Register now to get rid of these ads!

Something you might want to check out at the 2011 HAMB Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 193257, Aug 12, 2011.

1. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

This ride has been around for quite sometime. I remember it getting magazine press at least 5 years ago maybe even longer. It takes a pretty clever guy to get an all steel boat in the 9's even with a V8 much less a straight 6.

Traditional or not it's a Cool car!

2. edweird

edweird

why is it not traditional? the malicoat bros.ran turbos in the 60's, right ?

3. Real Stuff

Real Stuff

The last thing I want to start is any arguments.

We built this car 25 years ago, and the nostalgia craze was not what it is today or I wound have built it a little different. The only big thing that's not old school are the rear tires tucked under the fenders.

The last two years my son has brought his 34 ford ( black primer with gold Halibrand wheels ) and this year I wanted to have some fun if possible !

Harry

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ohhh... And fun you will have.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Nice car Harry, All my life I have figured I'd run across a 37 or 8 chev coupe. Never did had to settle for an old 55 chev. LOL. Oh, BTW, watch out for the intro police. :D;) Lippy

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Sure looks like a fun ride. I'd drive it anywhere if I had one like it!

7. basicbob

basicbob

Ryan, I want to thank you for your reply about letting Harry's car run. Too often in todays world many want to be politically correct & not to say what they really think.

It is your race & we should all thank you for that.

Thanks for holding the race, Bob

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I missed it run, I was busy working the auction table when I saw it in the lanes. What did it run?

9. brandon

brandon

halibrands look so much better on that car.... isn't he related to the guy with the 996 ( or whatever the number is) 32 roadster with the turbo sbc...?

10. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

I missed it run, I was busy working the auction table when I saw it in the lanes. What did it run?

i think his best time at the hamb drags was 10:11 sec.

11. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Yes the 996 special is Harry's brother Jack's car as well and I belive harry had a hand in that, two class act fellas too

12. brandon

brandon

i thought that was the deal.....talked to jack at the shades back in 01 or 02.....think at the time it went 200+ and 9.70's or something and made 996hp with the turbo 388 or something ..... definently a cool ass ride with tons of power to back it up.....:D

13. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

it'll outrun ya @ B'ville, Smoke ya @ the Drags, and leave the show with your trophy and maybe your girl all the while being driven to and from.. that is what its all about folks...and why I dig that car

14. brandon

brandon

and it was a dupont ad car as well...... neat ride.

15. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

The car is bat shit crazy! It gets your attention for sure. I saw that 10.1x run and it's really easy to imagine low 9's with the right conditions. Some loudmouth next to me was blabbing about it being different, I wanted to ask him if he also didn't like hot women :eek:

16. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Top shelf design and craftsmanship. Had seen the car before but had no idea it could do that!!

Don't think it's possible to watch without your mouth hanging open in amazement.... at least I couldn't.

17. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

Is'nt it odd the guys who were negative forgot to mention what they were bringing to the party. Its a great looking old car done to the highest standards,has an old engine with homebuilt and engineered parts refined over a long time of trial and sometimes failure,how can this not be a perfect fit in this event? A long time fan.

Aluminum1929 likes this.
  18. It sounds like a Jet taking off!

BAD ASS!

19. 193257

Well You guys are almost right. The 32 roadster which is the 996 special was Jack's car to start off with but during the build he sold it to George Lange. George was good enough to tell Jack and Harry to finish the car as if it was yours and build it as if it was still theirs and run it at Bonneville. You are correct because the reason it was called the 996 Special was it made 996 horsepower on the dyno. They went to bonneville that year and blew their record away and the car was in primer. They came home and blew the car apart, painted it and finished the car in a few short months and hauled it back out to Ca. for the roadster show in January of the next year. They were very succesfull in what they set out to do and your right they are a class act.

Aluminum1929 likes this.
  20. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I agree , its your deal , nuff said...............and well said. My car doesnt fit in but i didnt build it to either... and that is one damn fine coupe in my opinion you did well to let it in as everyone would enjoy watching it and looking at the build on it.

21. 193257

Ya your right. I was out about the 60 ft mark and you could really hear the turbo spool up. Some times its hard to tell whats going on if your next to an open header car because the chevy is so quiet.

22. brandon

brandon

ok....thats who i talked to ....i kept remembering lange being in the equation , but wasn't sure where...:D

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I hate to say it, but I told ya'll so... :)

24. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

anyone have a video

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The Chevy was my favorite car there this year. It was just plain bad ass. I really enjoyed listening to Harry discuss the car with everyone gathered around in the hotel parking lot at night.

26. Bull

Bull

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e2fQp-ZSHxc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GVmkoYQP0FM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

27. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

It was awesome to see this car run. From the stands, it looks like grandpa's street rod, but gets your attention in a hurry when that turbo spools up. Sounds like a pissed off hair-dryer and runs damn impressive times.

I guess that's what a sleeper does. This was one of my favorite cars at the drags this year.