Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone in the Tampa, FL area know this car??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake D 56, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

I'm looking at this '49 Lincoln for a possible trade. I'm in West Palm Beach and the car is in Tampa... Anyone in or around Tampa know this car? Possibly able to give me a heads up whether it's really as nice as it looks in the pics?

Any help making up my mind for me would be most appreciated. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jake, what are you trading for, your avatar? If it was in Lake Worth I could come down and help you out, no time for a Tampa run right now, TR

3. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

Yeah, that's the deal. The Lincoln is on Tampa CL so I'm just looking to see if anybody on here knows anything about the car first hand before I committ to anything.

Hell, they almost all look great in pictures, know what I'm sayin?

4. What type of price would you sell the 56 outrite for?

5. mtpockits

mtpockits

ive seen it at a show in bellview, looks very nice to me.

6. URY914

URY914

I'm in Tampa. I don't know the car but I'd be willing to have a look at it for you. I could send you more pictures of it.

Paul

7. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

That's part of my dilemma. I was thinking, if I was to put it up for sale, I'd ask about the same as what he's asking for the Lincoln. For me it's a straight up trade or it probably isn't worth it. There's some give and take to both cars:

The body on my 56 is rough. It needs needs a ton of body work, but is mechanically solid, running and dependable....mostly....or at least as dependable as a hot rod is likely to be. I can hop in and go where ever whenever and it's a BLAST to drive.

The body on his Lincoln looks fantastic (again, in pictures), but he says right in his ad that he wouldn't consider it a highway cruiser, so I'm thinking of what I'll have to rework and rebuild to get it to an any time anywhere driver.

My other thought is that although I love my truck, you see an F-100 or two almost every show you go to, I don't even remember the last ime I've seen a badass 49 Lincoln slammed on the ground like that.

The kid in me just keeps telling me it's really cool and I need it.:D.

8. Jake, I see your an electrician and not a body man, that might be your answer. The Lincoln needs wiring according to the C/L ad, your rig needs body work. Sounds like you like the sled, take your sons and go check it out and then decide. Take the fam to Busch gardens and make a day of it. The Tampa Zoo is pretty cool too, just watch the neighborhood, might want to bring a pocket pistol- or two :eek: TR

9. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

He emailed me this morning and wants to see if we can work something out this Saturday or he's thinking about putting it up on ebay. So I sent him an email back and made him my offer and we'll see what he says. I want the Lincoln bad, but I don't want to give away the truck either. It looks rough, but it has a whole lot going for it in the drivability category.

Stuned for the thrilling climax.....

10. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

HE WENT FOR IT!

Spoke on the phone tonight and he seems like a pretty straight up guy too. Looks like I'll be heading to Tampa on Saturday to make the swap. I'm psyched!!! :D:D:D:D

11. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Bring a magnet to see what that pretty HOK is covering up. Looks good in the pics though.

12. Very cool! Make sure you update the thread, we all want to hear about a good deal going down on CL!

13. Kenny P

Kenny P

Cant wait to see it!
    Like Concept said, I hope this ends as a good deal Craigslist story!!
    Maybe its a sign, I just had a great CL experience last night after we got off the phone, posted some of my R/C cars and had cash in my hand less than 4 hours later. :D

14. raidmagic

raidmagic

Congrats! One question though, why do you have to haul all the way? He can't meet you on the road somewhere? I've done lots of deals with people across the state and have had lots of luck picking a mid point to save everyone some drive time. Good luck with the car.

15. jcillch

jcillch

I looked the car over at the misfires car show this past feb. it was pretty cool. needs tlc but not much overall I would love to have it it my garage. it has been for sale for a long time or it has traded hands afew times this year. I didnt get under it but it was pretty smooth on top. bondo and flat paint can make anything smooth. I cant say its loaded with plastic but I can say it looks flippin cool. good luck on saturday

16. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

Kenny: It should be back in town by dinner time tomorrow night and you know where it'll be after that. Gimme a shout any time on Sunday if you feel like swinging by.

raidmagic: He was looking for my 56 plus some cash and my counter was my truck period, but I'd be willing to make the drive to do the swap. I'm not into the 56 for nearly what he's asking for the Lincoln, so I feel pretty ok about a Saturday road trip. Gives me something exciting to do with my two boys for their last weekend before school starts Monday too.

jcillch: Thanks for the vote of confidence! I wish I were naive enough to believe the whole "New Mexico Rust Free" thing, but bondo or no, cool is cool and that Lincoln is indeed cool! I've always loved the sleds and I've been thinking more about selling the truck lately than I have been wanting to do all the body work, so I'm jumping on it.

17. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Looks like a great trade!
    Good for you, and yep, keep us posted on how you like it.
    Cheers........

18. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

I couldn't be happier right now. More to come...... Gotta go meet the girlfriend for a drink since I bailed on her today to go get a "Kosmo the Whale Shark" No, that's not it's name, I don't name cars, but I thought I'd let y'all in on the inside joke.... That's what my kids were calling it on the way home looking at it out the back window on the trailer. :D:D:D

19. raidmagic

raidmagic

That is one of my favorite things. Going to get a new project!! Glad you enjoyed the ride and good luck with the new car.

20. ibspector

ibspector

It followed us home!:cool:

Attached Files:

21. ibspector

ibspector

Kosmo the Whale Shark???:D:D:D

Attached Files:

22. ibspector

ibspector

:eek::eek::eek:

Attached Files:

23. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

Since a few of you guys asked, this was indeed a terrific CL experience! Drove 4 hours to Tampa and when we got there, the Lincoln really was as advertised. From what we could see on the body and up underneath, this really looks like it was a Real live "rust-free New Mexico" survivor! This thing is solid like a tank, the flathead in it runs and sounds terrific, and the cool factor is through the roof!! Of course it needs work before I can really run it much, but that was expected. I found out that the guy selling it was doing so because of some bad personal feelings and mojo that went along with how it came to him in the first place. I didn't get all of the story, but I do know that his wife HATED the thing and I honestly don't think it would have mattered what we showed up with on the car hauler, he needed the Lincoln gone and wasn't getting anywhere trying to sell it online or locally. Really straight forward nice guy, everything was what he said it would be and the trade went as smoothly as anything could go.

By the way, he's also got a '52 Chevy in the garage that he wants $2500 firm for, if anyone around here or there is looking, let me know and I can PM over a few pics that I took and the guy's contact info. The car is a lot rougher than the Lincoln was, but I'm sure it's worth $2500 to the right guy. Not that I'm trying to sell it for him or anything, but this was a good enough experience for me that I wouldn't mind helping the guy out by letting the HAMB community know it's out there.

Anyways, as we were hauling it home, my old man (^ibspector up there^) and I were talking and he brought up a really interesting question I'm hoping you guys will weigh in on:

I've always wanted a Merc. Love 'em. And the more you look at the Lincoln, the more you see the family resemblence, so to speak. In 1949, the Lincoln was the SHIT! I mean if you could afford one of these in 49, you had some serious bucks. So why is it that in 2011, if this were a 49 merc instead of a 49 Lincoln, I'd never have been able to touch it in this condition for this kind of price/trade? I'm not dissing anybody's merc or ruffle any feathers, Just wondering what anybody else thinks...

24. jcillch

jcillch

Congrats on your transaction. you and your family should bring it to the rumblers show in september. As for the lincon/mercury..... Slyvester Stalone drove a mercury, therefore the Lincon is cooler tenfold. I love a merc done right but, Ive seen literaly thousands of them. I cant say I have seen more than a handfull of lincons that were "done". Would you want a 32 ford coupe or a 32 dodge coupe??? More people will say ford, it has been jammed down our throats "a 32 ford is THE hot rod". I would take the Dodge just 'cause it is not a 32 ford. I really like the Lincon I think you scored. Enjoy

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Don't you just love it when a trade goes well? Seems like both of you are smiling.:)

Frank

26. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

Those are pretty close to my thoughts exactly. And right along the lines of what everyone I know who's seen it in person has had to say too. I don't like to say "never", but I honestly don't recall ever seeing one of the Lincolns in person before I got this one. That alone ups the cool factor for me in a BIG way!

I'll always love a nicely done merc (or a deuce, for that matter), but to me, the lincoln is every bit as sweet as any merc.... My old man's 31 model A is every bit as cool as a 32 coupe.....

27. Angliaguy

Angliaguy

Cool car. I'll be looking for it at some local cruise ins or shows. Can't wait to check it out.

28. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

The car looks great, a few more inch's of wheel base on that Lincoln and you would have needed to rent two trailers..........

29. jay7262

jay7262

That "whale" barely fits on the trailer!! LOL cool sled

30. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

No kidding! Inside to inside on the trailer fenders was 81" and the outside width of the Lincoln is about 78". Getting it on there was a more than a little nerve racking. :eek: