Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grandfather gave me my Great Grandfather's 41 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Transslam, Aug 22, 2011.

1. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Great car, very sentimental history. Keep it as is, it is restored. Pot metal can be repaired by someone that knows what they are doing. Otherwise just replace this part. Glass felts and window rubbers etc are available as are most mechanical parts. A few things and it's ready to drive the doors off.

2. choptup 49

choptup 49
    from so-cal

Holy crap! My neighbor just picked one of those in Compton Ca. He paid 4500 buck, it runs and drives. I thought his was a steal! I'm trying to sell him some teardrop skirts! Great Car!

3. Curt Six

Curt Six

I might be interested in your teardrop skirts! Can you send me a PM with some info (photos, price, etc?)

4. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

Wow you gotta love grandpas and old buick. I have my great grandfathers 1940 buick limited.

I have a build thread here on the Hamb bit it doesn't explain the history much.
    I'm jealous yours IS in better shape then mine. That 248 is a good motor.

Of you want more info on straight eight buick check out the straight 8 section in teambuick.com .have found most of the info there.

Good luck and congrats drive the pods out of it

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?18865-Wanted-to-introduce-myself-and-my-limited

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

After making it 70 years with your grandfathers not screwing it up, it would be a shame for your legacy to be remembered as the one who did. I'd clean it up and get it running good, then just drive it carefully.

6. Orn

Orn

Here’s a couple of pics of my 41 that I sold three years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I made this comment on another thread............although we are hot rodders there are certain cars that are just too nice to mess with. This is one of those cars. It survived for so many years as it is, and has such a rich family history, this old Gal deserves to be kept stock. She's a beaut ! :)

These straight 8 Buicks were GREAT road cars. When I was a kid we had a 48 Roadmaster convertible and every year we drove it from Pennsylvania to Florida for our vacation. People think these old cars were not reliable, but they were made to drive, even on long trips.

You have been given a really special gift there, you are the new caretaker. :) Oh yeah, put WWW on her, our Buick had them and it took the car from plain to cool. Coker can fix you right up.

Don

8. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

You have a once-in-a-lifetime find right there.

Clean it up, find a new (stock) shifter handle and get it running.

Fix the shocks if they need it. Buy new (bias-ply) tires.

And maybe--just maybe--lower it a little bit.

That's literally all it needs, in my opinion. Untouched cars are so rare, and it's a piece of art the way it sits.

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Coker has what you need.

Jamco can hook you with coils to lower it tastefully and safely.

That paint will wax/buff out and look awesome.

Skirts please.

Then it's all gravy from there...

I like the dual master idea.

All in all it's awesome...

10. Curt Six

Curt Six

In addition to the team Buick site noted above, you may want to buy a copy of California Bill's book on hopping up inline engines. He's got a chapter on fireballs that covers some of the common tricks of the time, including a pretty easy fix for those engine's oiling issues. If you dig through old Hop Up magazines, there are actually a few articles in there, too.

That is, of course, if you want to *gasp* modify your car :) I'm still not clear how customizing a car is doing a historical disservice to your family's heritage. My grandfather would be pretty stoked to see me doing what I do. You've got a really nice platform for whatever you decide to do. It sounds like either way the car is going to be on the road, in use. That's what's important.

11. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I agree. For all we know great grandpa may have dreamed many years of giving the car a few custom touches and just was never able to get around to it, and would be stoked to see the youngster fulfilling his dreams.
    Even if he hadn't dreamed of it, he'd probably still be happy knowing the kid had it, and was lovingly making it his own.

12. mlagusis

mlagusis

very nice car. Good to see it stay in the family.

13. glassguy

glassguy

dammit cleatus , your always rite!!

