Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saving a 57 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Aug 23, 2011.

1. scotts52

scotts52

Ok, so I have located a 57 2 dr hardtop belair that was pushed over a very steep embankment (dang near a cliff) sometime in the past. It rolled a couple times but its not all rusted out or anything. I think I can save it. I have 2 questions,
    1. How much does this car weigh approx. minus the engine, tranny, hood, and seats.
    2. I would like ideas as to how best to pull it up the hill.

As far as question 2 goes, this hill is almost too steep to walk up. Also, it is approx 300 +/- over the hill. I'm thinking chain instead of cable, but I'm also wondering if it wouldn't try to pull my full size Ford over the hill. It is located outside of Spokane, Wa, south of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, so if anyone is interested in helping me I'd take the help.

Its in really rough shape and really only something someone without money and too much ambition that really wants one would tackle.
    I didn't have my camera with me that day or I'd post photos.

2. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

I had a 57 i bet the weight close to 3200 as for pullin it up a good heavy wrecker:D

3. F&J

F&J

300 feet on a hill too steep to walk.... I would hire a wrecker with lots of cable.

Trying to do it yourself, where would you get a winch with 300' of cable, or say, a winch with 100' and then a bunch of chain to tie it off, while you run the 100 back down the hill 3 times.

4. done lots of recoveries with wreckers
    you will need help a way to secure it when you change cable
    how steep is the top that may be a problem on a single winch
    may need a truck ( wrecker with a boom)at the transion in the pull over
    with out seeing you are asking a lot

5. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

I think thats my car. Ive been waiting on somebody to drag it up that hill for me to reclaim.

What day you say youre gonna do that?

hahahaha

6. Did you physically go down and look at the car? You'd need to make sure it's not full of or partially covered with sediment or boulders to compound your efforts.

7. Got a buddy in the National Guard with a helicopter license?

8. flatford39

flatford39

I would be thinking about a small 15 ton 20 ton hydro crane. Not a pole truck but a hydro crane. The reason is that a wrecker is going to drag it up and do more damage. a crane if you rig it right will pluck it clean from its spot and hoist it up without dragging the carcass up the ravine.

The four hour rate for one here in the Chicago area is around $700.00.

9. Forgot to mention that a Sky Hook will be needed and is much cheeper than a crain

10. Around 3600, 3800 lbs - 600 for the motor and 200 for the trans, 100 for the seat.. talking a ton and a half assuming there's no dirt or rocks inside it.

I've seen decent rollers sell in the $1500 range in the past and they literally reproduce everything for these - you can buy a repro 2dr ht or convertible shell for $18,000 - worth bearing in mind before you spend money on this one... especially since I've no doubt there's no title and don't know how hard it is to get one in your state.

11. bryan6902

bryan6902

I say harvest the usable pieces and let it be, as in leave it there. You say you have more ambition than money? I say wait and save your $$$ and get something that hasn't spent the last few decades at the bottom of a ravine. I bet if you save your money you'll have a running, driveable, presentable ride far sooner than if you pull this one out and start repairing it. Just my 2 cents....

12. bryan6902

bryan6902

There's also probably a very good reason why its down there to start and why no one has bothered to drag it out yet.

13. Maybe it's an old stolen.... it may actually be easier to go down, take it apart, you could use some pulleys and rope and maybe a sled or drag of some sort to get the doors, trunk, fenders etc. up, then use a battery powered sawzall and cut the rest into managable pieces, say the roof, the quarters, the cowl, could even cut the frame in two. It's just metal, it can be welded back together.

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I think you need to start with something other than what you're looking at. Even at best, you won't have paper on the car, and who knows, it could have originally been stolen. If you really want a tri-five (does it HAVE to be a 57?), I know someone who deals in 55-57 Chevrolet cars AND parts here in Washington, I'll bet he can find you a better deal, and legal too. If you're serious P.M. me, and I'll give you his contact info. Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Sometimes it's the challenge. I've retrieved several cars from ravines. My avatar is a 40 Ford Woody I pulled out of a ravine. Once saved a 56 Ford convertible that was upside down & down a cliff about three hundred feet. A good wrecker operator can tell you whether you need a crane or not. The 56 convert had perfect floors. Cost me $50 to get it out, sold the same day for $650. This was back in the 80's. I'm getting ready to retrieve a 40 Ford 2dr sedan and a 50 Ford Convertible from a ravine soon. These are close enough we can get them with my buddy's excavator. Rough parts cars, but for me it's the challenge.

