Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chev engine ID please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty Deeds, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Dirty Deeds

Dirty Deeds

Hi I have a SB Chev in a 30A coupe I want to confirm if it is a corvette engine or not.
    casting number is 3756519 which I've searched and found it is a 58-61 283 but it's the engine code that's got me baffled it is V152342. All the sites I've visited state there should be a alpha suffix code .

Can anyone decode this for me? Or should I start thinking this engines been decked at someones put there own I'd on it?

Thanks for the help

2. FatFndr

FatFndr

3. Dirty Deeds

Dirty Deeds

Been there done that, spent 3 hours searching but all sites say there should be an alpha suffix?

4. dbradley

dbradley

Some of the early over the counter engines only had the mfg plant "V" = Flint, followed by a partial p/n of the assy. Some times the final number equals year of mfg. Not too exact science in the early years. Don't know if that's what you have, but possible.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the late 50's and early 60's there were more "Corvette" engines in hot rods than the Total number of Corvettes built for those engines. You could walk into any Chevrolet Dealer's parts counter and buy a pair of new cast finned Corvette valve covers for under 30.00. That made an instant Corvette engine in your 57 Chevy tudor or Model A. I helped friends install at least three sets of them when I was in high school.
    If you want to call the engine a Corvette engine call it one as it doesn't really matter one way or the other unless you are restoring a 100% original Corvette.

6. squirrel

squirrel

If you post a close up picture of the stamp, we could tell you if it looks original or not.

If the engine was sold in an "export" car, that might explain the strangeness.

All the old Chevy books for that era show only letters for the engine codes.

7. locorider

locorider

:eek:
    Engine Assembly Plant Codes: Motor Division:
    F - Flint Motor Plant C - Chevrolet passenger car
    K - McKinnon T - Chevrolet truck
    M - GM of Mexico
    S - Signaw Service
    T - Tonawanda Engine Plant
    V - Flint Engine Plant