Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The "Purple People Eater" times on the strip @ MOKAN?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sodbuster, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Big Nick

Big Nick

That car is great, I love it. The Garage Magazine article with it was good stuff too.

2. gonzo

gonzo

Damn cool car, going damn fast. You'd have to have some kind of balls to go into the 12s in this animal.

[​IMG]

3. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Any way you look at it, I bet that is one hell of an exciting ride - sitting in that nasty little f'r, looking around the motor and holding on for a 12.

4. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "hating" in the least little bit. I love the car and I agree with you 100%.

I guess you answered the question too...the point is not how fast the car can go, or how fast it could go...it's that it's totally wicked. But to respond to guys that think it should or could get faster times...it probably could....you'd just be crazy to push it.

Not that crazy isn't fun to watch though....what was any crazier than the early altered racers crossing the 1/4 in under 10 on a fun run with both front wheels still in the air?:)

5. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Great looking ride. I'm sure in the 12's is fast enough.

6. I don't get it.....What's not to like?

7. I'm not sure anyone actually did say they didn't like it. There was a question about the 12 second pass number sounding a little low judging from the looks of the car. There was a late model guy that wanted to compair his times to the PPEs ETs and then it pretty much became a love fest.

McPhail made mention of the car stirring controversy but among those that I know there has never been any contorversy at all. Of course most of us just are not very refined. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  8. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

I talked to Marky yesterday and he said he had a blast at the HAMB drags! He said the car ran ok but has the potential to run a lot faster. He was talking about doing some things to the engine and trying to run it on Alcohol or possibly Nitro in the future! So it sounds like he's serious about making this car go really fast and I don't think he'll be happy until it runs at least in the 9's!!! He's a nut!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  9. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

I beg to differ, drag racing is all about hooking up, Marky has said he wants to drag race the PPE and even go fast, 10 years ago the goal was in the 10's. You don't get in the 10's without hooking up

Like I said before it hasn't happened yet, it still remains a cool car, just not a cool race car. Could it ever be a cool race car, I think so, will it? I don't know, as long as he's having fun, who cares

10. Hahaha...NITRO! Stay tuned to this channel!:D

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

tech doesnt get ugly till 11.50. Trust me, I have been kicked out more times than you can shake a stick at...

12. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

if it hasnt been said yet,,thank you for bringing it..its a long haul for one day of racing..

13. snaptwo

snaptwo

That reminds me of "The 'Lil 'Ol Lady" AAFA that raced at Famoso a bunch of seasons ago. Bantam bodied,392 on fuel,with a homemade fuel injector that was as big as a chunk of stove pipe. It wasn't how fast it ran ,it was a matter how long it ran , several passes it started go lean and really make some HP. Harold Hungerford and company rebuilt the car and really did a great job on it but truth be known ,I liked the older version better !! My 2 cents.

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

Not in the time warp I live in.

[​IMG] By weslake at 2007-07-05[/IMG]

15. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Some of the negative comments on this car make me believe that sometimes parents should eat there young.
    I guess if you don't learn respect you will never give it?

Marky's PPE is the reason I got out of door slammers and into HOT RODS

Bravo to the SHIFTERS!

HOTRODRUBBER
    HURST RACING TIRES

16. angry

angry
    from ventura ca

what did kevins willys run

17. Algon

Algon

Being cramped up in that casket peeking around the engine is as much of a factor as anything. What is the wheelbase anyway?

18. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Dunno who said it first but....

It's not how fast you go but...HOW you go fast.

This gets my vote. And Zorbas ghost.

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I like the cut of your jib.....:)

20. I'm a BIG fan of the PPE. Smoking the tires or hooking up, it's a killer looking car parked in the pits or running on the track. From what Sledge said, this is only the beginning for Marky and PPE.

21. monsterflake

monsterflake

i don't mean the quality of the car, i'm referring to the polarization of opinions about 'em. "the model a that starts fights" was all kinds of fucked up.

what's not to love about the PPE? it's got a blown pontiac in it! stupid hemi show-off, t-bag. next year marky, you'll show 'em who's boss!

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have never seen the car in the question in person, so I cant comment on the build quality. Most of the rational comments on this thread center on the big performance handicap being the lack of traction. Real simple to clear that up. What was the MPH on the mid 12 second pass? If we have a MPH #, its pretty easy to get a ball park HP number. I am guessing if this thing is really loose through low gear, maybe 120 MPH?

23. Angry....My car never made a full pass, it launched OK but engine was farting and missing etc down the track.

PPE has not been run very many times and is still in the sorting stage. I sat in it today and steered as we unloaded it off the trailer. I am telling you Marky has huge balls to stand on the go pedal of that beast for a quarter mile. He has my respect!

24. rottenrods

rottenrods

I smile everytime I see the ppe! I can't help it

25. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

I think the ppe is awsome, it looks fast just sitting their,Who cares how fast it is.At least he takes the time to bring it so far from his home, so all can enjoy go Marky!

26. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

ALL hail the PPE

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hmmm. It appears no MPH numbers are forthcoming...

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't remember the mph it turned... He feathers it off the line. He doesn't leave that hard at all. No violence. It seems like he gets on it at around the 60' mark... and it still runs mid 12s.

The build quality of the car is fine. It's not super detailed - it's a race car. But if it passes tech at any track in California, it has my confidence.

At the end of the day, Marky built a race car and is actively racing it. That's what it is all about gentlemen.

29. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Wow! I didn't expect this post to go this direction......I was just wondering if RYAN forked over the 'crisp $20.00 bill'

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430&highlight=purple&showall=1

.........I think the car is bad ass & I REALLY wish that I could have seen it run down the track......but, lack of sleep & becoming "one of those responsible parents".......we had to feed our 2 year old son Henry (Henry has been going to the HAMB Drags since he was 2 weeks old).......So, I figured that I would see if any of you guys had some video or times of the PPE car.

Thanks,
    Chris Nelson
    Kansas

30. That says it all!:)