Register now to get rid of these ads!

S&W front engine dragster chassie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hjallle, Aug 18, 2011.

1. hjallle

hjallle
    from Sweden

Hi i am wondering about S&W front engine dragster chassie kit

Is this a god chassie to begin with ?
    or is there som others in that price range?
    can i sfi certifi this to 7.50?
    rear tyres ? ( have 10*15 rims )
    rear axle ratio ? ( most 1/8 passes )
    houling about 6500 rpm

have a smallblock chevy with blower and gasoline to start with ( 500 hp) estimated
    powerglide 1.82 tranny with special built turbine and transbrake ( dont have it yet)

a certified chassie bulider gonna weld it together for me

regards / Hjalle

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. 150J/F

150J/F

I have built one of their FED kits. Worked out very well. Drawing package is excellent.
    You will need a jig table, TIG welder and tools. A knowlegable chassis builder will help alot!
    With a blown small block, you can run 12-30x15 tires on 10x15 wheels. Start with
    4.10 rear. Buy good quality axles and rear end parts. You will be sitting on them.
    MB

3. hjallle

hjallle
    from Sweden

Is there some body that have some pictures of this chassie ?

Hjalle

4. dbradley

dbradley

5. bauschracing

bauschracing

Good chassis, needs to be TIG welded and get the sticker . This will raise the re-sale value. Go ahead and make the cage as big as you can, again for re-sale.
    I would get a 1.7 glide not the 1.8. and get the turbo spline. Convertor choice will be better.
    Do not skimp on the rear or axles or any safety for that matter.
    We lost our altered 3 years ago with a colision with the concrete wall at aprox. 110 mph. It then rode on top of the wall 130 feet then flipped 5 times end over end. Altereds are kind of like ft. engine dragsters, so we know what can happen.
    good luck
    Mike

6. oj

oj

Talk to rooman or king chassis here on the hamb. Thats what they do for a living, fed's. They could pound one together for you and have it certified before it is shipped and then you can pick and chose the boltin componants.
    I am close enough to S&W that i see some of thier junk - i fixed an AMC they tubbed out when the guy launched for the first time the whole rear end came out of the car! Everything stayed right on the starting line at Mason-Dixon Raceway (check thier website, they might have a pic of it). The salesguy at S&W said that he had more power than what the kit was designed for and he would have to 'upgrade'. Well, i did the 'upgrade' by properly welding everything together.
    To be honest with you, there are 2 sections to S&W, one does the bracket race stuff and another does the funny cars etc - the funny car guys know what they are doing. The original guys that started S&W are long gone, thier kids (i think) have taken over and while i am relatively close i do not have a single item of thiers on my wall for sale.
    I would talk to rooman or king chassis, they're hambrs and flat know what they are doing. I would not want to be the guy calling from overseas having built the chassis to find out that you've got too much power and need to 'upgrade'.

7. carshopowner

carshopowner

8. hjallle

hjallle
    from Sweden

oj was the welding done by S&W on that AMC or was the upgrade tubes in that chassi wrong size or what ? i think if i do a sfi certified then it will be ok
    and its gonna be built in a chassie jig on a workchop that builds promodcars sometimes
    hi has newer built a front engine dragster before but he nows how to weld and have al the right stuff to put it together.
    yes im gonna have a strong rear ford 9 inch end from mark williams or strange with spool and 35 or 40 splines , dont now the brakes yet

thanks for your awnsers
    i will look up roman or king chassis also

i have mail king chassie but i dont got a awnser yet
    i like the laidback chassie of legal king 1966

thanks / hjallle

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011