Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Divorce strikes, the custody dispute of 41' Willy's settled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KorbynUSN, Aug 23, 2011.

1. [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]So a LONG time family friend is recently divorced and needed to get rid of his 1941 Willy's truck (some of you know how that is). I knew they aren't common, but I asked for the sticker price. He shoots off with 15. I said, "15 thousand is a little out of my price range", he corrected me by saying "No, 15 hundred..." I couldn't get in my car fast enough to go grab the cash for it. He even said I could leave it in storage at his place as long as I needed to. AND he is giving me a 40' as a parts truck (it is a parts truck for sure, but future rat rod) My motivation and excitement builds...
    The truck has been in storage for about 40 years. It is straight and has the original GO DEVIL 4 cyl in it. There are no rust holes, straight body, but the bed has a bent spot in it. That is going to be replaced, we already found a source for the bed. BUT I need some help with the engine. I would like to get more than 50 MPH out of it. I know it is 6.5-1 compression currently. I am not sure how much you can safely raise compression before you start damaging internals, head gaskets, ect. Also a port and polish is looking better and better. I know there probably isn't much support for these but I am willing to leave the 4 cyl in there even if the top speed is going to be 50mph at 8,000rpm. I haven't seen any of these with the original motor, that is why I am.
    Is there any info on 4 cyl GO DEVIL's or is there an old timer that knows a lot about these? I know from experience that for every car/truck there is some one who has worked them inside and out and his knowledge is not online some where or in any book.
    Thanks guys. Happy hot rodding.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

3. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i dont care how bad the other truck is dont let it become a ratrod..

4. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Thread needs pix please

5. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ x2

6. X3:rolleyes:

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, a stone stock Willy's sure needs a few photos, lets see both of them.

8. earlytimes

earlytimes

shhhhh!!!! you can't use the word rat rod on here LOL

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

bingo

10. BTB-Derby

BTB-Derby

Pics for sure.

11. duh....overdrive.....Willis used them into the 50's....there was a Jeepster in the salvage yard that had one....

12. The pics are coming. I had to go back over and get pics and just haven't up loaded them yet. I will get them.

Well not really a rat rod. A hot rod with different parts from other vehicles. Not the shat-rod style. It will have paint!

13. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Probably 50+ guys here on the HAMB are going to tell you that there is a special place in Hell for anyone who would turn any Willys into a f'ing r*t rod!!

14. Well its pretty far gone... That's why its a parts truck.

15. cracker head

cracker head

I was under the impression that all of them came with blown big block Chevy's or the optional blown Hemi.....

16. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

That 40 is going to make a great rat.

good haul man.

17. Willy301

Willy301

First I will ask, what is the Go Devil? I have a continetal out of my old Willys truck, also still have the trans, transfer case. I have not heard of anyone hopping one up, but I am sure it could be done. There is a kit put out to connect the SBC right to the trans bell housing in the truck, I personally would rather put anything in it but the SBC, but I had a 283 sitting when I needed it. The truck is gone (thanks zoning jerk) but some parts still grace the shelves...

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

mother fucker! i've been plotting my willys gasser build for a while now-this gives me hope that the good deals are still out there!

19. Heo2

Heo2

I saw pics many years ago of i think a model a
    roadster with a hopped up Willys four
    It was called the singer sewing machine
    if my memory dont play tricks with me
    Was some kind dry lakes car
    and i have seen old ads with alu heads
    for the willys engine...think it was Almquist

20. My brother thinks we should make the parts truck a blown gasser. Maybe he is right!

21. $1500... someone's sticking it to the ex-wife. I like that. Good luck with the build(s) -

22. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

23. Weasel

Weasel

Vic Hickey head, Chuchua or Willy Willy head (currently out of production), 7:1 compression ratio, Burns or Darland 2-1 intake with Carter YFs, T5 trans and you're good to go - all rare as rocking horse shit of course. Other speed equipment for Willys L134 is even rarer such as Alexander OHV conversion, DuVall head. Rumors of Barney Navarro having made an aluminum head - yet to see one. There's a thread I started here a while back - 'Willys Speed equipment'. Use the search function to find it....

Kaiser Supersonic head may make a little more power. I have one somewhere - PM me if interested....

24. MADMachines

MADMachines

That's a pretty good lookin truck! Should make a nice project!

25. Fuck!!!! Score!!!! Congrats!!

26. I don't care what kind of truck it is...I know it's 70 degrees where you are and I hate you!!!

27. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Nice looking project...stay focused on your build

28. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

you grabbed it right? od for the spicer 18 is a 4-700$ item

29. You are correct sir....EVERY pre-war Willys came from the factory with a blown big block, tubbed wheel wells and a roll cage. I don't where that four cylinder came from....maybe it's a starter motor used to crank up the big block

30. MADMachines

MADMachines

It was actually 90+ here with around 80% humidity today. Not so great...

If you believe the weatherman, tomorrow's not looking too bad tho!