Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs *** 1961 Cadillac CDV Kustom build ***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ian Berky, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Brain

Brain
    from Kansas

I know someone with 4 perfect 61 caddy caps

2. 76formulafiend

76formulafiend

now that is some funny shit

3. BenDaPirate

BenDaPirate

Looks amazing!! What's the trunk latch out of?

4. MIKE P.

MIKE P.

Man it just keeps gettin better!

5. Dirty54

Dirty54

Chuck Grell Streeter chrome in riverside ca 1 714 492 6302 charged me a 1/4 of what oher guys wanted to do my grille

6. spot

spot
    from usa

All I can say is wow! You get more done in a day than I can in a week. Beautiful work. Looking forward to the sheetmetal brake info as well.

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yeah, I NEED a sheet metal break (correct spelling of that word-cuz you 'break', or fold, the metal, you don't 'brake' it), been trying to find one for some time, but they are all too damned expensive...I'm looking forward to that tech...

R-

8. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

It actually is a sheet metal BRAKE. As in Cornice Brake, Box-and-Pan Brake, Press Brake...

9. Griznant

Griznant

Yeah, I'm not too sure about that.

I just bought a new Accurpress 320 ton x 12' Press Brake, Model 732012 and all their literature clearly calls out "BRAKE". All the other brake presses we have are the same way. I've never even seen it spelled "break" unless it was a spelling error, and even then, NEVER by a manufacturer.

http://www.accurpress.com/

10. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx so much guys..... I'm speechless!!!! Been working my ass off on the Cadillac in my fucking brutally hot garage and been making some progress , but a much slower pace!!!!!:(

Hey Skip :D, Ill be there in the morning for a little while but not the whole day.... SEE you there????

Hey Brian, sorry i haven't been a really good friend and haven't returned you call......Lame on my part!!!! Been so caught up in my own little world, but still no excuse!!! love you brother!!!! Let me know if you wanna sell the caps, i decided on running the caps over all the other options!!!!:)

for those who don't know "" BRAIN"" is the awesome KANSASIAN who gave me the Cadillac!!!!

Progress pics coming in the next few minutes!!!!:)

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's amazing how very few will even know the ass end was veed.

13. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

So after about 10 days of work on the rear..... I wasn't happy so i decided to cut all the shit out and start over again!!!!! SHIT HAPPENS!!!!

First i tackled the inner structure on the lid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then went to the local yard to find a GOOD trunk latch. The ONLY all metal latch i could find was out of Ford Probe, it came with the cable and release mechanism. 12$[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So then i started laying the round rod to create the structure and gaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well then...what the hell do I know (obviously not much about sheet metal BRAKES...!!!)...??? Maybe that's why I can't find a good one cheap.:rolleyes:

That's gotta be the most contradictory word I've seen in a long time and I stand corrected...thank you all for enlightening me.

OK Ian, NOW I'm really waiting for your tech on the $42 brake...

Oh, BTW, the trunk area is looking tits...

R-

15. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Then I tackled the rear pan.

I don't have a BRAKE so after looking at different ones online and HOME TOOL TECHS, I went to the local metal supplies in the SCRAP pile and bought all the materials for less than 50$

I really don't think i'm reinventing the wheel here, or trying to show my how smart i am... Take it for what it is!!!!!

It works amazing with 20 g, and with 18g it's a slightly rounder bend, but still works great for i need to do here on this project!!

Got some 1/4" x 3" angle iron , 2 pieces of 48" long and a few heavy duty hinges.

[​IMG]

tacked the hinges in place, where i thought the angle iron would get the most motion.

[​IMG]

then placed the other piece on top, FLUSH with the bottom one , NOTE that the hinge is lower on the bottom piece.

[​IMG]

now for the top piece it's again 1/4 " angle iron, 3 x 2 x 48. the 2 " part is the section that is vertical, for longer motion when you bend but still get the strength so the brake doesnt flex on thicker gauge metal.

[​IMG]

welded some HEAVY gauge tubing for the handles

[​IMG]

So here's a very important part of this how to... your top piece ( 3"x2" ) HAS to have a beveled edge or your brake will work like shit.
    so i clamped a guide and ground down a 45 degree edge.

[​IMG]

welded a tab in the rear center and drilled right through all the pieces and my work table. the 2 side bolts will hold my metal pieces before i bend to keep the metal from moving, sliding ,etc....... BEFORE YOU DRILL THE HOLES PLACE THE TOP BAR AGAINST THE BEND AND GO FULL MOTION , BY THAT POINT YOU'LL KNOW WHERE THE TOP PIECES NEEDS TO BE. TACK IT, DRILL THE HOLES!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and you're done. the piece in the background is 18 g. perfect for extending bottom fins!!!!!;)

Not rocket science but it works great for the small home operation i have here!!!!!

16. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Oh I forgot.... If you put a THIN layer of lubricant on the metal you are bending , you eliminate METAL TO METAL friction and makes it much easier to bend. Just saying!!!!:)

here's the rear pan i did with the brake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Then i got sick of looking at the rear so i moved on to the bottom fins.

i'll get back to it a little later and roll the rear section on the wheel, and finish the grill insert area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My knees and back are killing me from working so low on the ground.... I totally forgot that i do own jack stands.... :eek:

[​IMG]

More to come soon!!!!!!

Thanx for watching!!!!

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here's a really off-the-wall suggestion, Ian- after looking at how you extended the fins on the bottom...and then you had to extend the bumper...I'm wondering how it would look if you had duplicated the taillight in the bottom fin...???

I said it was off-the-wall...!!!

R-

19. Incredible. Great eye for the lines.

20. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Yesterday i played around with the extended fin and drew some lines to mimic to top fin and it was WAY TOO SHARKY!!!! I felt it made the car lose the space age feel i'm trying to create . Trust me, I thought about some options and i think sometimes less is more?!?!?!?! It's already so busy in the rear, i think, that the fins will just be extended, for proportion purposes only. Thanx though!!!:)

21. Looks great Ian!

22. Foppa

Foppa

i will say it once more, such an awesome build...

23. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

1961 Cadillac CDV Kustom build

~ or ~

"How to Make a Beautiful Car Stunning"

By: Ian Berky

24. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Wow, Ian...this Caddy gets better with every update...I really like the extended lower fins and bumper edges. Can't wait to see it all together and rolled outside.

25. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx so much guys!!!! :)

It'll be rolled outside on the street very soon, I CAN'T WAIT..... It might look like shit..... who knows??!?!?!?!?!

26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is exactly ZERO possibility of that happening.

27. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

[​IMG]

Man, this is just killer! Reminds me of the back of a paper airplane!

[​IMG]

28. big creep

big creep

looks good to me!

29. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

love it, great stuff.........