Register now to get rid of these ads!

Observation!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tomslik, May 12, 2005.

1. tomslik

tomslik

how come jap bikes are cool here but not the cars?

whyzat?

2. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Cool.......Jap bikes!.........[​IMG]

3. BuickinaBucket

BuickinaBucket
    from Newark, DE

It's simple. The Yamaha XS 650 is a blatant copy of a Triumph. They look damn near identical at first glance and can be given the same traditional chop/bob treatment. And, since you can pick one up in decent running condition for like $400 it's obvious why they are popular. If Honda made a car that looked exactly like a '50 Merc you'd see them here too.

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

'77 Toyota Celicas look exactly like '67 Ford Mustangs, how come we don't see those here?

5. rlackey

rlackey

Come on guys! I'm building a '54 Chevy and I've only worked up the courage to start posting two days ago. This place can be ruthless, now some guy with a '77 Celica? He'd get torn apart... there'd be nothing left of him!

I'll go out on a limb here though and say I think the bikes should warrant the same treatment... but it's true not everyone can afford to build up a vintage Harley, Triumph, or what have you.

Rich

6. tomslik

tomslik

refer to "smiley face)
    you fuckers are taking this WAY too seriously.....

btw, 49 fords and mercs are fucking ugly(to me) ....they look like taurus'ssssssszzzzzzzz or a hyundi

7. BELLM

BELLM

Bikes of any kind are just plain cool. Who would have thought that ugly old Honda 305 Dream I threw away back in the early 70s would be worth anything today.
    Most cars are just plain transportation. Funny how Anglias, Fiat Topolinos, etc that were great drag cars are acceptable traditional hot rods. Never saw too many Datsun B210 drag cars.
    To answer your question, guess it is the same reason Camaros, Mustangs, etc don't fit here. Also, I think Ryan likes motorcycles.

8. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

OK OK OK How about this ,

Why are Jap cars so ugly but Ornamental girls so cute???

Yeah answer that!!

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Ornamental girls?

You mean like the ones that walk around with christmas lights on 'em?

10. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

Yeah, aren't ornamental girls the ones who work at Bronner's Christmas Wonderland in Frankenmuth, Michigan?

Anyway, you're right. There should be a whole section of the HAMB for drifting. And another section with SR20DET tech.

11. TINGLER

TINGLER

I know I've been hearing the call of the fart can lately....
    I've been getting goose bumps when those cool little machines buzz past the house....hmmmm...I'm missing out on something I think to myself. All that gas mileage AND something fast and cool too!!!

NOT! :D :D :D

Seriously though, I do dream of building a 4cly hot rod someday. A cool little bucket powered by one of those tuner engines....well, at least maybe a 4cly out of an s-10 or something.

Like was already said, if you could make a Honda car LOOK like something from the 30's 40's or even 50's or 60's even....people on here would embrace them.

12. Sailor

Sailor

Im pretty sure that those little late sixties or early seventies Mazda pickups could be made to look good with some cool paintjob, cragars on slim wws and lowered on a rake..

13. rlackey

rlackey

I'm not so sure I belong on this board anymore, maybe I should leave quietly now.

Rich

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I love how people throw the term Jap around so cavalierly, as if it has no racist connotations.

15. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Speaking of Observation's.

That is a very astute one.

Bye

B:cool:B

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Oriental is a design style. The people are Asian.

The bikes posted of any brand are all of a similar style... underground, alternative, whatever... a reaction against the overblown excess of the mainstream chopper crowd; not unlike traditional rodding movement of a few years ago which in turn spawned the rat rod movement, etc. It's only natural that the same folks that pioneered the trad hot rod movement would have a hand in this underground motorcycle style. Hence the jockey journal was born and will soon make it's debut.

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Damn good wording Django! I like people that are edjumacated! ha

18. I was in Bronner's Monday (so i'm PW, like you ain't:D ), Orna-mental maybe, that place is kinda circus meets Stepford Wives scary.

Japanese cars really didn't sell well here in the U.S. until the very late 60's, past the traditional era by about 5 years, and there are plenty of VW sites that cater to them, so we don't even need to go there again.

19. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

I dont like jap bikes. I find nothing "Cool" about them. We'll except for Yamaha Rd's and Kawasaki H1 and H2's. They have balls.
    Jap cars are good for daily commuting.

20. 6sic6

6sic6
    from Spfld, MO

Too many narrow minded assholes on this site. lol. :D
    It's funny how so many of the lil cliques of car guys stick together but, won't embrace any other style.
    I got my ass handed to me when I tried to post my jap car for sale on here. Hey, I was only trying to sell it so I could buy parts for my hotrod??? :D
    Ah, well, it's the nature of the beast... and this site has a lot of beasts ready to shoot their mouth off about things they don't like or accept.

21. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

There are Japanese folks on here... Thought i'd let you know...

22. I parked my 22 year old $1500 Venture next to a group of brand new "American Made V-Twin Water Buffalos" in front of the local coffee shop. One of the guys made a crack about my bike when I walked in. I asked him if he'd like to race for title cards.

It got real quiet in there.

23. daign

daign
    from socal

There's more than a few Datsun enthusiasts onboard. That doesn't mean we discuss them often, but its been known to happen.

24. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Oh sweet mother of ass...

25. Muttley

Muttley

What is going on here today?:confused: :confused:

26. tomslik

tomslik

we got a bunch of thin-skinned people that just don't fucking get "it"

by the way, i DON'T have a god-damn problem with japaneze, i just can't spell it, that's why "jap"

jeez.....
    sure glad i DO know some people with a sense of humor., and it sure ain't you fucks;)

27. maybe its the old outlaw in me, but...JAP BIKES AIN"T COOL ANYWHERE, 'cept maybe japan or europe ,been tried over n over in the past , they never quite get past the wanna be tag,gotta respect the work done but chops n bobs are HARLEY's,Trumps or Beemers ,german BMW's NEVER look right either, was a time when if you showed up at a run w a jap bike it got trashed.:mad: ,to be honest I never liked that ,but I saw it many times over the years :eek: , It all goes back to WWII and enemy bikes were frowned upon and we never got over it. I don't see JAP as racist , now the "N" word or "G" word in reference to orientals is as I see it, Jap is only short for japanese in my book, I talk
    type as i have for years and am not likely to change now for anyone now or ever. :D ,enough on a dumb subject.

28. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I don't particularly like being called a "Yank" or "White" but I don't let it get to me...

What does bother me is STUPID ASSED POSTS...

29. rlackey

rlackey

Nuff said really.

Rich

30. Django

Django
    from Chicago

True. But most people these days don't mind using Japanese electronics or driving a Mitsubishi (remember the Zero?) or driving a BMW (Focke Wolf 190 ring any bells? If not, look long and hard at the BMW logo and tell me what you think it is...)

I'm as die hard a WWII history buff as well... the next WWII history buff. Times are different today. If Chuck Yeager can be good friends with Hans something or other (Luftwaffe ace with 200+ confirmed kills) then it should not be that big a deal for many of us whose PARENTS were not even born until after the war.

Now that I think about it, all my bikes have been AXIS bikes of one marque or another... Japanese and Italian. Nothing German yet. Shit, maybe I should keep my Ducati and get a BMW and I'll have the Axis trifecta in the garage.