Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dan Crites Hemi Anglia Maryland? info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Busted Knuckles, May 16, 2010.

1. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Looking for pics n info on the car and owner, 48 Fiat, possibly others as well. Known as the Pride of Baltimore . it was kept at a car lot/ garage on Belle Grove Road in AAco. Right out side of Pumphrey. Just south of Baltimore next door to my grandfathers farm and house. Was white from what I remember, my dad says he was known around the are and set a few records at Capital and other tracks in the Md area.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. dbradley

dbradley

Here some info found at draglist.com search on: (there is a single picture there with info)

1978 - Category: ALKYALT, Type: GN, Class: B/A, Div: 1

Dan Crites from Baltimore, Maryland USA (Lic: 1043) 1978 - Category: ALKYALT, Type: GN, Class: B/A, Div: 1
    "The Pride of Baltimore" Owned by Dan Crites from Baltimore, Maryland USA Crew Chief: Dan Crites
    '48 Fiat Topolino by an Unknown chassis builder | Powered by a 440 cubic inch Chrysler Hemi with 3 speed manual transmission
    1/4 Mile ET: 8.425 at Unknown | 1/4 Mile MPH: 163.00 at Unknown
    1/8 Mile ET: Unknown at Unknown | 1/8 Mile MPH: Unknown at Unknown
    1000 FT. ET: Unknown at Unknown | 1000 FT. MPH: Unknown at Unknown
    For ALKYALT in 1978 the Avg ET is 8.0667, Avg MPH is 167.910. This entry: ET is 1.04442106 times Avg; MPH is 0.97075814 times Avg
    Entry's 1978 ALKYALT Performance (0 to 100): ET Rating is 33.44, MPH Rating is 38.62
    No Racer Website

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  3. TOE

TOE

Is the car still around?

I live 5-10 minutes from Belle Grove / Pumphrey.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Toe, Im not sure if it is , I remember the car as a kid and was wondering about it after speaking to my dad a few weeks back about the car

5. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

6. So it's a FIAT, not an Anglia as the thread says?

7. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Fiat, I was remember this from being like 5 years old!

8. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

I remember seeing the car at his little used car lot.. There was always a couple more race cars there too..

9. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

10. So this was late 70's...early 80's? Just trying to get a feel for the time frame. Maybe it could help jog some folks' memories.

11. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

12. papphonda

papphonda

we used to follow a b altered circuit for speed unlimited shop,,, dan had and open body fiat at the time b altered we ran a 48 austin the old Poole bros car we ran b and d altered ,, at capital , aquasco and mason dixon tracks around md..

13. guffey

guffey

I went to see him in about 1991. He was the 3rd and last owner of the Sox and Martin Paper Tiger AWB 1965 Plymouth. He had it after Buckeye and Vernon (Veron Rowely and Buckeye Phillips?) I wanted to talk to him in person about the disposition of that car. I ended up buying some hemi parts from him. He was not racing any more at that time. On a side note a friend of mine remembers pitting beside Crites at Indy one year and he had the Hemi powered Fiat at that time.

14. grod589

grod589
    from Eastern PA

Here is a picture of the Fiat

Attached Files:

15. papphonda

papphonda

i can remember Dan needed to lose some weight in the car, he cut the top of the roll bar and welded thin walled exhaust pipe and covered it with foam pipe wrap... h e would do anything for speed
    i know own the paper tiger car just sitting collecting dust

16. RacerRose

RacerRose

I have a pic or two, and will post it soon. My Dad knew Dan as he was also a Hemi racer too.

17. RacerRose

RacerRose

Ask, and ye shall recieve! This is a scan of a postcard handout that Dan gave my Dad or older brother. On the back, it says cars best was 8.32 @ 162 mph, and was the B/A record holder in both the NHRA and IHRA. This is from the late 70's before he painted the car green.

[​IMG]

And yes, it is not an Anglia.

18. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

19. rick crites

rick crites
    from maryland

this is Rick Crites I have the back now after 30 years i live in =baltimore highlands across the light rail

20. rick crites

rick crites
    from maryland

I am Dan's nephew i have my old Fiat it is at 4118 Baltimore street in baltimore highlands

lothiandon1940 and Dave Ratliff like this.
  21. Another mystery solved by the HAMB.:)

22. vpfs

vpfs
    from MD

Yes it was Vernon Rowely and
    Buckeye Phillips, Ronnie Sox would drive for them on occasion in the old Sox and Martin cars after Ma Mopar made Sox and Martin sell the fuel cars and get back to more "stock" classes.

23. Dave Ratliff

Dave Ratliff

Hey Rick,
    You may not remember me but I'm Harold Ratliff's oldest boy Dave. Was recently telling a friend about you all and Danny's car and found this post. Hope all's well for you all and great to see that Danny is still remembered so well. Take care

24. Dave, Are you related to Ed Ratliff? Think he's in the Alexandria, Va. area now.:)