Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm 42 and been married 20 years with a teenage daughter. I'm not new to the mechanics of cars, but this is going to be a new experience for me. My father passed away 2 years ago and I'm finally going to get started on a Model A Ford pick up he left me, it's a 1930. The trucks a basket case but all the parts are there, incluing the original frame. The body is solid for it's age, more than enough to work with. The frames been butchered in the rear. I'm confident it can be used. I'd like to build a fenderless "rat rod". cheap and nasty. I'd like to do it with the pieces I have or fab. I guess what I mean is I don't want a cookie cutter car ordered from catalogs. The look I'm after is like Milners coupe from American Grafitti only a truck. It seems pretty straight forward, but I'm unfamiliar with this type of HotRod. I've built 4x4s and muscle cars. I've even done a couple 49 and 50 Mercs and have a buddy with a 50 Ford. I'm going to take some time and browse the forums and try to get a feel of the scope of this project. But I know I'm going to need some advice from time to time and the old man ain't here, so bear with me if I ask some "stupid" questions. Thanks and sorry for the long read

2. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Welcome from near Youngstown

3. akustom57

akustom57

Welcome from an hour north of you........:cool:

4. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo

Thanks guys, Probably not going to do much except planning for a while, Just to much going on this summer. Daughter's graduation from high school and getting her ready for college. Got to get the truck out of Mom's garage and into mine. Been stored since 74 when Dad bought it. Got some ideas already just from going through the tech archive here. Was going to go full fendered, but my friend told me PA recently relaxed the inspection laws to allow open wheeled cars on the road just need to find specifics. I want this thing to be a daily driver in the warm months and don't want to be hassled constantly. Probably going to be Chevy powered, either 383 I have from another project or the 454 I just picked up. I want it to look like a traditional 60's rod. Basicly if it don't need it to make it down the road safely and reliably it won't be there. One thing I haven't quite decided is if I should keep the chrome 30 grille shell or go with something else. The original can probably be polished and be good to go. Just not sure I like the "flat" look.

5. akustom57

akustom57

you can run w/o fenders and a hood but it has to be registered as a street rod with street rod plates

6. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo

Akustom57 are there any restrictions, as to hours of driving and such?

7. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo

Wow a little over 5 years and I'm still collecting parts. Well I have most of the major pieces, new good used stock frame, 355 sbc, muncie 4spd and a 59 ford 9 inch with 3.56 gears. gonna start the mock up in a couple weeks and start to fine tune the suspension. I quoted my original intro and would like to retract the word "rat rod". I know now what I will be building is a Hot Rod. I have most of the build in my head down to colors. I'm pretty sure it'll be 55 ford Regency Purple. That was Dad's favorite.

8. twink

twink

Welcome Aboard, From a fellow Pa guy!

9. Welcome aboard the H.A.M.B. from central Iowa!

10. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Welcome, I'm south of you in Irwin Pa . your going to love it here.

11. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Welcome from nearby Maryland............

Now prepare to be addicted.

12. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Hey Mojo, There are some good shows you may want to attend coming up not that far away that will give you some guidance since you are still in the design / thought stage.
    1)Labor day weekend in Cumberland MD. (Fri-Sun 9/2-4) Western Maryland street Rod Roundup...I know Sir Woosh will be there along with a dozen or so Hamb members.
    2) The weekend after that is the Steeltown Shakedown at Twin Hiways Drive in in Crafton (Robinson Twp)....you'll find out what "traditional" is all about at that show....again, you'll meet at least 25 Hamb members there.
    30 If you are looking for parts yet you may find some the following weekend at Canfield (OH)....about 65 miles from Pgh the weekend of 17th-18th.
    I will be at all 3 of these events vending. I don;t sell parts, I sell car movies but know alot of people that are good people and can help you out when you go to build it.

13. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

You got that right BigBob, I'll be at the Round up for sure.....

But throwing me out in your post makes it look like you don't care at all who you associate with........lol

Hope to see you and new friends there too!

14. Any pics of the Mercs you have done?

15. 48James

48James

Welcome, from Hookstown!

16. welcome to the hamb

17. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Welcome from Ga

Grommet

18. weirdrum

weirdrum

Welcome from Eagles territory :D