Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! I Need a Good Place In Northern Colorado To Look At My Quickchange!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Aug 20, 2011.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

The Flatcad rear end lube has aluminum filings in it. I need a good place in Northern Colorado to take it and have it looked at.

Any one know of a good place? I know places in Denver, but would like to stay up north.

Thanks in advance!

2. skullcracker

skullcracker
    from Austin

Pinkee's Rod Shop
    4395 Highland Meadows Parkway Map
    Windsor, CO 80550

Phone: (970) 203-1932
    Email: [email protected]

3. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Any circle tracks near you? The sprints and super modifieds (not the IMCA types) run quick changes and could point you in the right direction. When you say filings are there actual filings or just glitter? Nothing in a quick change that is aluminum is actually in a wear situation. The races on the lower shaft, pinion, and in the rear cover should be stationary. If they're spinning in the aluminum you have trouble. If it has an anti-deflection bolt that rubs the ring gear it will leave glitter in the lube but it's brass tipped.

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks, but Pinkiees is more of a tourist trap around here than anything. I suspect I could buy a new Halibrand cheaper than I can have them look at it..

When I first received the QC back, we filled and drained it. There were metal filings like the guy that set it up had drilled it, and not got the filings out. We were ready to leave for Speedweek, so we filled and drained it a couple of times.

Now, we are getting a lot of aluminum glitter. We may have just ground up some of the filings, but I need to insure we haven't spun a bearing or something. I leave for work in Pennsylvania in 2 days, so I need to get this somewhere before I leave. We plan on dropping the FlatCad in the car, and heading off to World Finals.

Anyone have any ideas?

5. hammerstien

hammerstien

Bmf performance in windsor. Owners name is Marc Bean. (970)324-7402. open tues through sat 9-6 I think. He is a performance shop that typically works on o/t stuff but is pretty knowledgeable on everything and can talk your ear off. HAHA had to add the last part since he is my bro-in-law.

6. DiabloMann

DiabloMann
    from colorado

Check with Dave Graber at Advanced Transmission in Ft. Collins. He's a racer and does good quality work.

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks Guys!

We done, or are there any guys that specialize in these out there?

8. skullcracker

skullcracker
    from Austin

I would ask you to speak with Eric before making any judgmental statements. He is honorable and extremely professional.
    DP

9. yngrodder

yngrodder

Isnt there a shop that deals in old hot rods? Owners name is Dave Crouse but I do not remember what the shops name is,

10. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

Where are you coming to in PA? Winters is in York, and Frankland is in Saxonburg, near Pittsburgh... either shop could fix whatever you need. Take out the center section and bring it with you!

11. yngrodder

yngrodder

The Shop I was thinking of is Custom Auto, but they are in Loveland Co,

12. Stop over at Greeley Automotive Machine. North 8th Ave. 970 352 4342 Talk to Bruce, they have been racing at CNS forever. I'm certain that they can offer some advice. Possible solutions.

13. tractorguy

tractorguy

How about taking it apart yourself. They are pretty simple and the internals are what traditional hot rodding are all about......some gears..... a few bearings ......and the structure that holds them all together and in proper relationship. They are actually pretty easy to diagnose.

14. Mercchev

Mercchev

See Dave Crouse at Custom Auto in Loveland

15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of newly set up QCs wear a bit for the first few hundred miles and it is "normal" to see a fine glittery powder for a while. Most of the time it is from the ring gear support pad which in some rears is brass, or possibly aluminum.

Or, you might se some "normal" fine glittery powder from your differential if you have a worm gear style diff, like a true track, gold track or something.

But, on the other hand, if you have a bearing race spinning around in its seat or something like that, it wouldn't be good...

Honestly, if it isn't under any kind of warranty, you should take it apart yourself. They are actually incredibly easy to work on and set up. So simple, even I can do it.

Pop the bells off and all the guts are right there. If there is anything wrong, you will be able to spot it right away.

Good luck and I hope it is nothing...

-Abone.

16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out the bell closest to the vice. See the little half round divot kind of by the bolt holes?

[​IMG]

That is where the adjustment bolt for the ring gear support pad goes. If the guy who built the rear ran the adjustment bolt/pad snug against the ring gear and locked it down, you would get some wear from the pad.

Most street rears, you snug the pad against the gear then back it off a 1/4 turn, but your race rear might be touching the ring gear untill it wears a bit.

If I had to guess, I bet everything is OK, but I would definately open it up just in case.

Good luck, -Abone.

17. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks guys!

Looks like when the bells where installed, a hole was drilled, and the shavings left in.

We're brand new again!