Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grandfather gave me my Great Grandfather's 41 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Transslam, Aug 22, 2011.

1. darkk

darkk

I would sooooo love to drop the roof on one of these.....:)

2. Soooo,your name is "Race"? How cool is THAT???Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

3. Transslam

Transslam

Yeah my legal birth givin first name is Race, My grandfather and my dad dragraces so I had no chance....

4. Oh shit....I forgot to go check my 40 column for a shifter...I'll drive over to my storage garage right now to check and be back to you in an hour or so...sorry, got busy.

5. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

What a great car. Might be worth seeing if a pro can have a go at a small patch of paint. It's amazing what some folks can do with old paint and seem a shame to repaint it. Hope you find your shifter and post up some pics once you get the WW. Very lucky guy and keep that paperwork very safe!

Nice one, Dan

6. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

You know, I'm an idiot, so take this for what it's worth.

But ... .

Won't another '41 GM shifter work? I mean, maybe? Chev/Pontiac/Olds? Might not be chrome yet, but ... just sayin'.

Hope you find it.

7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

One of the first things that will help is to join in the BCA (Buick Club of America) they have a great group of people that can help with rare & needed Original, NOS, and, Repo parts for your '41. Here's a Link:http://www.buickclub.org/

Also, they'll have a Section on their Main Page that can get you to your local Chapter. For Buick parts & things of that nature, they're the best.(Check-out my Buicks in my Album Section. The '53 was restored with Original,NOS,and,Repo Buick parts gotten from BCA suppliers.)

For ALL of your other Rodding needs, help, info, and other Members with '41's, or early Buicks, that will try to help you, you're at the RIGHT PLACE: The H.A.M.B. !

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

8. You are going to love that old Buick. They are great cars and with a little tlc it will last you long enough to give it to your grand kids!

9. I spread my 40 buick parts out on the ground and clicked a photo..sorry, It has no shifter and I didn't find any provision for one either...it's been many years since I took this out of a 40 parts-car so I don't remember seeing a shifter with it...but I'm 99% sure all 40 Buicks had a column shifter..not a floor shift.
    Wish I could have helped.

Attached Files:

10. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Wow!!!!!!!! U r one lucky guy race! You were born to be on the HAMB! welcome
    Todd

11. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

What a great score! Welcome to the HAMB, Race. Keep us posted on you hunt for the shifter.

12. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

Have a similar car in a similar situation. This car belongs to a granddaughter. Been in a garage for years. She brought it to us to check out and get it running. Its a 1940 Buick 8.

Attached Files:

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

What a time capsule. I wouldn't do much with this one except freshen it up and drive it.

-Dave

15. Transslam

Transslam

Thanks for looking for me!!! I've been on the phone all morning getting bumped around to different people all morning looking for one. All I have gotten so far is a Buick part # 1317477 not sure if its correct thats what oldbuickparts.com told me the number was but didnt have anything.

16. Transslam

Transslam

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

He's the man though call him first when you need something, and he can find about anything.

18. Transslam

Transslam

said he didn't have one:(

19. Pharouh

Pharouh

Oh man, I love those old Buicks!

20. oldguy829

oldguy829

I have the shifter column out of my 41 Pontiac. Not sure how much crossover there was back then. Send me some pics, with measurements to [email protected] maybe we can tell if it will fit.
    Might want to call John's salvage in Seguin Tx. John has lots of the old stuff, be surprised if he didn't have it. He also has Hollander books going back about 50 years, plus his personal knowledge. He may know what else will work.
    830 303 9300, good luck.

Did you say it needs a gas tank? I got one for my 41 from John.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  21. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

what an awsome car. enjoy it...you are now the dedicated caretaker of it! my suggestions? leave it original for as long as you can, keep it dry, and preserve the paint. just know that rust isnt kind to the old cars so be watchful for it :) We are running Coker Classic Wide Whites on ours. Theyre great

22. howco

howco

Oh just put it down and drive it.........

23. Yes, get ahold of nicks here on the hamb. Thats all his dad fools with. Shoot him a P.M.

24. Or P.M. me your info and I will pass it along directly to him

25. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

26. 48buickkid

48buickkid

try teambuick.com,bobsautombilia.com, and even though im not going to restore my car i have found that the aaca forum is great place to prowl for parts, post a wanted ad on both the aaca and team buick sites something should come up. hemmings is a good source for parts. i only wish mine had history that i knew. One last thing make sure that u put some kind of zinc additive in whatever oil you use.pm me if you need anything else and try see if other buicks would work i know where a few are around none prewar though ill ask around

27. sololobo

sololobo

The Swedish example is perfect. Please don't mess with all that beautiful trim. Factory custom at it's best. Congrats on becoming the caretaker of this beauty. ~sololobo~

28. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Nice, clean her up and drive, thats all this one needs!!!

29. aceuh

aceuh

I can't say anything about this car that hasn't already been said... but I will...

Nice...
    Enjoy!