Register now to get rid of these ads!

I keep buying cars instead of fixing the ones I have...WTF?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Black Panther, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I've worked on cars my whole life but now I think I have become the male version of the cat lady....wtf happened?

Found the Continental close by...it has been a car I lusted after for many years...'57, original paint....and the 1956 DeSoto was a recent Craigslist find...drove out to look at it and got it too. Lately I have found that looking for and buying cars is more fun than working on them....buying them is easier/fun thats for damn sure...maybe when it cools off here I will feel more motivation to work on my stuff.

I had a guy ask me...why are you buying that when you could sink that money into "insert car here"?

Anyone else have the same issue? I'm just finding that working on projects isnt as fun as it used to be....they need a hell of a lot more work than 20-30 years ago....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

I think we all do with,cars ,tools, woman......

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

I dig that lincoln!!

4. I do the same thing, or I pick up complete parts cars with the intention of using them for parts, when in reality it would be way cheaper to just buy the parts I need. Ran out of garage space and now theyve migrated into the back driveway and outbuildings. I ask myself "wtf is wrong with" me alot too... but all in all I still seem to get more done then most of my friends. Life's too short- just be happy you can still drag that shit home!

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The Continental is totally original, have the hubcaps and its been parked since 1970...there is a 1965 parking pass sticker on the front bumper from UCLA..motor turns by hand but do I really want to start it? The engine really needs to come out, get resealed, painted, and everything else...the amount of small shit that car needs to be driveable gives me the hives...

6. Join the club!
    Enjoy your collection

7. toddc

toddc

Me too! I can totally see why you bought it:D

8. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

There is a fine line between collecting cars for future projects/parts and becoming "one of those guys".

9. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

My friends are either too far away or dont know cars like we all do... To be honest that is why I love the Hamb...there are some guys like me, but there are some "younger" (and older) guys that actually build stuff from beginning to end and I get at least some small satisfaction at seeing something built from junk...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  10. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

me too

11. big_jae

big_jae

im always buying to "flip". thats what i tell my wife anyway, "i can sell this for double what im gettin it for." then it just sits lol

12. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I see you guys like the Continental like I did...when I first laid eyes on it...I was amazed at how original and unmolested it was...faded silver paint, dark grey and white leather interior, ac and black plates...check out the fresh air hose on the air cleaner, its a minimum of 40 years old!

Attached Files:

13. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Man, that Lincoln is sweet. It would be hard to let that one go.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I think I ran into someone exactly like this, he is now in or close to his 80's and has a huge stash of cars, but aint selling or driving any , but ,still busy working

yeah , nice lincoln man

15. I've got the exact same damn problem my friend. I had a 56 Buick, 55 Chevy, 31 Ford, 50 Ford, 70 Chevy, and my old car that I drive every day at the exact same time. I finally just had to start selling some of them. Got rid of the Buick, the 55 Chevy, and the 31 Ford. Now, I've got the 70 Chevy, 50 Ford, and a 40 Dodge Pickup that I also found on Craigslist. Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention a 42 Desoto that I've got waiting for me in a near by town if I come up with the rest of the cash. Honestly man, I just think that it is our version of buying new shoes or hand bags. I still want that 55 Chevy back. Oh well, maybe he'll sell it back to me in the future...:p

16. dexleo2

dexleo2

I have the same problem, I have a 1971 mach 1,1970 Mach 1, a 1972 Mach 1, a 1973 mustang coupe, two 31 model A bodies, 1985 Pontiac Trans am Drag car, 1982 Iron duke camaro, a 1992 ford F350 4X4, and my daily driver 2004 F250 4X4. I love buying cars its taken 5 years to put my 1971 Mach 1 together, and I'm working on one of the 1931 Model A Coupes and my wife has laid down the law of no more cars till one more than one car is completed. I think its the diamond in the rough snydrome.

17. seatex

seatex

Is it wrong that I'm looking for a early Ford truck instead of fixing my '29 cab/roadster or my '56 Sedan de Ville..................? Yeah, probably. I feel sick now....

18. I'm guilty of the same thing...constantly looking for new projects hahaha. It's a good sickness

19. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I'm glad other people have "the sickness". I bought a lot of stuff over the years because I could do this to it or I needed that part. Now that I've hit economic hard times my buying has almost come to a halt. I bought a 56 Ford a few weeks ago but my brother voluntarily gave me the money to buy it out of the goodness of his heart since he knows how I feel about those cars and he justified it about some work I had done on his vehicles. I have been hauling my O/T front drive vehicles to the crusher just to keep the wolf away from the door.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Been there, done that. I'm happy with the unfinished projects I have, but would buy another if it got my attention and I could off load enough stuff to pay for it. That is one thing I can never figure out. All my projects need parts, but something out of the blue comes along and I'll somehow find the funds to buy it, but wouldn't have sold the stuff for the other projects needed bits.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to have that problem...buying cars and not fixing them up...but I changed my ways.

Now I'm selling all my cars...and not fixing them up.

So proud of myself now.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That model of Lincoln has been on my "list" since I ever came up with a list. I've got an engine out in the milk house that could sure use that Desoto as a proper home too.

One of my buddies had so many "future projects" that he finally woke up and figured out if he finished one a year he would be 100 when the last one was done. I think he is on the ten year plan now.

I'm down to two Ot vans that need to be put together and sold, the 48 and the boat tail project. Well then also the 1-1/2 ton 51 Chev that needs a new home and the alleged daily driver econo box that is waiting for a trans repair.

23. So what are you saying, this behavior isn't normal?:D

24. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

AFTER 6 unfinish projects plus parts cars I.v quite buying any more

NO I JUST RAN OUT OF ROOM TO STORE INSIDE AND $$

25. Mwercometman

Mwercometman
    from Concord,AR

Its a disease I think,I have sold a few of my project cars in the last year,but I also picked up a 54 F100 w 52k miles.223 six,3 on the tree.added a set of rims and some white letter T/As,looks good,but did i need it,Hell no!just barely can pay my bills.AAnyone can go buy a new car,but you gotta be a car guy to drive a classic.I drive my 62 Comet 60 miles a dayMon thru Fri and I wouldnt have it any other way!well,a/c would be nice when its a 100*!!

26. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

Yep , I have that problem. My excuses are, it's better than money in the bank and get'em while their cheap lol .

27. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

A little is good, a lot is better, and too much is just enough! Open a used car lot!

28. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

If I had the money, the space and my wife would let me, I could easily become "one of those guys". Ive set my sites on finishing all my current projects. One 50 Coupe. One Bully BMX. One old Minibike.
    Andy.

29. Nominal

Nominal

Hey, at least you have good taste in car's and don't have a collection of something ugly and awful!

30. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

I do the same thing. I need to thin the heard. I love the hunt for old cars more than finishing them.

I am actually working on one now, and am determined to finish it before starting another.