Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grandfather gave me my Great Grandfather's 41 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Transslam, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Transslam

Transslam

My new project is a 1941 Buick 2-Door That was my great grandfathers givin to him from his best friend and then past down to my grandfather who has just gave it to me. The car has been in my grandfathers body shop in the corner covered up since 1982 and the car has been stored since 1957. According to the paper work it is overdue for a oil change by 60 miles and should have been done by December of 57. The car has zero rust and everything is there including a bunch of neat paper work that was in the glove box. I dont know much about these cars and hope to find some help if i need it on here. I'll post as the progress goes on....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Update: Started Cleaning the car up. Cleaned all glass(had overspray on them, they shinded up like new). Then I wanted to see if the chrome would polish up and much to my surprise it is all shining up like brand new or very nice with some pitting on some parts. Figured i would get it all cleaned up nice before i got it running then i would work harder on making run. So far I do know I need a shift lever and a fuel tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still have a lot of cleaning up to do but its a lot of fun freshing this baby back up to see the road again.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
    fiftiescat and old1946truck like this.
  2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Leave it alone and just drive the thing till the wheels fall off!

3. Cool find there. You gotta love that original paperwork that goes with it. Do what i did and keep it in a locked box.

4. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

Excellent! I love the paperwork too!

5. Wow! What a time capsule. Congrats on the new car

6. Transslam

Transslam

The only thing that is broke is the shifter handle not sure wear im going to find the parts to fix this yet.............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Cool as hell just the way that it is. Clean it up , get it running and drive like you stole it.

8. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

that car needs something....... a license plate. enjoy driving the crap out of it

9. Awesome, Id have to say the front end on these cars are high up on my favorites list.

10. edweird

edweird

and thats pot metal i think. I'm sure with the internet you can find someone with that part. Congradulations and good luck.

11. Transslam

Transslam

yes it is pot metal......

12. Mojo

Mojo

I wouldn't drive it. It would be tragic if some shithead on a cell phone wiped it out at a light. It really is a time capsule, and needs to be preserved as such.

13. BEAR

BEAR

nice car man

14. Transslam

Transslam

And my grandfather told me he drove to the plant to pick it up to avoid additional cost of shipping to the dealer. I'd like to see that happen today.

[​IMG]

15. clean her up , get it road worthy... needs some wide whites( thats my 2 cents worth) That shift lever assy shouldn't be hard to find on the internet. Nice score, don't forget to thank Grandpa.

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

17. seatex

seatex

WOW, what a gift. do your folks proud and drive the wheels off of it!

18. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Slam it and drive it

19. Transslam

Transslam

Thats all i want to do with it dont know what route i want to go as far as lowering it.

20. Transslam

Transslam

What brand do you suggest for wide whites, they are 16"

21. koolkat269

koolkat269

there i fixed it for you :cool:

22. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

There's a '41 Olds 4dr lurking in a barn around here, was the guys' grandmother's car, he and his dad drove it in there when she passed in '66, hasn't moved since. Bet a few hours would have it running ;)

23. Very very cool Transslam!!! Get it on the road and enjoy it even more!

24. I_am_who_I_am

I_am_who_I_am

Just do some general maintenance on it and drive it. That car is like a time machine back to the '40s. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

25. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I am checking on a column/shifter as we speak, give me a day or two......I will let you know. GREAT SCORE!!!! Our roadster has those exact gauges. Enjoy

26. Transslam

Transslam

Thanks...I've been hunting for hours for one all over the internet.:mad:

27. That is just to cool & all that paperwork......ENJOY!!!!!!!!!

28. Orn

Orn

Very very cool.

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If you fellas at the shop have a good detail firm you deal with, let them rub the paint out carefully...apply a good coat of wax; also have them launder the interior.
    The dirt all over everything just tends to grind everything away after a long dusty rest.
    (suddenly, you're sliding in and out, throwing fender covers on, and all...if it was polished out with a fresh coat of wax, it would be protected as well as gorgeous...and the interior would be dust free, and smell like a new one)

30. Don't change a thing!

Treat it like your great grandad is standing behind you every time you touch it.

You've got a real heirloom there.

Don't lower it... go find another one to cut up.

My .02