14. Transslam

Transslam

my grandfather owns a body shop and wanted me to take the car apart and bring it back to him to repaint it, the pics make the paint look a lot better than it really is and on top of that i think the car was repainted in the early fifties. but it is all straight, all there and doesnt have any rust. No dramatic custom stuff will be done to the car, my grandfather is picking me up a set of White Walls for it from Coker. My grandfather is big in the nostalgia stuff, he runs a Jr. Fuel front motor dragster and has been dragracing dragsters & funny cars since he started driving. Some of you may know him his name is Ron Ussery from Carrollton, TX, Im his Grandson Race Ussery. He has won the hot rod reunion Dragster class in Bowling Green several times and just one a Race in Denton, TX a few weeks back.

15. prttyplymouthgal

prttyplymouthgal

Yep I agree :)

16. NomadJerry

NomadJerry
    from Near LAX

No, fix the things that need fixing, clean and polish her and THEN drive it. A car sitting around that long would get stuck out the first trip you take without new hoses, fan belt, radiator flush, oil change, tranny & rearend checks, gas tank flushed, carb rebuilt, etc. As for tires I'm sure someone has told you about Coker Tires. Best source and get some Firestone Deluxe Champion Wide Whites. It will look sweet! No need to repaint or rechrome if it doesn't absolutely need it. And all that paperwork is precious. I hope do drive it back to the original Dealership. Call them before and if they are smart, they will get photos and put them in the local press. Good luck! You've got a real gem there!!

17. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

This thread needs a poll option to vote customize it or hopefully, leave it.

18. I'm trying to get a 46 Buick in the shop here that comes from a similar situation. Owner (grandson) and grandfather working on it after being in storage since '64. Grandfather dies 1 month after starting restoration. Current owner knows nothing about cars and just wants to drive it. Other local shop are wanting the car and are giving astronomical bids for a total resto. We told the owner we would do what we could to keep costs down by repairing only what the car needs to be a survivor/ driver. Looks like the guy may bring it to us soon.

OP: good luck with your new car. Keep us posted on the progress!

19. yardgoat

yardgoat

Congrats on new car !!!!!WOW thats sweet,im turning green w/envy..............YG

20. Transslam

Transslam

The car is going to stay like it is.................any mods will be very mild and completely reversable.

21. Transslam

Transslam

BTW I'm in very high need for a shift lever for this thing if anyone can come up with one!!!!!

22. Transslam, I am glad that you have decided to keep the car in original condition!
    I know those aren't tractor lights, I just think they clutter the front end (on most cars). That is my smart mouthed way of degrading them. Bumper guards and accessory lights used to be a popular dealer add on. I prefer a cleaner look. More to what the designers had in mind.
    Good luck on the shifter. I hope someone here can help you come up with a replacement.
    I think you will have a lot of fun with this car!

~Alden

23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Around pic 11 I see a razor blade and a green towell. Is that for the rest of us to slit our wrists out of jealousy? Great story,great car.

24. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I never get tired of seeing threads like this. Absolutely one of my most favorite Buicks if not my favorite. I had a 37 coupe with the straight 8. Grat car wish I still had it.

48 Poncho

25. slim tempo

slim tempo

Drive it over to my house and I'll help you shine it.

26. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I vote for visor and skirts.. The 41 buick is my favorite car made in the 40s!

27. If you do anything to that car other than clean it and get it serviced your crazy. Nice car...

28. Transslam

Transslam

Anybody know a 41 Buick Parts God this shifter is killing me........

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would think that shifter fits quite a few other GM cars, maybe even a few orphans like Packard or Hudson. To make it easier to determine that, you might want to gather up all of the broken pieces and epoxy it togehter to see what it looks like in useable condition. Just a thought...

30. 38Fish

38Fish

NICE CAR!! What you decide to do with the car is up to you.....I'd get it driveable and enjoy it. If you want to lower it, fine. It's your car. I'd leave the metal as is, a visor, WWW, freshen up interior, hoses, seals, gaskets, clean fuel and cooling systems AND change that oil !! it's a bit over due !.......and drive!

Fish