Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What was the craziest car deal you made?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyhood, Jan 6, 2010.

1. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

In 1994 I Bought a '69 Fairlane 2 dr for $300 bucks. Drove it for a summer. Traded the Fairlane for a '65 Country Sedan Wagon. Drove it for a year, and finally traded the wagon for a running driving '66 Fairlane GTA Convertible that needed paint.

Once I bought a '62 T-bird at the Portland Swap meet for $650 bucks, and while driving it back to my vendor spot sold it for $1500. So i actually only owned the car for about 5 minutes.

2. My best deal - In 1979 I bought a 1970 Dodge Charger from the proverbial little old lady for $1200. She had a stroke and hadn't driven it in years and "the headlights don't work". It was a base model, bench seat, radio delete, olive green, dog-dish hubcaps model with a 318, 2bbl., torqueflight and 18,000 miles. I tossed the non-functional headlight doors and drove it for years. Ran like a bat outta hell. Sold it in 1986 to get a comparable, low milage, '76 280z from another little old lady.

3. This one was my dad's not mine, but I was there and witnessed it. (happened around 1998 or so)

He called me up to tell me that he found a basket case 40 Ford coupe for $3000, so I met him at this guy's house in San Antonio and we find a rust free, 40 coupe in primer, completely torn apart in a million boxes, sitting on a modified frame with disc brakes and a lowered front axle.....all the tires flat....a ton of dust and dirt all over it.

The guy was not really that much of a car guy. He tore the car apart and had paid to have the chassis modified and then lost interest.

My dad talked him down to $2800 and after we loaded it on the trailer, we started hauling boxes out of this dude's garage. However, it wasn't until we started the massive box haul that we also realized that there was also a TON of 1-800 type stuff, brand-new, in unopened boxes...a gauge set, just about all of the stainless that Drake sells for a 40 (including a Drake grill), all kinds of Lokar stuff, a Painless wiring harness, and on and on.

Dad and I got the 40 on the road in about 9 months. He did everything except the paint. He drove it for a while and I took it on a few trips across Texas before he sold it for $23,000 to a guy who got it painted and took in on the Power Tour 3 times.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. i bought a 65 impala ss convertible 409 4spd and a 57 chevy sedan delivery for $1000 for the pair. also i bought a 61 belair bubbletop never unloaded from the trailer and sold it a few days later for a handsome profit, bought it back a few years later for a lot less than i sold it for, did some work to it and sold it again for a profit.

5. hemibird43

hemibird43

i traded a car stereo for a 1970 R/t charger. 440 ran ok had it for about ten years and sold it, i traded my foosball table for a 69 GTX 440 4spd, i got wiped out by of all things a fork lift.

6. ironpile

ironpile

Traded a tv for a 72 chrysler,had nothing in the tv.Picked up a nice 66 Fury that was abandoned. completed Az abandoned vehicle procedure at a total cost of $9. Had a 73 Chevelle given to me ,drove it home pulled the engine the same day and had it setting in my 48 Ford 1/2 ton that nite.It was drivable in 2 days.

7. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I pulled into a gas station in a 59 Bird... the attendant ran out and asked if it was for sale... I replied, no, unless I could find a nice 57 Ford Country Sedan... he retorted back, we have one in here all the time... I guess my body language said it all... he said, you don't believe me... then told me to wait til he took care of a customer and he would prove it... I waited, then he pulls out this index card box and shows a maintaince card for the wagon... I was amazed, then he wasn't going to give me the customers info... I told him - don't give it to me, just take care of another customer and I help myself... he did... I called and it was a one owner, garage kept, undercoated, CA car since new... but he had just sold it... I literally begged for the buyers number... called the new owner and he was willing to sell... great, went and looked at it a he told me he hit a post and the wrap around bumper had damaged the fender but he had fixed it... I looked it over and replied - you did more damage than the accident... I guess he was proud of his sledge hammer repair and abruptly told me get off his property and if I showed up again he would call the police...

