Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford 302

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pistolitas, Aug 24, 2011.

1. I have a 95 mustang motor with a reverse water pump for a serpertine pulley was wondering if theres other water pump that i can use looking for v belt set up ..

2. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

you will need an older timing cover and every thing will bolt on...
    the serch is very helpfull

3. rallisracing

rallisracing

use any 1978 back pump..it'll bolt up, but there are different lengths...an early aluminum pump(65 back 289) is the exception...that takes a different timing cover...

4. What years have open perpeller water pump with out reverse rotation

5. savannahDan

savannahDan

for what it's worth, you have a "short" front drive system on that engine. It's about 1 3/4" shorter than a typical water pump/balancer setup on fords, even compared to other serpentine drives. To change to V belt, you will at least need a water pump, different pulleys for crank and water pump, a different alternator mount, and I'm pretty sure you'll need a different timing cover. If you get used parts, it's best to get a matching system all off the same car so you don't end up chasing pullies and brackets. You also need to consider which side you want the lower radiator hose to exit the water pump, as passenger and driver side are available, though you need whichever timing cover matches the pump you want to use. Otherwise, the hose outlet will cover the timing pointer.

That short drive system can be sold to guys looking to swap a 289/302 into an early ford, as it will give enough room for everything to fit without cutting the firewall.

6. slepe67

slepe67

Tons of threads on this. I think I even started one. Might look for "V Belt Conversion" or something like that. I'm getting ready to start working on my motor again, so I need to track all this down as well. Will update with a link later.

JEFFB2 (HAMB resident-expert on this conversion) posted a good thread on this in October, 2008. Here's a PM Conversation Jeff and I had a while back, COPY & PASTED:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by slepe67
    Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by JeffB2
    You are getting a lot of info on your post that is confusing and some is BS,I posted info on this subject 10/18/2008.The problem is Ford changed the height of the harmonic balancers and also the length of the water pumps so if you try swapping pulleys they usually won't line up.I can probably point you in the right direction if you answer two questions.#1 are you going to run a front sump pan? #2 is the lower hose on the radiator drivers side or pass side?
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I am running a rear sump oil pan

I can not remember what side the lower hose is on. It's at my welders' right now getting brackets welded on. It is a 65/66 Mustang radiator, for 289.

Help any? I posted more info on the post. THanks for the help, I appreciate it!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    JEFF:
    OK,since you are running the rear sump pan you can use your original timing cover since you can retain your existing dipstick on the drivers side.To make it EZ go to Summit and order a Professional Products 50 oz balancer part #80007(this is what I have) these are the same length as the early short balancer used in 66-69 Mustang 289's.These balancers are drilled for both 3 and 4 bolt pulleys they are also marked with the early and late SBF timing marks,go to O'Reillys or Autozone and get the matching water pump for a 1966 289 Mustang then go to ebay and put these numbers in search and you'll be home free:320364890660 and 120389851321 .

NOTE: the ebay numbers do not work anymore, so you'll have to figure that bit out. Let us know what you find!

7. mines a 87 with the conversion. water pump, now has mechanical fuel pump which you get with the timimg cover, front dip stick. got to get pulleys
    this is in a 50 ford. went with the front sump pan and notched x member for lots of clearance for the rack and pinion steering
    oh don't forget the oil pump

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  8. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

Had the same problem with mine but I was running a serptine belt and had early stuff for v belts. I had a serptine motor 302 from a 1978 mustang but when I rebuilt it the timing cover was bad got another one from a guy and I installed a early water pump didn't know the difference till I started the motor and no water circulation!! Jegs sell a universal timing cover for$125.00 for both styles water pumps, and a new water pump for napa $50.00 problem solved. Joe

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If you buy that timing cover from Jegs you are getting ripped off ,Speedway has it for $69.95 part# 910-17407.the balancer part# is 910-15365-50 $67.99 which will allow you to use either 3 or 4 bolt pulleys, the 3 bolt early V-belt pulley sets can be had in chrome for around $75 aluminum sets will run around $165 from CVF Racing. Here is a bunch of info from an earlier posting that has helped a lot of 302 owners:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303600 scroll down to post#5

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011