Register now to get rid of these ads!

tired old timer

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by hitz, Aug 23, 2011.

1. hitz

hitz
    from norcal

76 year old guy here. As a 15 year old with a paper route I channeled my '29 model 2 door. That was my first car. Followed by a '40 std coupe,'40 deluxe coupe, '38 std 2 dr,'40 std. 2dr, '49 2 dr merc.. most mildly hot roded. Got married, fixed up a '50 chev two door hard top for my bride. raced dirt dirt bikes in so cal. Bought a '55 1500 Super Porsche.??? Built up a '56 350cc AJS for Bonneville in '58. Never did run it. Restored a '46 Luscombe in ~ '71. Bought a '68 912 Porsche and hot rodded it for my bride (same wife) boy did did that keep me busy for for a couple of years. Raced dirt bikes again with 2 of my boys in the early '70s.

My dad passed away in '91 and I took his old trashed '53 chevy PU home per my mothers insistance. It was badly rusted and and really rough. I decided to try to get some paint on it. It took 11 years and more money that I can talk about. It ended out being 6" shorter with a narrowed rear frame.,jag rear end, 4 wheel disk brakes, all home built independant front suspension using Nova spindles, Thunderbird rack str., 400 SBC with AFR heads. It's a ball to drive and has air so the longer trips are in comfort.

After a couple of years getting caught up around the house I decided I would like to build a complete car from scratch. It took about 4 years to design and build it. I took my first ride in it Aug '09 at the Booneville salt flats. It's a lakester class, #72 and runs in G/GL class and thats another full story.
    And thats the long winded truth.
    hitz:p

2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Welcome Sir. Glad to have ya here

3. fitty_2

fitty_2

Sounds like an excellent plan

welcome

4. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Welcome from Ga

Grommet

5. edsel

edsel

Awesome, sounds like you well be right at home here. Welcome to the board.

edsel

6. Good stuff. Glad to have your wisdom.

7. 51baldeagle

51baldeagle

Hey O.T. welcome, your just practicing to get old a have a buddy that is 84 years young can wait to sell his car, he has a 34 ford really nice that he is going to sell so he can finish a 37 ford 4 dr, so he and his wife can take their grand-kids out for a spin, you sound a Active 20 year old.

8. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

And, WELCOME from SW Nebraska. Excellent intro.

9. fbama73

fbama73

Welcome! Glad to have you here!

10. Welcome from Michigan.