with my dream car yanked from my grasp... I thought, it isn't the only car in the world and the next week bought a thirty thousand mile one owner, garage kept 64 Ford convertable... and all I could still think about was the wagon... well I had asked a non-car buddy to go to a cruise-in... we had a great time and on the way back he asked if I would sell the 64... before I could say anything my ex said yes... and, I agreed, but he may not like the terms... I told him he had to show up with the 57 wagon and we would cash out the differance... he thought I wasn't serious... but I told him that was the only way he could have the 64... when he showed up with the wagon he said the guy asked if he knew me which he knew better than to say yes... he said the guy ranted for ten minutes about how I was never going to own that car... wrong... I've had it since 86 and I have no plans on it leaving my possesion in the future

8. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

I was working at a car dealership back in the seventies, and there was these three guys in the military that were traveling from a base in Colorado to another base in San Antonio.

They were driving a '68 Volkswagen bug that had just had the engine rebuilt in Colorado. The timing had a little to much lead in it and they burned a hole in the number 3 piston the size of a golf ball and it was pumping oil like a son of a bitch. Made a big mess.

The three dudes had been drinkin the whole trip and were drunk as shit, and pissed off at that car. The guy that owned it sold it to me for 300 bucks. They didn't want to fuck with it anymore. It was a clean car. They took all their shit out of it except 2 cases of Olyimpia beer. They gave me the beer if I would take them to the bus station. They were already supposed to be in San Antonio.

I pulled the motor out of the car that night, pulled the left head off, replaced one piston and cylinder, flushed out the case and had the thing running by midnight.

I sold the car the next day.

9. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

bought a complete 61 lincoln continental- no rust, 30000 orig miles for $500, it had a few extra parts too- 8 loaded doors( 2 matching sets), about 3 cars worth of stainless trim, glass, hinges ,interior parts, hubcaps, etc. it took the dually and the trailer i took to get the car just for the parts, had to call a towtruck for the car. sold the parts i didnt need as a lot for $500, got the motor running and sold the motor trans for $300 and got a running 390/c6 to put in it for free.... i miss that car

10. jcur

jcur
    from Arkansas

In 1964, I bought a 58 VW bug with slight body damage from a neighbor for $22.65. I had gotten him down from $40 to $25. I was 14 and could only raise the $22.65 by selling some old batteries and some refund bottles. I told him that's all I could get. He took it. I took the bent rear bumper off and sort of straightened the hood and replaced the gernerator pulley.

Three weeks later I traded the VW even up for a 55 Ford Convertible that was in great shape only needed a headlight switch. The kid I traded with was going off to college and wanted "something economical".

For nearly 50 years I've tried to better or duplicate those deals, accounting for inflation. I've resigned myself to the belief that they were "once in a lifetime".

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  11. 70442

80 bucks and an old CB for a 69 roadrunner 383, 4spd

12. Bought this last Wednesday morning @ 10 am 325 miles away, got home and was too tired to unload it after driven 650 miles, so left it on the trailer.
    Next morning go out to unload it and a guy pulls down the driveway, gets outta his truck and says "is it for sale?" Of course I say "Could be"
    He looks it over and asks "How much?"
    I double what I payed for it and told him.
    He say's "Bring it down to my trucking yard in 30 minutes, I gotta go to the bank and get the cash"
    30 minutes later I've gotta pocket full of cash and I unload it.

Attached Files:

13. Bought a 83,000 mile all original solid 63 Galaxie 2 door hardtop (square top) for $100. Old lady died and her daughter just wanted it gone, said $100 bucks so I drove it home and drove it a couple of years before selling it. Kinda regret that too cause it drove like a new car.

14. cheviac

cheviac
    from new jersey

I was going to Vocational school in new jersey when an adult tech (guy in his early 20s with a job) asked me and a buddy if we were interested in his old chevy. It was a 1954 2 door hardtop in damn good shape. Neither one of us had a license to drive but what the hell. We asked how much and he said 15.00. Needless to say we took it and drove most of our junior year. I wished to hell I had it now. Steve

15. I had lots of "broken car" deals in the past.

Got a '65 C30 Chevy truck for $200, nice body, smoky motor and the owner said the transmission was shot. This was the old SM420. I got it home, crawled under it, all of the transmission bolts were loose. Tightened them up, I could shift it with 1 finger.

