Register now to get rid of these ads!

Track roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greeno, Aug 25, 2011.

1. greeno

greeno
    from Fresno,Ca.

Finally put together the pictures of my Track roadster build. This was an experience I will never forget. I was 70 years old when I started. It took me 20 months and $4800 to finish the build. I designed and built the entire car myself. This was my first attempt at building a car. When I was young my father had midgets and track roadsters. I built this car in his memory since he taught me almost every skill I have. He passed away at a young 56 years old from painting too many cars without a mask. He could have never given me a greater gift than the abilities that he gave me. I had told my wife for forty tears that someday I was going to build a car, I think she finally gave up--- then those dreaded words. IT WAS MALIGNENT. I figured if you are going to build that car you better get busy. Best therapy in the word. I'm now 76 and having a ball everyday.
    Gary http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.239436536093357.52695.100000810386178

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for that, Gary. I'm 54, and starting to feel like I've missed the boat...but your words are inspirational.

Best advice ever, considering life is so short..."Hurry up!"...lol.

Congratulations on reaching your dream.

BTW...can't see your pics, 'cause I don't have Facebook. Maybe someone can post them here on your thread.

3. greeno

greeno
    from Fresno,Ca.

Wish I new how to get the pictures on a site but facebook is all I know right now.
    Gary

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i watched the build from when it was posted on the NTBA website years ago , a very well built and beautiful car ,you are very talented gary ,

5. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Assuming I can access the photos on Facebook, I'll make an album of them and reply back to this thread with a link to them so folks without Facebook can see them.

Glad to hear the project worked out, I'm seeing if I can view the pics now-be back in a min.

6. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

very nice,looks like kick in the ass to drive

7. av8

av8

Congratulations, Greeno! I look forward to seeing pics of the build. I'm about to start on a build I've had in my head since the mid '60s -- a Meyers Manx style dune buggy. Not much of a hot rod in the classic sense, but I have an old-school roadster to my credit so I'm okay about stepping off the path now and then.

Mike

8. storm king

storm king

rickybop, I'm 56, my brother is 65, we haven't even begun some of the projects we're designing, cars, aircraft, motorcycles, etc. Age has nothing to do with it. Attitude is everything. Drive on!

9. gotmark73

gotmark73

LOVE IT, I am building a T and hope it comes out half as nice as yours.

10. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Almost got that album set up.

11. casper

casper

Gary,
    Thats a great story, your car has been a favorite of mine since the first time I saw it. Very cool !!!! Kenny.

12. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Getting this album together took a little longer than I thought it would, but here you go sir. It only allowed me to do 15 files for this post. I'll see if I can get the rest done soon.

If you'd like the images pulled down for any reason, just send me a PM or reply with "please take down" and I'll be happy to oblige.

Lil'Alb likes this.
  13. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

14. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

15. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

16. jipp

jipp

it turned out fantastic. great inspiration. hope to start my bucket come next two months.
    chris.

17. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

18. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Think this is the last of 'em. Thanks again for sharing, Greeno!

19. fleet-master

fleet-master

Hi there Greeno...love your track car!! the paint scheme really POPS! love it!
    bet your been havin a hole heap o' fun with it :):)

I'm lookin forward to gettin stuck into mine again real soon..click on my signature and you can check it out :D PB

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Absolutely stunning! A true inspiration to anyone considering building a hot rod.

21. halrod

halrod

Greeno, I'm about to turn 63 and you're what I want to be when I grow up.

22. hotcargo

hotcargo

Good onya Greeno , fantastic little car , I'm only a young 60 , and hope I'm still buildin' when I'm really old............

......................old guys rule

cheers

Steve in Oz

23. pistonhead

pistonhead
    from Chicago

Nice, what type of shocks?

24. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Wow...even foam cored your own glass body!

I love it when a guy starting with nothing but a dream just goes and does something, supposedly beyond reach, and makes it look SO good.
    Fine work man...beautiful job.

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

WOWOWOWOWOWOW! Congrats on a great build. You've got some neat ideas to steal! (I mean emulate). Gary

26. walter

walter

Nice job!! One of the nicest track roadsters I have ever seen. Old guys RULE!!

27. deuce354

deuce354

GREAT JOB!, I have always had a soft spot for track roadsters. My dad raced them from 48 til 51, that started a 35 yr carrear