Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects father+son 62 falcon project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Navigator 23, May 29, 2011.

1. Deadbird

Deadbird

The results of two afternoons of elbow grease and polishing compound are astounding! It may seem backwards to polish before the car hits the road, but it's something Jesse can tackle on his own and he's doing great work. We'll start digging into the mechanics after we get back from vacation.

Stay tuned boys and girls. :D

2. indianhead74

indianhead74

Jesse. I'm stoked about your project. After you get done with my lunchbox I have a fridge for you to stripe. Steve

3. [​IMG]
    That section shouldn't be too hard to match. That area has the perfect contours so that would be all you would need to paint instead of the whole fender. That would get you by for the meantime.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool! Good to see another going together here. I have been cooking along on the girlfriends '62 wagon off and on since Janurary, and have owned my '62 sportsroof car since I was 17 in '82. Hoping to finally start the wagon for the first time later this week. 200/C4 combo, lowered a bit with 14X6 tru spokes and narrow whites all around. Disc brakes from Scarebird too... Girls car, can't be too safe! Wish you guys were a bit closer, I wouldn't mind grabbing that A/C...

5. indianhead74

indianhead74

Keep it up you guys, Jesse we're proud of ya,Dad, Remember when we cut up the '69 Camaro for the roof! Took it to Isaac's in your Toyota Pickup! Man, that car was so saveable. See Ya, Steve

6. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Chevy freaks = :eek::eek::eek:

7. Deadbird

Deadbird

Thanks for the comments guys. This should be a productive week on the Falcon. Jesse has a whole week to spend in the garage. Let's see what he does with his time. The engine does turn. With any luck we'll be able to put in a battery and crank it by the end of the week.

Bomb - I love that avatar. We can't have nice things either for the exact same reason! :eek:

Need Louvers - Do you have some pics of your projects? That AC should be out this week. Jesse's looking to deal.

Steve & Scarebird - Yeah that Camaro was ratty. Who would have thought it would fit in that little truck? These days sicker dogs are getting a second chance though. Camaro freaks would have a fit now. Heck, I even know where there are at least half a dozen 67 - 68 Camaros buried in a back yard. I still have the "historical document" for that machine. I wonder if it's worth anything. :rolleyes:

8. Navigator 23

Navigator 23

I have been busy on the Falcon for the past couple days. So far everything has been running incredibly smoothly compared to the volkswagon. Hopefully by the end of this week the engine turns itself over without the help of a wrench:D But for today I decided it was time to pull the A/C out. Little did I know it would leave my car with a half empty engine compartment and no teeth. Here are some of the pictures from that:

Attached Files:

9. Navigator 23

Navigator 23

Today I also pulled out the back seat to clean that out and to start attacking the floors with a wire brush and some help from the KBS floor kit. When I pulled the seat out I found a lot more than when we pulled the front seat out. First there was a giant mouse house. But then I found the really cool "treasures." Three Topps baseball cards from the 1967 Houston Astros. Anyone ever heard of Wade Blasingame?

Attached Files:

10. Navigator 23

Navigator 23

Today we finished up the last of the rewiring. Also I made the first actual fabricated part. It was a battery tray and stand, and even got to use the family milling machine (a file and drill press) to put some square bolt holes. All of the store trays were big bulky and ugly. We also bought a new horn relay and voltage regulator. Unfortunatley, the starter solenoid is shot so he didn't turn over yet. But the lights turned on the horn worked so I'm fairly certain that the rest of the wiring is all good. I also painted the fan and the first of the wheels.

Attached Files:

11. Navigator 23

Navigator 23

fresh paint and wiring. Just used a skotch bright pad and some polishing compound on the engine compartment and it turned out alright, after I finish up the firewall it should look a lot better. Seems to be the way anything on this car cleans up.:D

Attached Files:

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool man, Go!

Wish it wasn't so hot here, 'cause it seriuosly reduces the hours in the day to work... And those seem to be filled with customer projects! Slowly but shurely though I get more done on her car.('62 wagon) Your dad suggested I post a picture of hers, and I have posted this on several other Falcon related threads, but here goes. Ours too has been a more "clean it up" than "restore" it kinda deal. I have to learn how to load pictures on my new computer, because I have a great series of pictures of her putting the engine and trans herself.

Attached Files:

13. Deadbird

Deadbird

Love that wagon! Nice touch with the gold and red on the engine.

We may wish we had yanked our engine by the time we're done.

14. 62futura

62futura
    from Colorado

Brings back memories, It was 12 years ago I started my 62 2dr falcon futura project and now I am onto redoing it again this time kind of a gasser look. I will start a build thread soon. I also drive a 61 falcon ranchero everyday and when I was your age I also drove a 61 falcon ranchero ( not the same one though). I have owned and retsored three of these cars so if you have any ?'s just ask. Bet nobody else at your school will have the same kind of car!!

15. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Cool project, ilove the falcons, what is the plan with the motor? Is it coming out or just cleaning and painting in place? Have fun and keep updating. Suscribing

16. Navigator 23

Navigator 23

Well I still hope the engine doesnt have to be pulled out at all, and it's looking more and more like we wont have to do that! Today the Falcon turning himself over only using a key! Everything sounded healthy (no clanks or bad starter sounds) so it shouldnt be to hard to get him running soon. Fingers crossed.

17. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

Looks like you have the making of a great car,I like Falcons too!
    Here's mine.

18. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

Oops,had to resize

Attached Files:

19. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

congradulations on your project, the two of you will have the memories forever to fall back on .

20. Deadbird

Deadbird

Visited the DMV this morning and offered my penance to the Secretary of State. Now we wait for the paperwork to clear for the bonded title. I'm sure it will just be a week or two. :rolleyes:

Oh wait, this is Illinois. :eek: Better give it a couple of months.

21. Deadbird

Deadbird

As the saying goes, like father like son. I'm afraid neither one of us is very good about keeping a build thread active. Anyway, I thought I'd post a few pics of Jesse's Falcon project since the interior is about as done as it's going to get. We think it turned out pretty fantastic! Thanks to our good friend Scott (Bucket Dream on the HAMB) for stitching up the traditional tuck and roll. As you can see, the exterior stays pretty much as is. But man, check out that interior!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I took that first picture he's dropped the nose a few inches and put the stock grill back in. Plans include a custom grill, bumper and rolled pan. Hopefully in time for the Rust Revival. Otherwise it will make the trip as is.

Not too shabby for a first car, huh?

22. Veach

Veach

Nice work love the little Birds

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn that looks good! I have had the Wagon on the road now since November and I'm somewhere up to about 7000 miles on it since. The way it has shaken out is I have put about 6996 of those miles on and she has only done about 4... It's mine at this point!

I sure do envy your vinyl interior. I wish I could get away with that here, but I'd die in the summer time. Ever sat on a vinyl seat when it's 120 degrees out? Not fun for sure! i'd sure like to see a current shot with the nose dropped a bit too! I need some inspiration for my nephew who should be soon embarking on the same voyage of crazyness we have all been through putting one of these together.