My brother was famous for finding cheap cars. We were always looking for motors for our trucks or stock cars. Up the street.. a '67 Belair with a dead miss. he offers the guy $50 on the spot and gets the car. Goes home, listens to it, pops off a valve cover and there's the broken rocker arm.

Another time he gets a '68 Impala SS for the usual price, $50. Owner says the engine is seized. Put it on the tow truck, get it home. Still on the tow bar, he tells me to try to start it while he raps the starter with a BFH... the starter drive was jammed in the flywheel. He wound up eplacing the starter and flex plate and it ran strong.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  16. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

Traded three electromechanical pinballs for a 1936 ford pickup

17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Around 78 I was helping a friend finish up his 24 Dodge coupe, when the guy across the street strolled over, in a very good mood for the first time in 6 months. We start laughing, why are you so happy? I'm getting divorced! he says, has another swig of his cold one. He says hey, you want another 62 Ford? OK, whatcha got? Over to his garage, and there is a 62 Sunliner ragtop, 500 trim, white with the red, white & black interior, straight and solid. OK, how much? He says if you can get it out of here before the bitch gets home, $25. What's wrong with it? Nothing, here's the keys- and it started right up, 352 with duals sounded like an old boat. Handed him $25, got the pink and gone in 10 minutes- had 5 honeys in Daisy Dukes cruising around in it with me that night :D

18. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

1969 bought my first 51 Henry j $100 bucks. Rust free and I drove it home!
    1980's Bought 5 392 Hemi's including the Blown one in my present Henry j $2500 bucks
    1980's 1958 caddy 2dr HT. $200
    ? 1930 2dr sedan body. $500

19. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

In 1994 a friend and I went out for a beer. My friend starts talking to some old guy he knew at the bar. I was minding my own business when the old guy says he had this old 57 chevy truck for sale. He goes on how he was going to make it a show truck and all.

Of course I had been looking for a 55-57 chevy truck and started asking questions (short bed, big back window etc) but he doesn't know much about it. He took the truck on a debt that was owed to him.

I ask him if I can come by his place and look at it. He tells me where it is stored (some house across town). I go and look at it and sure enough it is a short bed, with big back window.

I call him that evening and settle on a price of $1,100. He tells me to come to his apartment and bring a truck to haul the boxes of parts. He signs the pink slip over to me and we head out to get the boxes of parts from his storage locker. He had 3-4 large boxes of newly chromed parts.

I figured there was about $600 worth of chrome plus I sold the new edelbrock intake for $120.

That Saturday AM I arrange for another buddy and a tow truck to haul the 57 home. Driving home at 8am on the expressway I heard a big crash bang. Apparently a housekeeper / maid was driving the other way and fell asleep and just missed the tow truck and my 57 by a few feet. She crashed into a parking lot. She was okay.

The 57 truck has been finished and running for years now.

20. This is back in 1975 or so. I was selling '65-68 Impala & Belair parts and doing quite well with it. I'd buy almost any parts car I saw. This is back in the day of The Selling Post (local NYC area buy & sell magazine.. also had personals, hooked up with a couple of cuties from there...). There was no internets and no way I'd pay for an ad.

I came across a '66 Impala SS convertible by the side of the road with a broken idler arm. I knew a local cop so I asked him to run the plates and find the owner. I then call her and make a deal and we were to meet where the car was. Got there about 2 steps ahead of the local impound tow truck. For $25 it was mine and I brought some tools and a spare idler arm I had.

The 283 went into my C30 Chevy, the transmission to someone local. The rest of the car went in parts, figure I made about $1000 on it before it was ready for scrap. It had a new soft top and the interior was a bit beat up, but all there.

