Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadster interior size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andrewdrexler, Aug 22, 2011.

1. andrewdrexler

andrewdrexler
    from Fresno, CA

This weekend I was at the Turlock Swap meet here in Ca, and managed to sneak a peak inside of a Model A Roadster Truck, and boy is it small. Since I am 6 foot tall and stocky, it was rather disconcerting to see just how small it was. So here is my question, how much room is there in the interior of a Model A Roadster or the 32 Roadster?

2. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

The Model A roadster is pretty small, and the roadster pickup is a little smaller than the roadster. 1932 roadster is still a small car, but much more comfortable than a Model A. I would suggest that before you commit to a particular year and style, you try one on for size at a car show, cruise night, etc. Just ask the owner if you can take a "test sit" in his car and see how it feels. Also, when you do that, see how you and the owner compare in size and ask the owner for comments and tips.

Good luck.

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Model A sedans are an option for the taller fellas, too. Keep your mind open on a roof.

4. mow too much

mow too much

I had a 29 roadster, at that time I was about 235 and 5'11''..............it wasn't that bad. I never finished the interior, it had the orginal seat springs that my wife covered so it could be driven. This is a picture of me and my niece in it.

[​IMG]

5. 2935ford

2935ford

I have a Model A roadster and have had a Model A roadster pickup. I'm 5' 10" and 200lbs. What I found uncomfortable was the very small leg room. Long haul, my left foot/leg were not comfy. Short runs no problem. Doesn't make me wanna get rid of my roadster though! Henry could have been a little more generous with these models! Just another 3" would have done it!

6. erlomd

erlomd

well, here is a picture of adam carolla (6'2") in a socal speedshop 32 roadster...hes pretty tall and fits fine.

its not a video....its a screenshot..lol dont hit the play button..(im sure that just made you want to try it anyhow)...lol

[​IMG]

7. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

If you really need room get a 36 it does a good job hauling my big ars around............... 11-20=2010 030.jpg

8. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

My model A roadster has as much room as my '34 ford coupe did. The reason? Combined a '31 roadster doors and cowl with "31 sport coupe rear clip. I am 6'1" tall and have to move the seat forward.

Attached Files:

9. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

You sit IN a 32 and ON a model A.

When deciding between the two remember the only financial difference is the cost of the body. Stuff like wheels and engines cost the same if they are going in a A, a deuce, or a rambler.

The biggest problem is that a 29 roadster on 32 rails is about the bitchinist hot rod that could be built.....

Sergeant82d likes this.
  10. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

If you're really interested in a Model A roadster pickup, Brookville Roadster makes a '30/'31 available in both stock and 6" extended cab for the guys who shop at the big man's store...

11. Find a 28-32 Mopar roadster....you might have to replace the interior wood framework with square tube steel...but you will have a lot more leg room.

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1932 Ford Henry Ford Roadster. :D

I am 6 foot 2 inches tall and was over three hundred pounds when the top photo was taken. In the second photo ...
    down to 215 pounds but still 6 foot 2 inches tall :)

I have owned the 32 roadster for over 30 years.
    Drove it 500 miles in a day ... many times over the years.

Really comfortable ... for me :eek:

13. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Im 6'2 - 240 lbs and fit in my 32' Roadster very comfortably .

[​IMG]

14. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I am extending the doors and the body of my '28 RPU so I can fit.
    I only had to sit in it once stock and I knew it wouldn't work.

15. bondolero

bondolero

I thought the brookville rpu's were only stretched 4", but could be wrong.
    Is that enough for a 6 footer ? Sure would love to build one.

Larry

16. bct

bct

a coupster has more room and is budget friendly

17. Brandi

Brandi

I've got a buddy that's owned a '29 for 20 plus years and has probably put 200,000 miles on the thing. He's 6'4". The secret is being down and back.

I'm going to start manufacturing custom seat risers based on his and mine (I'm 5'10" drove from Seattle to Bonneville last week, no scrunching up whatsoever.) Shoot me a PM if'n you're interested.

18. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Down and back is the secret in a 29. The cushion doesn't have to be all ahead of the body. And encroaching on the firewall makes a big difference in whatever year roadster you choose.

