Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

One last set from spending a day in Pa, with a great bunch of guys from the midwest!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

• 212.jpg
      212.jpg
      File size:
      603.9 KB
      Views:
    • 214.jpg
      214.jpg
      File size:
      560 KB
      Views:
    • 223.jpg
      223.jpg
      File size:
      522 KB
      Views:
    • 227.jpg
      227.jpg
      File size:
      369.6 KB
      Views:
    • 238.jpg
      238.jpg
      File size:
      589.3 KB
      Views:
    • 247.jpg
      247.jpg
      File size:
      481.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

van "AKA JIMMY" had a post go lost in space today for him,he still is trilled about the "hot laps" he got to turn in the 49 ! one liners from him just seem to come natural,like josh said to call him a friend is pretty cool ! by the way josh, to line up beside him cool ,to watch him jump to the outside & gasser on the green "priceless" ,i'm still kickin' myself for missing this weekend !!

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Really cool to see Roy hanging one out! I agree, it looks like he's in a CRA race.

4. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Speaking of CRA, does anyone have any period photos of Whiteman Stadium??
    Thanks , Greg

5. cars5752

cars5752

Hats off to Gene Ingram and the Winchester Oldtimers group for a great weekend of vintage cars. Basically more track time than we could stand on Saturday on the high banks of Winchester. On Sunday again great track time as we had to deal with a little rain. A great field of vintage cars along with some excellent racing Saturday night with Chase Elliott winning the Super Late Models, (dad Bill was there), and on Sunday an excellent show with the Must See Extreme Sprint Car series and a new track record by Jason Blonde. A nice get together Saturday evening at the Randolph grill. Super event, thanks to all those who made it possible.

6. okbob

okbob
    from Hanover pa

THANKS ROY CARUTHERS....THANKS JOSH SHAW...THANKS KEN KEILHOLZ ..... I had the most fun driving that beautiful pearl white candyapple red and blue ELLISON SPECIAL that Iv'e had since I ran hot laps in my first sprint car..I believe they were very leniant with our laps at Latimore. When I finally got that car to roll through compression and lite off it was perfect. That is undoutably the best looking sprint car that I have ever had the pleasure of driving. The exhaust out the rear reminded me of Manzanita. Meeting Josh, Roy and Ken.was something I will remember the rest of my life. Van May............(aka Jimmy Wilson)

7. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Sounds like everyone's happy -and that's something in these trying times.

And thanks for organizing a really great show at Winchester Harley Gene, Dale and the rest of you.

I was chatting with Billy Shuman the other day, he said his very first sprint car ride came at Winchester-he said he was in awe but never let on-even more in awe because he was driving for the first time a sprint car set up for a post surgery Gary B. and there was no practice laps, just hot laps and the first time in turn two he discovered that the car had cruise control (set up for Gary) and that when he lifted off the pedal the car didn't slow.

8. gibby761

gibby761

great pictures of a truly great driver and an even better Human being!!

9. Buildy

Buildy

My friend Van before the ride in the #49.

[​IMG]

10. Just caught up on my reading,and I just had to smile at the comments on Colin Chapman's 'Great lumps of junk'.....talk about junk....he systematically built race cars that failed,and killed drivers......he was even up on a man slaughter charge in Italy after a driver was killed....but then it is the home of Ferrari....privateer drivers even prosecuted him when their cars failed..(I believe these were all settled out of court)...but I am one of the 'converted'......

Cant believe they cancelled the Darlington Historic races.....I am over on vacation over the planned weekend and was looking forward to the meet...ah well thats life.....great photos ..........

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  11. easter

easter

At retirement homes all over the country, kids are taking kittens and puppies to play with the retired people. They say it's great therapy for everyone. At a lot of sporting events, they are honoring the heros of old by recognizing them during a break in the action by having them stand up and wave. Here on the Mississippi coast they are taking veterans from the VA home on "Honor Flights" to D.C. to see the WWII memorial. However, there's a young man from Cincy who has a better idea. Not only does he restore beautiful cars that bring back memories, and not only does he take them to events and drive them in a period uniform that stirs up even more memories, Josh puts the living memory into the car and says: "Here, go have fun." These cars are now true time machines. The drivers of yesterday are not having "memories", they are transported back to a previous life. I can only imagine how their senses have awakened. Without conscious thought, actions and reactions took control of their bodies. A thought might even have passed: "Lets line up 8 or 10 for the fast heat and drop the green!" Everyone of us has been transported back in time because of Josh and his efforts. Even sitting here in no where Mississippi, I feel like I was there watching the miracle. The Field of Dreams said: "The Thrill of the Grass." I think this was: "The Thrill of the Gas."

12. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Bob, you found all the words I was searching for... exceptionally well said!
    Blessings everyone,
    PK

13. Buildy

Buildy

Just did another shot,

Josh took a ride in the #23 while Van was in the #49.

[​IMG]

14. jrmuch

jrmuch
    from indiana

I was a friend of Billy & Betty Earl for many years. Billy could tell some tall tails but he was always a friend and would go out of his way to help you if you needed ANYTHING. He loved racing as much as anybody, maybe his resources could not match his life long love of this sport but it was his love for his entire life. I never got to see him race but that never really mattered. He was just one of an old crowd of racers who truly loved the racing!

15. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

EMMR / WGOT Convention track time at Lincoln Speedway Abbottstown, PA 8-20-2011. Great to see all the guys Joe, Josh, and Rich. Now it's time to blow up the thread with pictures. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. daveww1

daveww1

17. daveww1

daveww1

18. daveww1

daveww1

19. daveww1

daveww1

20. daveww1

daveww1

21. daveww1

daveww1

22. daveww1

daveww1

23. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

24. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Lee, Great shots! Nice work.

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

WOW!!!!! Lee, that last one has by FAR the best "Aged" look I've ever seen.

Excellent work!

Love the shot of me and Roy Duelling.. :D

Thanks!

26. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

27. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

28. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

29. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Okay, I know the thread is getting FLOODED with pics from Latimore.. but here are a couople more from Rick Mandelson. Great shots Rick! Thanks!

In these shots I'm in the #23 Hart/Jones sprinter and Van May is in the #49 Ellison Spl. I got to watch Van do his thing in a race car from where A LOT of other racers have watched... Running BEHIND him!

Now... HOW ABOUT SOME PICS FROM WINCHESTER!! :p

JD

Attached Files:

• jd1.jpg
      jd1.jpg
      File size:
      121.5 KB
      Views:
    • jd2.jpg
      jd2.jpg
      File size:
      107.4 KB
      Views:
    • jd3.jpg
      jd3.jpg
      File size:
      117.8 KB
      Views:
    • jd4.jpg
      jd4.jpg
      File size:
      117.2 KB
      Views:
    • jd5.jpg
      jd5.jpg
      File size:
      110.4 KB
      Views:
  30. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Here's some Latimore action from Sunday!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011