Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kidney Bean Wheel ID/Opinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitty_2, Aug 22, 2011.

1. fitty_2

fitty_2

Hello Hamb,

Here are some interesting Halibrand style wheels I've come across. Does anyone have more info on their vintage? They are 15" x 7" and marked international on the backside. I have only this picture. They are uni-lug style, and have apparently a plate on the rear that fits into the wheel for the desired bolt pattern.

I am going for a late 50's early 60's drag look, my car is a 52 ford hardtop. I would like to use piecrust slicks not superwide 9" + or - & the wheels to fit within the original sheetmetal without cutting the wheel opening although I could mini tub the inside some. Opinions, suggestions? Or would these make more sense as front runners only?

Finally, is the uni-lug style a liability from a safety/strength standpoint?

thanks!

fitty_2

Attached Files:

• int.jpg
      int.jpg
      File size:
      44.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. rick finch

rick finch

Those aren't kidney beans....just a 5 window Halibrand/E.T. look alikes, there are tons of them out there.

3. Deuces

Deuces

....... ;)

Attached Files:

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

You got any pictures of this plate you are talking about and the backside of the wheel. Might just be the picture but the unilug slots in the wheel look screwed up.

5. Deuces

Deuces

That's why I never trusted them...
    I had a Cragar uni-lug wheel fall off a car once while doing 25-30 mph.. :mad:

6. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

They're not as common as the standard slot mag though. I've seen SOME, but not many. I had a pair on the front of my old Galaxie at one point. HEAVY, aluminum. Never knew or found out who manufactured them. They were designed, I'm sure, with the casual car enthusiast in mind, hence the 15x7 size. Never seen them in any "interesting" sizes.... FWIW I've never-ever had a problem with any uni-lug style wheels but hey, maybe I was just lucky.

7. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i use them on the rear for slicks,,just picked up a pair of skinnys for the front...

8. 296ardun

296ardun

There was a company that called itself "Vintage Hal" that made Halibrand knock-offs out of aluminum, this might be what you have...uni-lug, not something I would try except on the front of a race car

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey! I remember those wheels... The biggest trick to making unilug wheels work well is to make sure the diameter of the lug nut shank fits the wheel slot snuggly. I buy lug nuts until I find what I am comfortable with. The other trick is to buy good quality lug nut washers the don't colapse or "squish out" like the cheap Asian products do.

10. fitty_2

fitty_2

Hey,

Thanks for the responses!

I was going to post this in an existing mag wheel thread but thought maybe it would get lost, really I did look first to find this mag before I opened my m

anyway in order-

rick, no not tons at all c'mon

deuces, I do already know what real halibrands look like

jeem, best response. Yes they are good quality, yes they are 'too narrow' to normally pay attention to, but if you are going for an early look~ late 50's early slicks weren't that wide to start with

bulletproof, you got it

louvers, lots of good threads on here for re-drilling that I have been looking into

It's really not an uncommon situation on here to have the perfect mags in the wrong bolt pattern that you need to or have to make work within your budget

and finally,

hal trollers must re-unite against snobbery!

n

11. Nope, these are different - Fish Enterprises made the Vintage Hals and they looked virtually exactly like the real deal. These Internationals have their own look - the marriage (and vast improvement) of a cheap slot mag and the cool lips of an old Halibrand. I REALLY like these wheels - owned a few pairs over the years and, like Jeem said, very pedestrian sizes only. I had 15x7 and 15x8 1/2 and wish I still did!

Steve

12. fitty_2

fitty_2

Hey hemisteve- good input

I like your take on design marriage & the term 'pedestrian'

cheers

n

13. fitty_2

fitty_2

hemisteve,

I get what your saying and wanted to add that the so called 'cheap slot mags' (alum alloy) Ansen genre were/are great engineering solutions performance wise, and aesthetically there, but with late 60's-70's machining tech you couldn't easily get a raised lip around the slot opening, as it's not a casting/forging~

without

cnc

a lip is not so easy

n

but no lip no cry

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  14. brad chevy

brad chevy

Since you are so good at answering to replies,what about the picture of this plate on the rear of the wheels you mentioned or is it just an lug adapter plate ?Unilug wheels have been around a long time. Some dislike them some don"t. But running unilug with lug pattern adapter plates is not a good idea.

15. fitty 2,
    I have a set just like yours but they are in a 14 inch by 7 inch. Sure would like to find a set of 15 x 8 for the back of next old school build up.