19. andrewdrexler

andrewdrexler
    from Fresno, CA

Thanks for all of the tips and advice (not to mention the pictures of some slick roadsters), it has given me a lot to think about. I am glad that I will be able to fit, as that pickup gave me flashbacks to the Ford Aspire (I spent a weekend crammed into one on a long distance trip once, most miserable 2 days in my driving life).

Still drooling on the 32 roadster, but a model A on 32 rails would allow me to run a Brooksville steel body at the same price as a fiberglass 32 while still capturing the look I am dreaming of. Must do more research.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  20. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

bct beat me too it. I think for you a coupester may be the way to go! There are a few in the HAMB classifieds right now for some REALLY good deals. One of them is over in the San Jose area if I remember right.

21. It appears to me that the improved A RPU's (30/31) are similar in foot well room to a 32 roadster. The 28/29 RPU's look pretty squeezey in teh foot well (as the cowl pinches in).

I'm leaning towards one of those 30/31 Brookville extended RPU cabs (or a glass equivalent) as the extra length and foot well room should make it not too far off a 32 roadster (space wise) from what I can tell. That looks plenty for me and I'm 6ft.

22. hudson48

hudson48

I am doing a channelled 32 roadster and also 6' 1" and around 200lbs:(

I went for the roadster body by Show Me Rod & Custom from near Branson Missouri.The reason for that is that Doug does the doors 2 inches longer and the cabin 2 inches deeper.While stock doors maybe OK with a fully fendered car or a highboy I think the longer doors and cabin will make it much easier to get in/out especially if we fit a roof to the 3" chopped windscreen,and it will give more leg room and be more comfortable to drive.

http://www.showmerodandcustom.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1

I have attached a diagram from another thread showing all the dimensions and comparisons of sizes.Thanks to the original poster.

Incidentally when I was in my 20's I had a channelled 29 Model A roadster and even then it was a tight squeeze and I wasn't 200lbs then either.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
    Sergeant82d likes this.
  23. andrewdrexler

andrewdrexler
    from Fresno, CA

I have been looking at the Coupester’s posted here, and they are a great deal. I am just not sure that it’s for me. That being said, I am looking long and hard at some pictures of one that are in my mailbox hehe.

24. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

Look at my 27 roadster with 6' 6" friend trying it on for a fit. I added 7" to firewall and 7" behind doors. I am 6"2"

Attached Files:

25. andrewdrexler

andrewdrexler
    from Fresno, CA

Hudson: Thanks for the diagrams and link. I have been looking at that green flamed Roadster at a different website. If mine looks 1\2 as nice I will be a happy man :D

Not paintwise, but the look, rake, and cleaness of line.

26. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To answer your initial question: 1929 roadsters are 2 inches narrower than a 1932 roadster, my son is 6' 6" & when we built his orange '29 hiboy we had to move the seat structure frame as far back as possible so his feet could reach the clutch & brake pedals comfortably.

I am 6'2" & when son graduated from hi school I told him he could cruise that night in my '32 roadster, after leaving the house, he was back in 1/2 hour because his feet could not operate my clutch & braks pedals.----We kept this in mind when building his '29 hiboy.-------Don:D:D

Attached Files:

27. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

When I was building my Cabriolet I noticed that Model A's 30-31 Cabriolet has longer doors than roadster and the panel above and below the same deck lid are shorter than roadster panels. Because of these differences it is possible to move the Cabriolet seat more than in Roadster.
    By the way I rebuilt the wood structure 30 Cabriolet body full metal on Coupe subrails and coupe door lower patch panels and entirely scrath built door inners and posts.
    Sorry I don't have the exact dimensions available since I sold cabriolet last year and haven't seen it since. I would say about 4" difference. I don't need extra room being 5'8" so I built longer packing tray for cabriolet.
    Black is cabriolet and bare metal body is my avatar roadster body.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  28. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Larry, the stretch Brookville rpu's are 6" longer, which would make a big difference in room. I have a stock length Brookville 30/31. Channeled, it leaves you with this:
    [​IMG]

For me it is just fine, even with the top on. I still look thru the windshield, not over it.

For somebody 6'5", maybe not so much :D
    Dan

29. bondolero

bondolero

Wow, 6 inches with a column shift could leave even me some leg room at 6', especially if its on a set of 32 highboy rails.

thanks
    Larry