Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kingpin/zerk/Binding issue?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Doing some maintenance on my hotrod... I have developed a "bind" if you will when turning the steering let or right.Checked the box..fine,checked the steering joints and the column.all clear... seems to be at the kingpin and spindle area.
    As the wheel turns(left or right) i get a bind.. then a sudden snap....(not harsh..but you can tell its there.) .... then turns fine.I decided to grease the zerks(on the top and bottom of either side of the axle..)The grease seems to just pour out of the base of each zerk.
    Yes.I had someone turning the wheel to and fro.....and the car is lifted off the ground with no resistance.
    Bad zerks?
    Crappy grease guns?
    I have no movement on the kingpins..which says to me..they are not worn.

kinda stumped on this.
    Any suggestions?

2. Possibly disconnect any steering,and just move the pins? IDK....But,i'll be watching how this turns out.:confused:

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd change the zerks and go again. They do get plugged up fairly often.

I've also had trouble with some grease gun tips not fitting some zerks very well in the past also.

4. Kingsway

Kingsway

Sometimes the ball in the end of the Zerk will seize an not allow any grease in. Could that be the case? It might seem like its going in and maybe its just going around the outside.
    If it is indeed coming out at the base, maybe you could just tighten the zerk up. Hope this helps!

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Mr48... That was my first thought.and the grease guns I have really did not "seat" over the zerks... I plan to buy a new grease gun tomorrow on monday... The lower zerks are really tuff to get a handle on.....

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

The bronze bushings have the hole lined up with the Zerk hole, right? Depending on how your frontend is set up sometimes you can't get a grease gun on the fittings, and a 45 or 90 degree Zerk fitting needs to be used.

7. hotcargo

hotcargo

Gidday Jeff ,

sounds to me maybe the grease feed hole in the king pin bronze bushings are not aligned with the zerk holes in the spindles ..................

cheers

Steve in Oz

8. Jeff, I'm NOT saying this is thee cure all for your problem, but hear me out on this. Try an grease the zerks like the smart truckers do, jack your hot rod up and put the front frame on jack stands so the front wheels hang down. Now grease, if your bushings are worn and your pins are worn, this will allow the slimy stuff to get on the back side of these areas. I always grease this way, again NOT saying this is your cure all, just for future info. TR

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I checked the end pivot ball and the zerks and they push down quite easy...but I will grab a bunch at the Auto Parts store on Monday...
    Yea.....seems like grease is not passing all the way thru past the zerk.

10. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Maybe you could draw a picture so we could get a better idea!?:rolleyes:

Jeff, if you have tie rods make sure they are swiveling well. those would be the most likely to get dirty and bind...especially if the "snap" is at the first return of a full left or full right.
    you can also take a small center punch and hit the zerc ball in to free it up. if it gets stuck in the "in" position it should be replaced anyway.

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Have the Kingpins taken grease when you greased them in the past? Does the grease come out where the fittings screw in or along side of the gun tip? You can change the tip on the grease gun. Make sure you wipe the fittings clean before you connect the gun or the dirt will prevent the tip from locking onto the fitting. The tip should seal and hold pressure. The harder it pumps, the tighter the tip seals. If they get dry they get sticky or rust, they can turn the bushings and block the grease holes. The grease can get hard and prevent new grease from going in. Heating the outside expands the metal and softens the grease.

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I have magnum spindles and the fittings are inset somewhat.... making it difficult to get the gun on the end of the zerk nipple.
    Also...failed to mention..I had a steering stabilizer on.. loosened it off the hairpin and steering has already improved. Maybe thats part of the problem too.The tie rods are greased and swivel like an tahitian grass skirt.

Plan to get new longer fitting tomorrow and give it another try.
    I will let ya know....
    Many thanks to ALL you guys.....

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

When you remove the Zerk, check to be sure the bushings haven't spun and blocked the grease flow.

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

If they have..... the solution is prolly a teardown.....right?

15. Jeff, Zerk fittings are available in 30,45,65,67, and 90 degree's. Possibly others too, they even offer flush mount which will take a special type grease gun fitting. TR

16. pcterm2

pcterm2

jeff this maybe be stupid but have you tried a grease needle?

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks TR!... I will check them out tomorrow.

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I never heard of that pcterm2

19. Be sure to check for clearance turning left and right with any of the angle fittings. The needles the other member mentioned are good to have, sometimes you might have a sealed application with a rubber or poly type boot. You can inject some fresh grease right through the boot. Once you have one, you always find a use for it. It just clicks into the standard grease gun end fitting. TR

20. Zerk

Zerk

The Zerks always take the rap.

But seriously, when you go to replace them, first push a drillbit through the open hole to see if the port is clear or blocked with hardened grease or something.

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ok fellas.will do!

22. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Jeff a little info on your issue,

If your grease fitting spits out grease from the fitting nipple or base, usually the grease has hardened in the fitting or it is plugged with dirt. The first test is to replace the fitting or remove and clean in solvent. You should be able to connect the grease gun and see the grease oooze from the spindle bushing area. If it was previously greased and was ok it is highly unlikely that the bushings have spun and plugged the grease holes.

The biggest issue is the bind in the steering. To check that, jack up the front axle of the vehicle, remove any band aid steering snubbers and cycle the steering completely l- r to determine if the bind is in the spindle or in the box or something else.

To begin to isolate the problem, disconnect the drag link at the pitman arm and cycle l-r the tires attempting to feel for a bind or tight spot. If you feel one then disconnect one tie rod end and cycle each wheel individually to determine which spindle is slow to respond. If you find a stiff spindle regrease that unit.

If there is no bind in the spindles when the box is disconnected it is in the box or can be even in the linkage of the steering universals. If you have a combination steering shaft with two or more u-joint installed make sure that they have been phased correctly, one installed out of phase will cause a bind in the rotation as the joint doesnot sequence correctly as it rotates. To check the box , disconnect the steering shaft and rotate the box by hand, l-r to check for a hard spot. Then reattach the steering shaft and rotate completely l-r to check for a bind in the linkage. Anyway here are a few things to check over.

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks Dick...I really app. the direction..I did not have time today as the shop was very busy....
    I will report back.
    I did however get rid of that steering stabilizer and the tension on cycling the wheels was much lessened.
    There are about 2500 miles on the car.... the fittings look clean....but by just a quick eyeshot exam... I need to pull them off and clean the area.

Thanks All!

24. TDCENG

TDCENG

Guys how about the thrust bearing on the king pin - this could cause a problem when the car is sitting on the wheels . I had one once the was bound up and made for difficult steering . They don't always get proper lubrication

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

All GOOD!
    Removed the zirks, cleaned the threaded kingpin lube points..there was a "skin of very dry grease....
    removed it on 2... cleaned all...greased and no more bind.
    I also gave a healthy shot of fluid film as well on pending joints.
    Steering cycles with no problem.

the motorwagon is ready to rumble..... ahhhhhhh:)

To all who answered my call..... MANY THANKS!

26. Excellent news Jeff!