Bob

21. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Hi! I bought a 70's Rockola jukebox really cheap, 250$, then I trade for a REALY(!!) bad rusty 32ford tudor body, this body had been grinded down and burried, digged up and some little weld here and there! The body needed ALL replaced....had it for a year and then Trade it for a hotrod project, built it ready for road, I drove it for two years, then took a long shot, and made the best deal ever, Trade it for a chevy 55 bel air 2dr post!! Thats was my crazy story ;)

22. dos zetas

dos zetas

Back in the 70s in Oakland I got to talking to a gospel hillbilly preacher about his 46 Ford half ton pickup. He needed my Dobro to do the Lord's work and I traded even up, filled the truck with my tools, said "Hop in Boy" to my doggo, and drove to Minneapolis at 50 MPH.
    What a good truck!

23. Tudorp

Tudorp

years ago, (early 1990's) I worked at compaq computers and also used to build my own computers, and built one for a guy for a 37 Ford fordor sedan (humpback). Unrestored, but it was complete and ran. I had about $500 in parts to build him a computer.

24. 2010 - '92 Z28 ROLLER - $45.00

2013 - '56 Olds 98 TWO DOOR HARDTOP (Roller) - $200.00

2013 - Full blown mint DONE '89 Lincoln LOW RIDER - $1,000

I have been f***ed over on more cars though than I have gotten deals:eek:

25. ned5049

ned5049

In 1971 we needed a Plymouth 318 Poly to replace one we had with 2 spun bearings from racing it A neighbor kid was there listening and went looking on his bike. Came back grinning. He found a 60 Plymouth 4 door parked next to a garage and found the owner. The guy asked him how much he had on him and the kid said '7 bucks'. Sold! 40k miles with a 3 speed and 3.55 rear. Used that engine for years til we sold it. Fun days!

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

First car in 1978. 1973 Pontiac Lemans 2dr mint condition. 350 Pontiac block and less than 40,000 miles showing. Owned by an old lady and her son was selling it for her. My dad had coached me the night before on how to barter. Well, the son asked if $1,000 was too much. I began to speak and my dad told me to shut up and handed the man my money.

Drove it for 5 years and finally gave it to my brother.

27. 1964 RHD Chevy in the paper, I read it at 4 A.M., rang the guy at 6, he says 'motor,s stuffed". I get there and got it for $100, and the guy says 'you,ll have to get a tow now". I tried starting it , but no sspark,and found it had a CDI aftermarket ignition on it. Pulled the wires, turned it back to normal points ignition, started it and reversed out the driveway and out to the street.
    The guy looks out the window, his eyes open wide, I had to park it a couple of streets away, lock it and get a lift back to pick it up. In those days anyone would have made him an offer of over a thousand bucks, so I wanted to leave the "scene of the crime" quick.

28. ned5049

ned5049

In 75 bought a 68 Roadrunner 383 4 spd 'used car' on the back row of a Ford dealership. Had a skip. Fouled plug. That car was a strong runner !!

29. Tudorp

Tudorp

Another one, in 1979, I was a young Airman in the Air Force. Saw a freaking beautiful 1949 (1st series) P15 Plymouth coupe sitting on the side of the road. Being young, and poor, scrapped up $600 and got in touch with the old guy that had it. He wanted $1200 for it. Probably well worth it back then, with the condition it was in, and ran and drove like new. Got the guy on a good day for me, bad for him day because he had restored it for his grand son who just got his license. When he presented it to his grand son, his grand son said, "what is THIS old thing? I wanted a Trans Am!!!". Pissed the old guy off, and he was still mad about it when I talked to him. I was only 18 myself and he liked the fact that a young guy appreciated it. He saw I was bumming because I couldn't afford $1200, and told him all I had was $600. He said to me, "I like that you love the car. I fixed it up to give it away anyway, so it's yours for your $600.. ". I was like a little school girl getting her 1st kiss.. Loved that coupe, and drove the crap out of it with pride..

30. _sir_charles_of_reno

_sir_charles_of_reno

Bought a '69 Cougar that had a rebuilt 5.0 and t5 in it for 1600... Dropped a new starter in and drove it away. That was in October, paints almost done and it's ready for summer.