Register now to get rid of these ads!

PAINTERS: What air pressure do you spray at?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteFromTexas, Aug 10, 2011.

1. scottb356

scottb356

I don't believe the recall issues in the 80's had anything to do with waterborne paints. all of the Am manufacturers were having issues from the start with paint peeling. I have a friend that worked in the body shop at a Ford delaer, and his sole job was repainting roofs and hoods that were peeling. I don't know what the actual cause of this was, but my guess was the e-coat was too slick for the following layers of paint to stick to.

Oh and

high volume low pressure:rolleyes:

2. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

HVLP: High Volume Low Pressure.

I use anywhere from 5 to 45 LPS. at the gun. What ever gives me the best atomization at the "Sweet Spot" Look at the spray pattern and you'll see it. Before the SS it will be heavy looking *(the pattern) after the SS it will look like it's breaking up.

Spray were it's even, get a smooth paint job.

Listen to the gun it will tell you. When it sounds smooth your there.

O yah Anyone can do Body and Paint work!!!

The Old Tinbasher

3. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford and GM had the most failures. It was mainly due to not having enought film build or paint film thickness. I checked a lot of new vehicles back then, and found some with as little as 1.5 mils of total paint and primer thickness, when there should have been 4.5 to 8.5 mils. They could not stand up to the sun's UV and other factors that would degrade a finish. All coatings/paints need to have enough film thickness for the ingredients in the coating to resist UV and chemicals. The better the type of product the more it resists degrading. Almost all of those paint failures showed damage more on hoods, roofs, and trunklids, which recieve most of the suns direct rays.

overspray

4. Clik

Clik

I thought maybe it was due to a switch to water based.

Maybe they were just being cheap with the paint or a combination of that and using less paint to get their VOCs down to acceptable EPA levels (If there's ever such a thing as acceptable to EPA. Gotta keep that goobermint job ya know).

5. 2racer

2racer

high volume low pressure

6. outlaw256

outlaw256

conventional gun 40 50lbs. whereever it worked out good. never the same settings.hvlp gun around 10 to 20. sometimes more sometimes less. in our shop it was High Volume Low Pay!! LOL

7. jay7262

jay7262

High volume,Low pressure

8. jay7262

jay7262

As long as you have decent air movement and steady air temps. then the waterborne basecoats work fine, they cover good and lock the metalics, Everything gets topcoated with polyurethane clear anyway because they can't manafacture a waterborne clear that will hold up to the UV of the sun. That's why there was so much "de-lam" during the 90's because the clearcoats sucked, did tons of warranty work in the old days... I spray by ear regardless of air pressure regulators.