Register now to get rid of these ads!

FALCON and FAIRLANE Air bag suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Turbo442, Feb 8, 2007.

1. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

WOAH SHIT!!!

Thats the coolest thing I have ever seen. Never seen a bag set up like that. Can you give us more details about it? I understand what you are doing there with the levers, but have never seen it done before. Is this a common thing now, has it been tried before, how does it ride and hold up with lots of miles on it?

2. flaked62merc

flaked62merc

honestly have not driven on it yet but it is reinforced to the frame , i think im one of the first to have done it but basically its just a cantalever set up with a pivot in the center shocks are mounted to the arms so i can still run my stock swaybar , car will be on the road in a little while , we work on it in the off time at my buddys shop its all his crazy idea not mine , i think he needs to joint the mad fabricators society

3. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I love everything about it~!!

4. flaked62merc

flaked62merc

thanks man , now i just need to start doing the rear sheet metal so i have a trunk floor and rear wheel tubs and well the list goes on from there , thanks though

5. Ramblux

Ramblux

Looks awesome! My only concern is that you seem to be using cast heim joints at the rods, which don't do too well under lots of load. Like I said though, awesome work. My wife always gives me hell about selling our Ranchero. haha

6. flaked62merc

flaked62merc

didnt you work for street trucks? and have a s10 ?

7. Ramblux

Ramblux

Haha, yes and yes, although I don't think anyone would remember my S-10. :)

8. flaked62merc

flaked62merc

do all ex minitruckers end up building old school customs? actully any time i drove my old minitruck i would get pulled over , now they pull me over just to look at it

9. Ramblux

Ramblux

So true. I never get pulled over in my loud old cars, but I always get pulled over in my loud newer cars. Got pulled over today actually in my drift car. hahaha

10. flaked62merc

flaked62merc

im actully a little stressed just did a motor swap to a ls/vtec in my del sol that has stock exaust and is low key , but i wouldnt have any worries in my 62 with it only a 1 1/2 off the ground

11. Turbo442

Turbo442

So I try to work on this poor car between work, home and other car repairs and projects, in other words; it takes a damn long time to get much done.:(

But it's better than nothing getting done at all.
    Here is the front end almost completed. I got the shock idea from someone who posted a link a an early Merc Comet sight. The upper brackets are from a 80's F250. They bolt on which I liked in case I need to remove them later. I had them shortened about 4" and capped off at the top. A hole was drilled to mount the shock.
    The lower mount is just a piece of plate welded to the strut rod. The pictures were in the middle of gringing them down so they have not sharp corners.
    I found info on shock dimensions on Monroe's web site and went with the same shock that the Comet guy did. It had the correct amount of travel, should dampen well as they were deigned for similar size / weight cars and was cheap because it is a common shock. Shocks are for a 57 Chevy among many others.
    I took it for a short trip around the block and it seems improved.
    Now I got to get the registration and insurance paid so I can test it out a little further.

Attached Files:

12. Turbo442

Turbo442

Forgot to add that the tires clear all the brackets and shocks. Also there is only about 3" of travel at the mounting point where the shocks are so hopefully it has enough effect on dampening vibrations and jolts.

13. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Thats a good idea.

Are you lower beg cups bolted to the upper control arm in any way? Also, what size piping did you use for the bag cups? looks great!

Ill be doing my 63 sprint here very soon.

14. Turbo442

Turbo442

They are bolted in from the top which is welded to the original spring cups. The lower end just sits in the a-arm. It looks a little off in the pic because their wasn't any weight on it so they really extended and I forgot to bleed the air out.

15. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Wanted to bump this back up. I'm about to jump into the air ride for my 63 sprint. Im going a different route (mainly to make people ask questions) but wanted to get this thread back on top. Any updates from anyone?

Rob

16. Such a killer set-up; air bags. BUt I'm concerned about the strut rod bearing any weight at all. I don't think that's correct. I'd rethink that.

17. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Strut rods are pretty tough, but they are designed for forward and aft rigidity so the lower does not fold over on itself when you hit the binders etc. I would rethink it as well. But if you are going to run it that way I think the closer you can get the lower mount to the control arm the better.

18. Turbo442

Turbo442

Understood and good points. I honestly think it will be ok, if anything the bracket would probably let go first, the rod is pretty stout.
    It seems to ride alright but I will make some changes later down the road.

19. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

I may play around with your idea when it comes time to put shocks in the front of the falcon. Do you have any pictures of the car?

20. Turbo442

Turbo442

Also, the only spot to really put a shock would be under the upper control arm at the frame rail, directly above the lower arm. Two probelms with that, it would have to be a REALLY short shock and the brake lines would have to moved (to where?).
    The other option would be to modify the monuting points for one of those air over shock dealy's, $$$!

While I was rebuilding the front end I was thinking of updating the suspension one day to something like a Mustang II or similar setup.
    Quiet a few of the front end parts for these cars are obsolete or getting expensive ($100 for a ball joint!)

21. Turbo442

Turbo442

There are pictures in my Albums in my profile and I have a Thread going titled The 1965 Fairlane

22. halloweennight 96

halloweennight 96

I swear man.... I love your wagon. I was wanting to do mine with chromies, pinners, sublime hot rod flatz and a white roof. Much inspiration for me. Love it.

23. hotrodpainter

hotrodpainter

hey guys first off glad to finally find information on how to bag these cars. this thread has awnsered and gave me alot of ideas.i start on my 64 falcon wagon and ive ran into some issues just wonder if its the same for you guys. the front of my car wont lay all the way out the lower control arms hit the frame before going all the way down. is there a easy fix or is my only option granada spindels. and next i know this has already been talked about but there is no room in the rear for upper links unless you want to get rid of the back seat. so is there anyone that has pics of a 2 link set up with a pan hard bar. would really appreciate anything you guys have to offer.

24. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

there are options of course that cost money! tci makes a rear 4 link set up for a grand and a front mustang II with airride for around 1900 a guy on the hamb priced me. also fatman makes dropped spindles that may get you lower on your stock suspension but they are 500 so by the time you add granada disc to the dropped spindles you will be halfway to the cost of a mustang II. the only way i can see our cars lying all the way out is a mustang II and some cutting in the rear and tunnel. the pumpkin and drive shaft will hit the floorboard before it lays rockers. if you want it slammed laying rockers then get out your wallet and a welder! :D

25. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Looking for ideas for a bag system also. I am looking for a 60-63 falcon wagon and want it to lay out. My first car was a 66 mustang and I slammed it (static) so I know how little the working room is Love the setup on flaked62merc"s ride any rear setup pics?

26. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

just came back to this post, a friend and i built a custom 2 link setup under the back of my wagon. i hope to be driving it in the next couple of weeks so i will know then how it drives.

heres a couple of pics during mocking stages.

Attached Files:

27. slamit09

slamit09
    from san diego

Thanks for the info on this thread...I thought I would help contribute with what I did to help others. Post later pics on the rear, but basically use a Ride Tech bag over spring mount and welded cup mount above and used a 3 inch lowering block and removal of a few springs with 3 left for safety; don't like riding on two springs in rear and not enough $$ to 4 link.

The front I used cup dimensions basically from mercury thread but no off set and a generic cup kit from Quality Air Ride (Suicide Doors)

http://6263meteor.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=hotrod&action=display&thread=60

and modified it a little.(slightly shorter cups) Had a fabricator redo the front brace and do a new bump stop position so that it would lay all the way down but still not have the steering rods hit the frame. The shock mount was a pain and had fabricated a bottom mount welded on lower a arm with a generic (Suicide doors) shock mount for top of shock. It's an 8 1/2 inch shock (I think monroe for Chevy S-10 truck) Loop/rod. Rear was simple the front required some more advanced fabricating for teh shock mount; the cup mount however was a no brainer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  28. sabtaj1

sabtaj1
    from Iowa

Awesome! Great pics! I'm bagging my 65 fairlane wagon. The rear is done but this help a lot for my front. I was trying to figure out changing the bumpstop location too. You did a great job. Are your lower cups welded in or just sitting in the a arm?

29. slamit09

slamit09
    from san diego

Cups just sit in the old spring perch. No need to weld them in. The top old spring cup though is welding on the tubing as shown. I did not off set the cups at all. Don't have a bump stop; but I did not want my steering linkage to hit the frame but still have it laid out as much as possible without notching the frame. Sit's low enough in front for me.

30. slamit09

slamit09
    from san diego

Sabtaj1...That's a DJ bike in the background in your album?