Register now to get rid of these ads!

wheel/tire size full fendered 32 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheelswithinwheels, Aug 25, 2011.

1. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

Ok, chassis is ordered from P&J - thanks to all who helped me in that regard. I'd like to get a wheel tire package together to roll this thing around when it gets here. My plan is a full fender 32 deuce -down the road when I save up the $$. Would you guys please tell me what wheel/tire size fills the wheel openings the best without fitment issues? I would like to get as much tire under the car as possible. Is a 15" rim the way to go? 15x5" front/15x8" rear? I see that some guys manage to fit 15X8.5" into rear fender. I've never had research a wheel/tire setup without having the car. :eek:
    This is the stance I'm looking for:

[​IMG]

I guess that's a lowered rubber rake? Any insight into tires? Wheel preference? I like the look of Torq Thrusts or polished aluminum slots but also open to doing something different. Pictures would be great! (The chassis has hairpin/coilover suspension).

Thanks! :cool:

Doug

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

5.60-15's upfront on 5-6" wide wheels
    8.20-15's Recapped slicks with 8-8.5" wheels out back will give you that look above.

I love 16" wheels on most things but when it comes to late 50's and 60's type cars you can beat a set of 15" americans on nice rubber. Doyal Gammel coupe is case and point.

3. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

Thanks Jeff! :)

This is the advice I am looking for. Would the tire sizes you mentioned translate to either a 50/60/70 series? What would you recommend if I went with a radial? a kick in the nuts? :D (It's been a long time since I went tire shopping and I'm kinda confused as what I should put on a car such as this).

P&J said I'd need a 4.5" or 5" front wheel. You said 6" (?)

4. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

if you want radials....

For the rear look at BFGoodrich Longtrail TA tours they are a truck tire and but will ride nice with about 22 psi in em and do not have a real aggressive tread. This tire is the most reasonable choice for a relatively tall and skinny radial.

235/75-15 28.8" tall and about 9.5" wide on a 7" wheel
    265/70-15 29.6" tall and about 10.7" wide on an 8" wheel

Up front I would run the BFG radial t/a in a 155-15 It is about 24.5" tall and works well on a 4.5" to 5" wheel. The diameter is very similar to the ribbed tire that is on the Gammel coupe.

An 8" wheel will work on the back if the backspacing is right and you don't mind a little rub on the inside once in a while. Remember an 8" wheel measures 9" on the outside so it takes at least a 10" wide tire for it to look good. I like the American TTO's and don't forget about www.team3wheels.com their five spoke is nice and they can do some different backspacing. pretty much all of their wheels kickass....

5. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

dontlifttoshift:

:) Thanks again man - for this info and your advice on the chassis. Sorry for another noob question but are bias ply tires with the pie crust the way to go for this period look? Are radials kind of frowned upon? :confused: Just thought I'd ask someone who knows. :cool:

6. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

There not frowned upon. Lots of guys are running radials on here. I feel your pain and confusion just played the wheel and tire guess the right size game for my 32" Hiboy....

Wheels and tires are one thing that can make or break a car. Size and style play a key role

7. walls

walls

You should do a search for this stuff just to see for yourself, how much this has been talked about. It's a never ending debate.

If you're going black wall radial, look at the excelsiors from coker.
    I'm not personally a fan of radial whitewalls but, if you decide to, under a fendered car, you might pull it off. Diamondbacks possibly?

The bias will look period because, they are from that period;).

Good luck.

8. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

Mayor, thanx as well again for your advice.:cool: Yeah, it is confusing - not just for getting the look I envision, but wanting to not make a $$ mistake and having new shiny doorstops.

9. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

great advice, will check out coker, thanks man!

10. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Oh yeah for sure. Def dont wanna make that mistake. If your lookin' in the five spoke mag (american like) wheel range . Check e*ay auctions - They have several good deals on americans and also the new Americans made by rev Licensed by American Racing that are CHROME! We just put a set of those on a O/T 68' Camaro big's and lil's looked sweet and the best part no polishing ! - Mayor

11. What is the width of the rear axle?,,that can make a big difference in the width of the wheels. HRP

12. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Yeah HRP serves a good point. Ive always heard fender cars you run a 55" rear axle - and Hi-boys 57" rear axle .

13. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

56" rear axle width. Good point. Chassis is being built so now is the time to decide stuff like that.

thanks HRP :).

14. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put some steel junk wheels and approx size tires on it for mock up, then you can check size, width back spacing, looks, etc. They are going to get trashed anyway.
    I looked a lot of coupes & noted the sizes I liked, thats what I'm rolling mine around with, I like the 15" look, but then again it's my taste. Good luck.

15. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

hmm, another ingredient thrown into the mix lol. I thought about maybe narrowing the rear slightly since the chassis is yet to be built - now would be the time to decide. I don't want to get into a fix where I have to cut the inner wheel well of body to fit wheels but would like to have that extra inch (55") if it helps me get a wider tire under there. Damn, just don't know about this stuff since I've never done this. :confused:

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

No they are absolutely frowned upon haha!!! I don't want to get into this but radials look like shit especially on a hot rod. That's one way you will certainly kill the look of your car. There's just no comparison to the looks of bias ply. Radials don't belong on traditional hot rods....period.

Now, Cody at hurst will recap a radial with a slick that has a sharp sidewall and that looks great. The rolling bones guys (or guys that run with them) run something that's a radial I think but even that can be spotted a mile away.

If you like driving old cars then drive them like they're old cars. I love the driving experience of bias plys. Sure it wanders a bit more then radials but if I wanted to drive something that felt like a new car why would I climb in an old car at all?

So yes, I recommend a kick in the nuts :D Just kidding, I understand some people like radials but ask yourself this. When's the last time you seen a hot rod that was a total package that was running radials? I can only think of one and it's Josh's 's (Tudor) 32 coupe here on the HAMB and it's got slicks out back.

17. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

I know that's the smart way but I'm kind of overanxious to get the wheel/tire dilemma piece of the puzzle out of the way lol. :D It will be a long while ($$) until I get to the point of a body on this chassis. Thank you!

lolol thanks man. You made up my mind right there. 100% right. Your reply makes a lot of sense and reminds me of Dubbzilla's thought out response to my questions of hairpins vs 4 link a short time ago and whether I wanted an old car to handle like a new one or enjoy the fact that the period of the car I want to build comes with the enjoyment of driving it like it was back then.

Thanks gents for your opinions, info and time for me! :cool::cool::cool:

18. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Not to throw another kink in to the plan . Backspacing on your wheels also play a key part in this ... The right amount of backspacing can give you plenty of inner fenderwell room. and still have the deep look

19. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I run 165/80 series 15's on the front of my 32 ( 4.5 width rim )
    and 235/75 series 15's on the rear. Both are radials.

My rear rim is 7 inch but a 8 inch will fit without rubbing. My rear end is 56 inches measured from WMS ... to WMS.

You cannot get any wider than 64 or so inches total width or the rims and tires will hang out from under the rear fenders. With a 56 inch rear end WMS to WMS ... a rim with more than 4 inches offset to the outside ... will protude.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My rims are 7 inch ... with 4 inches to the front and 4 inches to the rear.

[​IMG]

I had a pair of 8 inch rims on the rear ( 4" to the outside/5" to the inside ) and they cleared good. I had a 265 15 tire ... but I did not like the look and the smaller tire rides better. :)

Disclaimer :
    I have been told that a fiberglass 32 coupe and fender is about a 1/2 inch wider ... than the 64 inch meaurement on a original Henry coupe.

20. Jeffery you are being totally closed minded,there are a lot more good looking cars here on the hamb that run radial tires other than Josh.

