Register now to get rid of these ads!

41 Chevy 12 volt conversion problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PaxtonsDad, Aug 18, 2011.

1. PaxtonsDad

PaxtonsDad
    from Angola, IN

My friend converted his 41 Chevy to 12 volts. Now, high and low beam have switched. The high beam indicator is on when the low beams are on. And when applying the brakes, the dash lights come on. Any ideas?? The amp gauge seems to be working fine. He always had his car hooked up 6 volt neg ground. Now its 12 volt neg ground. Had his original generator converted to 12 volts with a 12 volt reg. Changed all of the bulbs to 12 volt. 1157 bulbs in the rear. No park lights up front. No turn signals on vehicle as of yet. The only bulbs to change were the two rear lights and dash lights. Any ideas??

2. markjenks

markjenks

Gimme a sec, pulling out my wiring diagram.

3. markjenks

markjenks

There is no way that the headlight switch would reverse, unless you are now running Positive ground. Make sure that you have everything connected properly, and also, if you are using a regulator, make sure that you polarize it once it is installed. It could be generating backwards.

4. swap the wires at the dimmer switch

5. fatstax

fatstax
    from cobourg

sounds like a ground fault, possibly due to higher voltages but it could be a fluke. tell buddy to take a set of booster cables, attach one end to the neg on the battery and the other end to a ground point on the body or frame or both, this is how i find ground faults. they can be tricky, grounding out through switches and other things you might not expect

6. if no wires were changed
    one of the bulb sockets has a back feed
    take a tail light bulb out then the other

7. PaxtonsDad

PaxtonsDad
    from Angola, IN

Thanks for the info, I told him there might be a bulb problem, but didn't think about polarizing the reg. We'll check and I'll let y'all know what we find.

8. Ironclad

Ironclad
    from Covina

Delete post

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014