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Someone will say it every time "just go buy one better"???
    Why? Let the guy save this,for whatever reason,I say go for it!

Even if he did buy another one, this one would still be there rotting.
    Lets promote saving them instead of leaving them to rot:confused:

It would haunt me till I got it out:D

17. GREASER815

GREASER815

I say leave it there. It is not the last remaining 57 Chevy in the world. If It rolled 300 feet down a cliff I am sure it has some issues you have not seen. Probably not worth dealing with in the long run.

18. Besides he is cleaning up the landscape! You all know we got to help out those sierra clubbers and tree huggers!

19. Riva B.

Riva B.

20. badshifter

badshifter

That's as hotrod as it gets. I'd do it just for the pictures/story/adventure of it all!
    You MUST take pics and video.
    Do it. Get your local 4 wheeler club involved, they LOVE to do stuff like this.
    Did I mention pictures and video? The talking parts over!

21. Toner283

Toner283

Go get it! and take LOTS of pictures.

I agree with some of the points that rustynewyorker made. disassemble a bunch of it if you can, every pound lighter you can make it will make it easier for you to get it back up the hill. However, I don't think I would cut the body shell up unless you have to.

22. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Anybody with money can go buy one, and take the easy way out. You know I'll be posting pictures when the 40 Ford 2dr comes out. I think of it as Carcheology. Besides, think of the before and after pictures.

23. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

if you dissamble it you can pull it up with a good block and tackle,use a stone boat,nose, doors,and trunk first.shell second,frame last. each load about 500lb.if you don't know riggin HIRE a wrecker Bonners Ferry has a couple 'long cable' trucks . a fireman/rescue guy would be an asset....work SAFE...but get that piece if YOU want it. too many shoulda's and coulda's.you nay-sayers go don't understand.a pos is better than nothing if ya got nothin'.
    you could skin this car and come vintage race in Maine

Attached Files:

• z16.jpg
      z16.jpg
      File size:
      157.7 KB
      Views:
  24. I'd think about coming down from Calgary just to be part of dragging a '57 Chevy up a 300' cliff!

Come on, WHO has a story like that to tell their grandkids.

25. Deuces

Deuces

Maybe it's a fuelie???

26. I like how you think! :D

27. scotts52

scotts52

Alright, I found some pics the guy sent me last year. They look worse in the pictures than in reality. It is fairly solid, very little rust, floors are still there and solid. Mostly body work. One quarter panel will almost definitely have to be replaced, or else alot of bodywork. The front clip I can grab off of another. A buddy has a hood and some front fenders if I need them. I figure I can pull the door skins, straighten and square the door body and install new skins. The roof I believe can be straightened of a new skin put on. Has a frame, front and rear suspension. Its not stolen, its part of an old garbage dump site. I know its easier to buy one, but I can't save my money, too many projects cry out to be saved. I can however, buy parts to save on I already have. I have a special need to build a 57 as that was something my dad and I talked about for many years before he died in 2000. He had one back in the early 60's and I still have the stuffed animal that used to sit in the back window of his. (I guess it used to be the thing to have). Anyway, I am a sucker for saving projects. Only 38 but I have probably enough till I die. Why not add another one. Sweat equity is how I've made it this far in life. Anyone can buy one but somebody's gotta build them. Might as well be me. Anyway, its something I enjoy doing even if I break even.

Attached Files:

• 57 1.jpg
      57 1.jpg
      File size:
      184.9 KB
      Views:
    • 57 2.jpg
      57 2.jpg
      File size:
      146.7 KB
      Views:
    • 57 3.jpg
      57 3.jpg
      File size:
      192.2 KB
      Views:
  28. rld14

rld14

That car is, quoting Samuel L Jackson "Real Fucked up". But if you bring it back to life you're my hero.

I hate seeing stuff survive for 50+ years and then get scrapped. And if there's one 50s car on the planet that you can bring back from the dead it's a 57 Bel Air. As long as it's not stolen and it doesn't belong to someone, I say f it, go for it.

29. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I'm betting the Vin tag on driver A pillar is long gone.

30. Deuces

Deuces

Just leave it! It ain't worth it....