I prefer the bias ply on my cars but some others like radials,,two examples come to mind,,,HRP

Barry's coupe,,

[​IMG]

Randy's roadster,,

[​IMG]

21. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Im with HRP on this - Its a matter of opinion and we all know the saying tagged to that . I like the Cheater slicks and the radials too. But you have to also admit there are reasons why they quit puttin' bias plys on cars . And I got a feelin' they didn't do it to just to piss you off - Mayor

22. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

A lot of HAMBERS who drive their cars long distances ... actually prefer the radials. :eek:

I often drive my roadster or 3W 500 miles in one day. Radials ride better, STOP better and handle better. Both my 32's were around " back in the day " and have run bias ply tires in the past. I am willing to give up the " traditonal harsher ride, poorer stopping, higher thread wear and LOOKS " for the improvements of a radial tire :) ;)

23. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Check out Bobby Alloway's cars. He is a guy who knows how to fit tires on hot rods.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

HRP, I don't mean to sound close minded and my statements were said jokingly because I was feeding off what the OP what saying. However that doesn't mean that I can't have a POV on radial tires and how they look. I mean some people hate flatblack and red wheels. Some people hate SBC's. I happen to zero in on radial tires because I happen to love cars when they have what I feel are the right tire (In my own opinion). Do some people have great cars with radial tires? Sure, but do I think they would look way better with some skinny bias-ply firestones, well you bet I do.

I was afraid of this. I know that radials outperform bias ply any day of the week and you guys probably have put more miles on both types of tires then I could only dream about. I get that an totally respect that.

All I way saying is that they don't look right on an old car and when I say right I mean not in a personal preference but in a "restoration of a hot rod" kind of way. If you have tilt columns, radials and whatnot on it because you drive it a shit load I can totally understand and respect that but it's a modern convenience and looks like one too.

It's all in what you want out of your hot rod. Do you want it to sorta kind look like a traditional hot rod and drive like a "dream" or do you want to feel it as it once was 60 years ago?

Again I don't want to seem closed minded and disrespectful. I love all your hot rods I just have personal preferences like most of yall. A big part of beautiful car is it's stance and wheel/tire selection and that's what I stay up at night obsessing about.

-JJ

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think these are the same that some of the guys that run with the Rolling Bones crew run as I stated earlier. They are a better alternative but still leave something to be desired especially on the front. Bitchin car for sure and one I would give my left foot for (although it better have an auto if that ever comes to a head :D ) but just like the rest there might be something you would change to make it your own right? I would put 5.50's and 6.00' on there if it were mine.
    [​IMG]

Ok I am done.

26. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

So... the only way to be certain of getting the best fit is to finish the car (almost) :D Thanks Mayor :cool:

Randy, I've studied your pics and your info. Thanks, you have been very helpful, as always.

thanks for the heads up :cool:

and Thanks Jeff for your input!

27. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Yep! Everyone's personal experience will get you close but perfect fit comes from perfect measuring of YOUR car. That's truth right there....

That said, general guidelines 29" to (max on a fendered car) 30.5" in the and 24.5 to 25" , the big ones go in back:)

28. I totally get where you are coming from,I obsessed for months about how my truck would set,I drive my cars hard and love my bias ply skinny's,,and yeah,I think Randy's roadster would be bitchin' with the same wheel and tire combo I have on my truck,,except I don't think he would go for the green wheels!:D HRP

29. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I have run bias ply tires on the sedan and roadster.Many many miles.But last summer in the Spokane valley just west of Post Falls, I had the back tires get into a truck rut in the concrete highway that the front tires werent in.I changed lanes before I knew it! scared the S*** OUT OF ME. I'm going to put on some radials for the road trips.

30. Terry R Vaughan

Terry R Vaughan
    from wash state

If you are building from the ground up.Start with setting the body on the frame and put the Tire and wheel combo that your heart is set on in place. Build the rear end to fit the wheels - body & make sure you are committed to fenders or no. This keeps you from guessing what will work and from buying more than one set of tires and wheels. If you copy the tire / wheel combo on a car you like you have to know all about the other chassis etc. If you run fenders in the front you pretty much need a wheel with zero offset because of tires rubbing fenders. I say run the tires that make your car look right - safe for you and yours. Pic 1 - 16x8.5 US TT Pic 2 - 15x4x" vintage Pic 3 -15x8.5 AM TT 60's - Pic 4 - Is a customers 32 with 15x6 in back and 15x4 in front Terry

Attached Files: