Register now to get rid of these ads!

1931 ford coupe visor rattle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rancidboys, Aug 24, 2011.

1. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

I just purchased a 1931 ford coupe that sits on 32 rails has a nice stance to and runs great but my only problem is the sun visor rattle and flapping is that normal on a coupe? what's the best way to eliminate the rattle and flapping it does when im going down the highway??? does anyone have any info or pics to help me out thanks again guys....

2. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

I tacked a piece of one by one square tubing in the center underneath to keep it from doing that and worked out great and you cant tell its there

3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

you're lucky-mine blew almost completely off and ripped my top!

4. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

any pics of the work

5. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

mines about to rip off lol

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

On 28-29's there's holes all along the underside of the visor to screw into the wood header.. Don't know about 30-31's.. I thinked they are tacked down from the top....

7. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

no there similar to the 28-29 they get screw into the wood but thats how my car it set now and it still vibrates and wiggles like its gonna just rip off...

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Holy cats! You mean you're driving that thing more than 50MPH? Easy fix... just slow down!

Reinforcing the front edge is without addressing the mounting may result in ripping the visor right off the car rather than solving the shake and rattle problem. If you didn't replace the wood header under/behind the visor you should at least use some form of wood restorative/hardener like that sold by many restoration product companies. Then think about using screws across the top rear edge rather than the tacks that were originally used there.

The top wood header is usually the first piece of structural wood in a Model to deteriorate from moisture and rot. We sold hundreds, if not thousands, of Model A top wood headers over the years.

9. vegas

vegas

Sounds like the wood header is rotten underneath.

10. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I will second that, I put threaded inserts in my wood header to screw into for my visor. I doubt it is necessary, but I figured if I was to take the visor off for some reason, I would have something to thread back into?

Before I put the wood header back on the visor was screwed onto the metal cover for the header, and that cover was welded onto the window frame.

I tried driving the car once with the visor held on only with the four end bolts while I was replacing the header and it was a mess. The thing was jumping up and down so bad I was afraid it was going to break the old visor. With it correctly back screwed into the wood header the visor doesn't move at all.

Cheers
    RustyNCA

11. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

Don't have any pics right now,im out of town working but when I get back home I can send you one to let you see it

12. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I never heard any rattle when I drove my coupe around all I heard was the motor:)

Attached Files:

13. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Rotten header for sure. Mine flapped around like crazy and I made a header out of steel and now it's rock solid.

14. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

thanks for the info and ill slow down next time

15. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

well i still have the original wood on this car so im pretty sure its rotten ...who makesa the wood kits for the model a

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Car-Line Mfg in Beaumont TX is one wood kit maker. 409-833-9757 is their number.

17. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

18. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

anyone with pics and ideas

19. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

We got our header from Bert's Model A in Denver.

Was a very nice looking piece, to bad I had to cut it narrower to make it fit. That is when I discovered that apparently when they chopped my coupe, I guess they had to narrow the windscreen, header etc about 3/8 of an inch. You can see where they took out a section and rewelded it.

20. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

thanks again guys for your help