Register now to get rid of these ads!

Halibrand or Steel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bonesy, Aug 20, 2011.

?
  1. Halibrands with no hood

86 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Black steel wheels with hood

46 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. bonesy

bonesy

Thanks for the opinions.

It just a few nuts to make a change, I may just run a couple of different combos.

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Halibrands with no hood looks best as engine goes with the wheels. The big black rear steelies looks out of place - not period correct.

3. slammed

slammed

Those rear steel's look too modern. Solid steels. The blown/mag wheel looks tough.

4. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

I really like your car the way it appears in your avatar. The other looks are OK, and it's nice to be able to switch wheels every now and then for a change, but truthfully, I think I'd leave well enough alone in this case.

5. billylo

billylo

Agreed. Keep it like you have it......

6. Halibrands and no hood

It takes the car from "nice hot rod" to "Bad-Ass HOT ROD"

Besides, why would you want to cover a blower motor??

7. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

x2...

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hell, just to be different, Halibrands and the hood! Just get some to match for the front...

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'd say with that engine run the halibrands and maybe get some fronts as well. I think your car would be better off without those high clearance wheels looks wise.

Hood? I'm a sucker for a hood when you can run one. Maybe just a hood top? I like the full hood though.

Love that damn car....

10. Safari-Tracker

Safari-Tracker

run them both for what ever mood you are in.

11. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

I must say I agree.............Those big steels look a little bit ott. Hallibrands would look great though. That engine is worth showing off.....................

Very nice car though and you did ask for opinions!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  12. ljones44

ljones44
    from Atlanta

Your car would look awsome with the 10 spoke wheels from E.T. Even better with 12 spoke american's but then you would have to figure how to stop the car.

13. Halibrands with NO hood to show off that cool 471. Have an extra set of halibrand magnersium front runners. Better than the stock market !

14. Rear halbrand magnesiuns with Hurst slicks, 15x 4.5 up front with 155 Firstone F540 from Coker. Getting a new 327 built with weber and yank the hooff for good !

15. brandon

brandon

if halibrands on front ....which ones.?:confused: that will be another thread in itself....:D

16. bonesy

bonesy

That's a mean looking set-up!

17. bonesy

bonesy

No joke. That may be more of a question of what I can even find. I'd love a set of 4.5" small window or even no window mags.

10 spokes would be cool, but I like my front binders.

18. brandon

brandon

heard those are on the extinct list..... or the organ donor payment list...still in need of 2 myself;)

19. no hood , and the Halibrands no question.

20. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Personally I say Mags and no hood or just the hood top but only if you get some mags for the front too. Put one set of wheels on one side of the car and the other set on the other side then walk around the car a few times and see what speaks to you. Maybe you can borrow a front runner to match your rear mags for the walk around exercise. Great car any way you slice it but for some reason the tall rear wheels just don't do it for me.

21. Halibrands - with or with out hood, either way works. Folks say there are too many cars with Mags don't understand that Real Magnesium Halibrands are NOT very common. And the tires on those 20" steelies look too DONK to me (not the wheels themselves, just the silly tires).

22. 117harv

117harv

Donk....:eek: how can you use that term when refering to vintage Ford tin. 18 and 20's were used alot back when, albeit on the lakes mostly. Larger wheels aside, the diameter of the tires is still the same. The fact that they are 70 + years old should account for something...no:confused:

I like the steel wheels better as i'm into that part of history. The aluminum or real MAG wheels do look good with the hood sides removed and the blower showing.
    I guess it all comes down to the look you want, with the hood sides removed and the MAGs, the coupe looks like a 25 year newer build.

Like others have suggested maybe mix it up from time to time...either way you have an OUTSTANDING coupe for sure.

23. sr

sr
    from Monterey

stick some 16x3.5 ford steelies in the front with no caps (1940 ford v8 60). you never have enough money for narrow front halibrands....
    that coupe is too nice. The smoothies from Vintage eng. are perfect. They are also making a small window mag hal wheel. They used one of mine for the pattern.
    the motor is awesome. I like to look at it., but I like the hoods on cars. Make them guess what you have.
    Have all the wheels you want and play around. some days halibrands some days the big wheels.
    Maybe put the big halibrands on the front and the 20s on the rear............just for fun! just kidding.

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

25. fonti

fonti

steelies and no hood...eventually halibrands, but then also halibrands up front, my 2c

26. Rem

Rem

The Halibrands look great with that open front - just need some mags for the front axle. But absolutely not those modern 10-spoke critters.

Or another pair of black 16" '40 steels with 7.50s on the back, and run with the hood and steels on the front. I don't <heart> those 18s or whatever on the back.

27. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I like the steel wheels and a hood. Actually I would like the steel wheels and no hood but that wasn't an option. Either way its still a nice car.

28. brandon

brandon

just because something is old doesn't always make it cool.....do you think they would have ran those big old steel things back them if there were other options.....? :eek::D give me the halibrands over those , over priced farm truck dairy mail truck wheels.....:D

29. I guess I'm the fly in the ointment!:rolleyes:

Personally,I have never been a fan of the milk truck style wheels,,I prefer the Halibrand's WITH a hood,,just saying.:D HRP

30. brandon

brandon

sometimes its easier to follow the herd, than to sit still.....;)