Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Couple Flake Paint Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thirdstreettito, Aug 20, 2011.

1. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

I was looking at Alsa Corps website and noticed they have black flake. Does anyone have a picture of what black flake looks like when applied? I was thinking of a white basecoat, with 1-3 coats of clear with black flake in it on top. Anybody know what that would look like? I was thinking it would be sort of like white with little black specks, then when the sun hits the flake it will "pop". All input appreciated. Thanks, Bradley

2. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

I think it would look like white paint with dirt in it. The reason for the black flake is so you can flake a black paint job with out the silver flake looking stupid. If you don't mind the salt and pepper look I say go for it, its your car.

3. goufos

goufos

4. L-Diablo

L-Diablo

5. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Im wondering if I put at least 3 thick flake coats if it will make the paint look grayish silver, but when the sun hits it it will have a black sparkle. Time to buy a Hood and test it all out! And of course I will take pictures. I love you guys that much. :)

6. Willy301

Willy301

Maybe a white pearl under it, that would be very interesting..

7. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Hmm, ideas ideas.

8. DRAGULA54

DRAGULA54

It would look like how when the tv goes out and you get the black n white fuzzy tv. Black flake black base is the way I'd say to go. I did a sliver base and green flake one time and looked funny to me but match your base to flake looks killer but to each their own best of luck to you!

9. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Thanks, I need to buy a compressor and gun and ALL that stuff. I need a gun that can spray just about anything(candy, clear, flake, gloss, flat, satin, etc), I dont mind changing the tip size to accommodate the paint. I was thinking a DeVillBiss or Sata HVLP, but I dont know which to get etc etc. Any good articles on choosing a gun would be great. Also, Whats the minimum size compressor I should get(hp, cfm, gallons)? Thanks, Bradley

10. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

Well Im kinda stuck on my sata. With that being said I have used other good guns though. And the compressor size kinda depends on what all you will be using it for get the biggest you can afford.

11. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Not trying to be rude or anything, but it appears by your last post that have little or no painting experience:confused:

If that's the case, I'd strongly recommend taking a class on the subject at a community college, or at the least, search out a few painting seminars before you invest thousands of dollars in equipment and material just so you can experiment with black flake......

You also need to fully understand the dangers associated with using the chemicals before you put family and friends at risk.

Custom painting is a lot of fun and extremely rewarding, but it usually takes a number of years to reach a point where painting custom finish materials is actually a workable situation. It's not difficult, but just the same the learning curve can be steep.
    If you aren't up on the paint trade, get educated first and save yourself unimaginable grief and heartache

Good luck with your efforts.

12. outlaw256

outlaw256

outlaw steel has painted many, many cars and is one of the best ive seen. his custom paint is best bar none. i dont get how in the fuck you come up with that shit out of that statement.

13. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I apologize.... Really. The last thing I want to do be is insulting to a guy who knows the business.....

I meant to quote this post(below).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  14. scottb356

scottb356

For someone just getting into painting. I would advise against a SATA for one reason...cost. For a beginner, the results gained from a SATA or Iwata will not be worth the additional cost IMHO. You will get just as a good a job form a Devilbiss Finishline, that comes with several different tip sizes. The SATA comes with one. You will need more than one tip size for different applications, and at 500 + for a SATA then another 250 per tip set....well you do the math

That said, once you konw what you are doing, you can't beat a SATA or Iwata for performance.

15. indyjps

indyjps

Im not a pro, just shot a few cars, but used to work in a body shop. Painters I worked with kept a dedicated clear gun, nothing else was run thru it.

Highly suggest some test panels. you can use cheaper materials to test out ideas.

16. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

Hey third street pm me. I have a few guns that I would sell pretty cheap to you. Also have a few airbrushes if you want to start playing around with that. Best advise I ever got when I started was prep prep prep and then prep some more. also grab a few fenders and hoods from the yard if you dont have them laying around for practise get a buddy thats a painter and ask him to teach you some things. Most guys will gladly show you anything you wanna know. And remember its only paint it can be fixed. Most people when they paint there first thing mess up because they are so damn nervous lol.

17. outlaw256

outlaw256

sorry brother,i came on pretty hard. but i couldnt fiqure out how you came to that conclusion with his statement.im pretty damn protective of outlaw steel. besides that being the name of my shop ,hes also my son.i taught him about paint and how to paint. ive been painting for around 35yrs and hes 10 times the painter and body man i ever was, hes that good. atleast to me. and ive seen some of the best.he has surpassed my abilities a long time ago.and i was told i was good lol.again im the one who should say im sorry ken

18. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

No problems here man....
    I should've paid closer attention.:eek:

19. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

the prep prep prep is good advice. the thing that shows and everybody see's is your last 5 minutes of prep. I started in the body business in 1960 and I learn something every time I do a job which isn't to often now. I'm getting too damn old. If you get into something and don't know how to do it ask someone who does. If they won't help you they are assholes.

20. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Thanks guys. I have tons of experience using aerosol paint, I have an airbrush, but due to being impatient I bent the needle in 2006 and let paint dry inside of it, it was the most expensive model Badger made, and I screwed it up.

I did paint my uncles Dodge with a Harbor Frieght HVLP gun in 2006. Most of it was orange peel, but the tops of the fenders and roof and hood were all glass. He taught me how to mix filler and paint.

I'm not a know-it-all, but I do read more than my share, I have the book "Custom Painting" by JoAnn Bortles, I have read it twice and am on my 3rd time. I am fairly good friends with Ed Hubbs(Full Blown Kustoms), he has taught me so much.

I have some Kafka brushes and One-shot paint so I can start striping. (I used to paint birdhouses and sell them for good money, I'm damn good with a brush)

I have read the application guides, color charts, effects, and all about all of the HOK products and all of the AlsaCorp products, I like to arm myself with knowledge, but there is no substitute for hand-on. I currently live in an apartment, so if I want to do any work on vehicles I have to go off property(some friends have shops). I have researched what the best brands of most things are.

I love talking to good painters, but near me, there are none. :(

I have learned the hard way(and am still learning)that prep makes perfect. Unfortunately the closest autobody supply to me is around 30mi. And I still need a job.

So, thats my story. My first big project is my 88 suburban(OT I know), it had a $300 paint job a few years ago, bondo was used to fix and imperfection, including body rot. I will be going to school for welding, so I dont mind subbing the welding(patch panels)out to a shop until I get my schooling. I have my dads 6'x7'x3' Snap-On toolbox, full of Snap-On tools.

outlawsteel, when I get some money set aside I will take you up on your offer.

EDIT: I also love looking/reading about guys like Bill Hines, George Barris, Wade Hughes, etc.

21. Willy301

Willy301

I think you have some real good base knowledge, but like you said, no replacement for hands-on experience. I have a few body men around me, but unfortunately, they are not as kind as Outlawsteel, or his dad for that matter. I will attempting my first all over paint job in the coming months, thankfully it is with basecoat/clearcoat and no pearl or flake to worry about.

22. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

Hell bud pm me you address and Ill send them to you as I never pick them guns up anymore. And if your freinds with ed hubbs then you are in the right direction. He is a awesome painter. He is a master with a airbrush. Pick his brain as much as you can. I think he has some good how to videos out also.(not sure on that one)

23. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

outlawsteel - Man, I love the HAMB! :) I've watched all of Ed's how to's at least once. I'd love to get back into airbrushing, I have a bunch of HOK airbrush paint that has been in a barn through summers and winters, do you think it is still usable? I do have a 3 gallon compressor that I bought for airbrushing. So I got that going for me. :)

Willy301 - I hope my suburban will come out nice. I'm thinking Snow White Gloss with pearl turquoise 80's style stripes on the sides. I think it will turn out nice. I hope to see yours done too.

24. Willy301

Willy301

Your air brush may not be totally screwed up if you still have it. I actually smeared Zip Strip in a nozzle and body of gun I had let paint dry in...it cleaned it right up, just don't put it on any plastic, teflon or rubber seals...

25. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

I'll have to find it and take it apart, I've grown more patient in my old age lol.

26. jay7262

jay7262

@ thirdstreettito, I like to use the old siphon feed guns for flake as the gravity feed guns will suck the flake down like a drain. I also throw a couple of nuts in the bottom of the cup a swirl them around because you want to keep the flake suspended in the carrier or clear.

27. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

perfect example that Black and flakes don't mix. Never have, never will!

28. Abomb

Abomb

Take a piece of white paper and sprinkle pepper on it....that's how it will look. It's your vehicle, but I think it'll look bad....not the good bad either.

29. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

I agree it will look like pepper on paper. I'll test it out to make sure, gotta get an extra hood and test on it.