Register now to get rid of these ads!

FIXING out of round tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VA T, Aug 26, 2011.

1. VA T

VA T

I am re-posting "out of round tires" as a lot of us have been dealing with unsafe, out of round, small 16" tires. Here is a solution that can be done at home with some preparation, an angle head grinder, and 36 grit grinding disk.

Using a piece of 1 1/4" solid round, 22" long, I threaded 15" (12 tpi) on my lathe and made round nuts to match. Other end was stepped to fit early Ford spindle king pin boss and threaded for standard unf nut. Using heat and vice bending blocks, a 12 degree bend was done to make round stock run parallel to hub face.

The angle head grinder saddle was made from pipe and thin curved plate with plate angled 84 degrees to pipe. Don't weld solid until you are satisfied with alignment to tire tread. Two or three hose clamps secure grinder to saddle.

Grinder handle extension was made from bicycle tubing, scrap plate, and redi-rod. Extension helps control of grinder and your shoulder muscles will thank you.

I take high spots down by rotating tire back and forth and eventually letting grinder rotate tire while gloved hand controls rate of turning. The best thing about this process is you remove a minimum amount of tread. You don't have to "bury" a cutting wheel to maintain an even cut. The 36 grit disk does a fine job of leveling tread irregularities.

After four years of tedious low speed driving, I can drive my home built roadster at normal highway speeds!!! Even trued a cupped 15" radial tire on another vehicle--it now drives like new. THIS REALLY WORKS.

I am interested in comments and suggestions for improving this process.

Attached Files:

2. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Very good, keep it coming. i've been looking for a tire shaver for years. i think tire shops eschew them because there's no profit(very small profit) in shaving tires vs. telling the customer "they need new tires," "there's no way to fix this." etc. and selling a brand-new tire.

3. VA T

VA T

Here are a couple more pics.

Attached Files:

4. badshifter

badshifter

Looks good, and scary at the same time! I like it. Does it just grind them flat, or does it make a crown on the tire?

5. VA T

VA T

Try again for second pic.

Attached Files:

6. VA T

VA T

Actually it is not scary. It will grind a crown.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Might be smart to warm the tire up on the road, then take it off warm, to remove any flat spots it got from sitting with weight on it. If you are doing new, freshly mounted tires, then don't worry about it.

8. derbydad276

derbydad276

thats 1 hell of a mouse trap

9. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

The only question I have is how much are you gong to charge to fix out of round tires? With some changes you could also grind white walls.

10. toolman1967

toolman1967

Cheap simple fix....You Da Man!

11. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

That just made my day.LB

12. VA T

VA T

Thanks, Alchemy. I forgot to mention driving out the flat spots.

13. Rem

Rem

I like that.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

just throw em on the car and do a nice long burnout....same deal right?..but way more fun

if the ones out of round wont fit on back, then i guess you have this to play with

15. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

How about some pics of it in use ?

Dave

16. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Yes,I want to see that thing in use also.

17. PG

PG

Super rad! We have a truing machine at our shop. Yours looks like it'd probably do a better job and a cleaner one too.