Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 cadillac deville bendix or moraine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockinokie, Oct 18, 2010.

1. rockinokie

rockinokie

This weekend I'm planning to do the brakes on my 59 Cadillac Deville. I won a kit on ebay last night for the wheel cylinders and rubber lines and also all new springs.

I am away from home and I am wanting to order the master cylinder so I will have it by this weekend as well.

So, here is my question. Were both Bendix and Moraine styles used on the 1959 Cadillac? Is there a differance in the wheel cylinders (I know there is from front to back but like Moraine and Bendix). ...because it wasn't specified in the auction.

I tried to order the master cylinder from Rockauto this morning and they asked if it was Bendix or Moraine. ...and like I said, I am away from home so I can't just go look.

Any advice given is much appreciated.

2. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Wheel cylinders are the same. You'll have to look at the power booster to tell if it's a Bendix or Moraine. The manufacturer name is stamped on top.

3. rockinokie

rockinokie

Damn. Was hoping it was one or the other for 59. I'll have to wait 'til this evening. Hopefully I can still get what I need ordered and delivered before the weekend.

Thanks!

4. rockinokie

rockinokie

So I was able to look at it early this morning. Didn't see a Bendix or Moraine stamp or part number anywhere on it. Is there a way I can tell by the looks of the exterior shell?

5. On my 62, the Bendix had 4 mounting studs on the booster and the Moraine had two.......not sure that applies to 59/60 though :eek:
    I'd suggest what was done to my 60---convert to a dual master ;) My car has a mid-70s Chevy truck master, two bolt, fits perfect. Brake line tee'd to the front. Reducers at the line ports. Cost something like 30 bucks

6. ryno

ryno

i believe a moraine booster will be gold/zinc colored, a Bendix will be black. i may be mixed up though.

wheel cylinders should not matter what booster you have though.

7. rockinokie

rockinokie

Thanks for the suggestion, pal. I'm keeping it completely stock for the time being. I see many changes in the near future though! I know it will cost me more in the long run (and less safe) but before I make changes, I want to experience the car completely stock. I know, I'm effin' weird.

There are four mounting studs on mine. Maybe its a Bendix. I guess I can ask a parts source that has them on hand if there is two for a Moraine and four for the Bendix on a 59.

Thanks

8. rockinokie

rockinokie

Thanks fellas. Think I figured out how to tell the differance in the external appearance of a Bendix from a Moraine for 59. The Bendix booster has an octagon shaped back plate (like a stop sign) and the Moraine doesn't have this.

I know there are typically other ways to identify them but in my case there was no visable stamp and verifying by the color of the casting was definately not an option.

I don't know why I felt the need to post this but maybe someone searching the forum in future needing the same info will stumble across this.

9. twofisted

twofisted

I have a 60 and i went and ordered a new master cylinder went to remove the old one and the cylinder came right off and the piston was still attached? Made a big mess all the fluid that was left in the cylinder dumped out all over...After further investigation of the brake booster(disassembly) the piston that goes inside the cylinder is part of the booster!What a messed up design!Now I might as well convert it over to a dual reservour setup.

10. rockinokie

rockinokie

Yup. My 59 was the same way... I will soon be installing a dual resivoir as well. I just had this stupid thing in my head that anything I did on initially getting her street worthy would be %100 stock. Then I could make my modifications and REALLY appreciate them. ...dumb

Sad to say, as old is this thread is, I'm just now getting her going. I just finished the brakes over the weekend and come to find out I need a new fuel pump which I will be picking up today.

I might actually get to drive her around the block tonite! Wish me luck!!!

11. twofisted

twofisted

Did ya get it o the road???
    I ended up putting a 67-68 dual cylinder and brake booster on,it fit right in like it belonged there!Had a major pain in the ass reflaring the lines after i cut em.Had to do it a coupla times till i got it to stop leaking....I should have just took all the lines off the car and re bent and flared new ones!

12. 5Belair7

5Belair7

Hi guys....
    I appreciate your posts on this topic. I just purchased a 59 Caddy 2dr Cp that has been stored in a garage for over 25 years. My plans are for total brake overhaul including dual m/c retro. By any chance do you have the part numbers from that conversion you said fit just right?

I will do some digging but I think I have a catalog to get pre-bent brake lines for any GM car. When I find it Ill post up the info.

I'm planning on dragging the ole gal out into the sunshine and bringin er home early next week. Looking forward to diggin in and getting the basics started....brakes, fuel pump carb rebuild etc. FYI I have had good results in getting old parts for my 57 Chevy from NAPA Auto Parts. They can order and have them in within a day or two. Check it out if you have any in your area.

Glen

Attached Files:

13. twofisted

twofisted

14. Nick

Nick

It appears that your car already has a dual reservoir conversion on it. It probably has the Bendix style on it or some later master cylinder off of a later Cadillac.

-Nick

15. boomosby

boomosby

looks like it as well, do some research on what you got maybe a good stater unit, id like to see what it is they used and hwo they put it on, i am in teh middle of doing the same thing to my 60....

16. 5Belair7

5Belair7

Bringing it home probably Monday or Tuesday. Wanted to wait out hurricane Irene before I picked it up out of the sellers garage. Will let you know on the master cylinder setup....and will snap a few pics for you.
    Thanks for the link as well.
    Glen