Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heads, Main and Rod ARP Studs Torque Specs SBC 327 ?? Late night Build!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28chevrat, Aug 20, 2011.

1. 28chevrat

28chevrat

What up guys late night build on my SBC 327 small journal got ARP studs all around, just wondering what you guys torque them at?

Got the mains at 75 Ft/LB and the rods at 50 Ft/lb
    Heads ? was thinking 70 ft/lb

Just want some reassurance before I finish it up!! thanks :cool:

2. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Everybody must be sleeping...
    arp studs......hmmm. 75 is good for the heads and mains (use arp lube or motor oil ) on the threads for both ends of the main studs, and on the NUT end of the head studs.
    The block end of the head studs need some sealer.. I use # 2 permatex or liquid teflon thread sealer.
    If you have not installed the head studs yet, here is a tip based on experience ! Have everything laid out , ready to install both heads. Put the sealer on a stud, run it all the way down tight, then back it off 1/4 turn...repeat 16 more times...slide the head on the studs ...install the washers and nuts (dont forget the lube ! ) then tourque the nuts down in 2 or 3 steps.....
    If you tighten the studs tight in the block and do not back them off, they tend to cock a little and make it nearly impossible to get the head down over the studs !

As for the rod bolts......if they are ARP bolts your torque # sounds a little high for small journal.
    Stock small journal rod bolts spec is somewhere around 25 ft lbs ! if my memory is awake, aftermarket sm journal spec is 35 to 45 ft lbs.
    Lg journal stock spec is 35 ft lbs, aftermarket lg journal spec is 45 to 50 ft lbs..
    dont forget the lube !
    Dave

3. 28chevrat

28chevrat

Thanks for the response Dave, I did use sealer for the studs in the block. I also did use motor oil when I torqued everything down. Your right on the rod bolts should be around 45 gonna change that. Thanks !!!!

4. BadbeatFactory

BadbeatFactory

if you go with the recommended torque from ARP, you wont go wrong. Use what they recomend as far as lube also. I dont ever remember ARP wanting motor oil as a lubricant with their products.
    Everything you requested should be on the ARP box it was shipped in...

5. oj

oj

ARP gives both values, with oil torque and with thier lube/moly torque

6. 28chevrat

28chevrat

Was going to give ARP a call before the weekend but decided to build this engine Friday night so I was S.O.L. on that. I bought the engine used from a buddy and was just gonna freshen it up. So I didn't get no instructions or box with the ARP Studs.
    I heard mixed responses on using oil on the ARP's...
    I appreciate the responses, thanks !!