Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Power Window Kit For The Cadi Or....?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deville1904, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Deville1904

Deville1904

I have to fix my power windows in my 54 Cadillac Coupe. The motors are seized and I figured just starting new would be the best bang for the buck. 325 gets me a full kit with motors from autoloc. I already have someone who will install it properly and for a good price. My question is...
    Anyone ever convert to crank windows from power windows? I mean. I would do it if the cost was less and if it was even a possibility. =)
    Far less maintenance involved in the long run as well ;-)

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Have you tried McVey's or USA parts for the motors...??? Seems to me that replacing the motors would be cheaper and faster than trying to figure out how to and redoing everything...there's plenty of Cadillac suppliers around you shouldn't have trouble finding replacement motors. My '55 has power windows and were a pain to put back together after paint...I sure wouldn't want to try and reinvent the wheel...

My build:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

R-

3. Deville1904

Deville1904

Mcveys doesnt have motors. Parts USA has the motors alone listed at 150 each. If the kit I have in mind is only 325 and it comes with everything I need to create a whole new system then why not? Its actually an upgrade from the factory "power" window system.
    Again though. Would converting to a crank window set up be too tedious to even attempt?

4. fly 59

fly 59

might want to do a search on autoloc, havn't heard much good news about that company!

5. Deville1904

Deville1904

So what have you heard? If youre going to throw your two cents in make them count. ;-)

6. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Fly59 is right. Look them up

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

BUT, is it Cadillac specific...or is it "universal"...??? My Cadillac's rear quarter windows go up and then a short bit forward to connect with the front...

Wait, maybe I should ask if you're doing a two door hardtop or a four door...???

Universal NEVER fits anything in particular...and you'll do a lot of work to make it so.

And you know this how...did they tell you that or ...??? Again, is it '54 Cadillac specific...??

So if I read this correctly, you're asking if taking out the power motors and installing cranks would be any easier...??? I'd say no, cuz you're going to have to figure out the mechanism for cranks...but then again, I don't think I'd go "backward" if I already had power windows...

R-

8. fly 59

fly 59

autoloc, hoffman, helix, all the same group. poor customer service, cheap offshore parts that don't last and break down, just a waste of money are a few that come to mind. Like i said, "you might want to do a search"