Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a STRAIGHT 6 in your HotRod? Come On, stand up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, May 25, 2004.

1. wolfex1

wolfex1

OK, I'll bite. What exactly is a Sissell head? WX1

2. nexxussian

nexxussian

Aftermarket head, 12 port, aluminum, much higher power potential than stock, $$$$ naturally (but worth it if that performance is what you are after).

Several people have posted here, and on that 'tube site (search sissel 292, a 1950 pickup should come up).

3. 'Mo

'Mo

Kay Sissell is an absolute Wizard of the Inline!
    Here is an example of his alchemy.

[​IMG]

4. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Great thread here. I love the straight six. I have a '23 t-bucket which I named, "Six-Shooter". Engine is a '57 Chevy 235 CI with a single Rochester BC carb, straight exhaust, no muffler. Has a nice throaty rumble.

Attached Files:

5. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Sissel also modified the original cast iron heads by opening up the ports especially the siamese intake ports and then adding lumps to the intake runner for greater velocity and of course bigger valves and other such hot rod stuff. The man is a legend in the six cylinder world of hot rodding.

6. derbydad276

derbydad276

ford 300 inline c/4 mallory ign chrome aircleaner and valve cover
    I want to add the iron exaust from a newer engine to split it into duals

7. wolfex1

wolfex1

Thanks for the education. My head has been milled .060 and now has the 1.94 valves with heavier springs. The 292 block was zero decked and features the Clifford cam, intake and exhaust manifolds, and a pair of Webers. It's torquey enough for a 2.90 rear spun through a four speed to be fun to drive and still get 22mpg.

8. Heavychev

Heavychev
    from Radford,Va

all original six,with split manifold

Attached Files:

9. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

[​IMG]Seen these at the track last week
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. nexxussian

nexxussian

Oh yeah, definetly knew his stuff, but a modified orriginal head would be a "Sissel modified head", where as the aluminum head is the only thing I've ever heard of called a "Sissel head".

11. GH

GH

I have been working on a 51 GMC since last fall. It has a 311 ci GMC 6 banger. Look at YouTube "dieselgeek jimmy" this video was taken at the NSRA event st Springfield Missouri.

12. I ran a 250 ford in 53 f100 all over the country, got good mileage but couldnt get a speeding ticket. also my friend and i put a 292 chev in a international of all things. It runs like a dream.

13. 6narow

6narow

Now THAT'S a sweet little ride!
    Nice job, Six-Shooter.
    The "non-mufled" exhaust reminds me of something my dad did to his '74 Chevy 1/2 ton, back in the 80's when the original muffler crapped out.
    One of the local parts stores were selling 4 foot long generic Cherry Bomb's out of a garbage can for $10 a pop, so he picked one up and we sat under that truck and hacked up the pipe, then slid the "muffler" on.
    Truck sounded GREAT and picked up a little power, to boot!
    You're right about the sound, too. Not much louder than stock. Just a deep, mellow, throaty exhaust note.

14. 6narow

6narow

Are you saying you're running a .60 over 302 in that GMC?

6narow

15. 6narow

6narow

Aren't those known as "Lump Port" heads?

6narow

16. 6narow

6narow

Take note, people. This is one of the few times anyone's gonna claim their 292 got more than 12 mpg.
    Nice work, Wolf. She sounds like a hum dinger!

6narow

17. Camel

Camel
    from oroville

My pops just finished his 37 chevy pickup last year. He's got a 235 in it with Fenton headers, two Rochesters with an Offenhauser manifold. He used a T10 transmission and it runs great, not sure about his mpg but I know he wishes he had put a Tremec T5 in it for the extra gear. We did have to change the gears in the rearend to 3.55

18. wolfex1

wolfex1

I have been quite pleased with the results and performance. I won't win any races with that 2.90 rear, but it putts along at 2000rpm at 65 mph. I made a 256 mile trip to NSRA york and back and still had a quarter tank. I got the jet kits for the Webers and fiddled with it till I got it right. For the money I spent on it, I could have had a stout crate SBC, but you can't swing a dead cat by the tail at a show without hitting a SBC.

19. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a few to look at. All are top performers too.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

20. Stl_1963_Comet

Stl_1963_Comet

I am currently putting a 200ci inline ford into my 63 Comet. But in the future it will have a 250ci inline with a T5 5 speed.

21. scythe

scythe

Here is my '35 Dodge chop top. It has a '77 Nova front clip with a 250 cu. in. Chevy motor and th350 trans. I just picked up a 292 with a clifford intake (brand new) and headers for $275. The guy I bought the motor from kept it in the frame so I could hear it run and it runs great.

Attached Files:

22. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I would like to see that

23. 6narow

6narow

Scythe, nice.
    I may have to take a trip down to Olympia and check that one out.

6narow

24. melsfine39

melsfine39

This is what I'm working on. Its a 54 block with a 56 "848" head, also using a HEI dist. from Langdon's stovebolt engine co., I'm going to put it the 48 GMC pickup I'm building. Mel:D

Attached Files:

25. 39 cornbinder

39 cornbinder
    from califorina

I have a 39 international with a 89 ford 4.9 liter fuel injected 6 with a paxton supercharger and a c6 behind it. It's been on the road for two years and runs great. It sounds complicated but it was not that hard to do. You will have to fabricate all your own mounting brackets but beside that Ford Fuelinjection.com can help with the rest.
    good luck

26. gobi

gobi

I have allready shown my motor a few pages before. It's a russian flathead inline 6 , witch was original a Motor from a Doge D5 in the 30ths. Thats what I've been told.... ist that true? The engine looks verry fammiliar to a friends Plymoth from the 30ths.
    But the intake and outlet shows a complete differend pattern.
    So, could anyone tell me, wich Motor the russians have copied, or maybe the have canged something!?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do not look for the gearbox and the generator, there are special, because this engine comes from a amored vehicle...... (kind of tank)

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttGVLVf0S3A&feature=player_embedded

Sorry for my bad english, I'm german....

27. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Here's my supercharged Nash straight 6

Almost done!

ImageUploadedByTJJ1316415935.812909.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1316415959.529492.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1316415983.334011.jpg

28. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Woha, that's cool. Funny, too, as I was just sitting here thinking about combining an early Rambler with a Karmann Ghia body to make a Facel Nash, and wondering what an appropriate drivetrain might be.

-Dave

29. wolfex1

wolfex1

OK, I'm only ignorant until I ask, so here goes: Seems like added pressure to the intake side of the carbs would pressurize the carbs and force gas back into the float chamber and overcome the vacuum produced by the venturis. GMC 6:71 blowers have the carbs on the intake side of the blower, and consequently increase the pressure of the entire fuel/air mixture simultaneously. How does this system work?

30. nexxussian

nexxussian

The fuel pressure has to increase the same ammount the pressure in the carb does.

That is usually done with either a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator, or boost referencing the fuel pump itself.

The venturis still work fine, but you likely have to jet the carb different as there is a larger mass of air passing through under boost.