Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ever had a throw down with your best friend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grits, Aug 16, 2011.

1. I got a friend that has Pie in the sky dreams, drives me nuts. I've brrn trying to get him goinf on his project for near 5 years now.

President US Chapters Goldchainers C C
    Dallas, Texas Chapter

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  2. Tell him to do it himself.

3. just don't interduce him to me....have enough of my own issues....:eek:

4. hemibird43

hemibird43

i think you are asking all the wrong people, we have no attachment to your friendship, if you take advise on this one from us, i have to ask how good of a friend are you, just talk to the guy, we all have dreams and at times that's all they will ever be,but thats no reason to throw your friendship out the window, jmho.
    i have my own story to back this up , but another time another thread.
    you will figure it out, and do what is best for everyone.
    good luck.

5. BCR

BCR

Reality bites!

6. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Try to talk logic & facts, ones he can personally relate to. If that doesn't work, just smile & back away. You cant fix stupid, the most you can do is try to avoid it happening.

At the end of the day, we all have our ideas, and dreams and crazy ambitions. Quite often they dont perfectly line up with that of friends, you just have to work with that as best as you can. If its worth it I mean....

But it can be very frustrating at times I know.... very very frustrating. At the end of the day I just let people do their own thing, and learn from their experience. Its not worth it fighting over the small details. But what Small is; is a very personal thing, so you'd best be the judge of that.

7. d100hemi

d100hemi
    from washington

thats true graham every body tells me to junck my ford rear end and model a front axel and t-10 4sp and the other stuff im putting togather to build me a bucket roadster.but i wont let them go all i need is a frame and bucket body lol my dream is running again lol.let your freind hold on to his dream thats what keeps us going in the long run.

8. One Finger John

One Finger John

Geez, I thought you got into a fist fight or something. First off, don't do anything you don't want to do. You won't be happy while you're doin' it. If he is a true friend you can tell him to make up his mind. You can't tell him to give up his dreams. Be kind. Be understanding. Be yourself. It'll work itself out.

9. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Firends don't let friends waste time and money on dead end shit. Tell it like it is.

10. HotRod33

HotRod33

Will he ever really get it done......? If not tell him he's just wasting time and help him find something else... I have 2 of my sister's projects at my house, a 48 ford pickup that has been sitting outside wasting away for eight years and a glass bodied 32 coupe that she bought as a running driving car and took apart in 1998 to paint it. August 1st I gave her written notice , I told her she has until september 30th to remove them. yes she is mad but she is never going to finish them and won't sell them to me so they need to go......

11. RichG

RichG

I had words with a friend of mine, a very good friend.

They're the last words we've spoken in 22 years. I miss him.

Take it for what it's worth.

12. Weasel

Weasel

Is he on the HAMB? If not, maybe you should introduce him to this wonderful world - we'll edjumacate him real quick....;)

13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hey some people just wont listen to reason. I got a buddy here who gets advise from everyone he knows. Listens to the advise he wants to that sounds good to him and ignores the advise of those who have been there and done that. Some people have to just learn from their mistakes like I did.

14. Yep, that's what I'm dealing with here, just wish he'd stick to it.
    I should say he has offered me to do the work but just won't make up his mind:mad:

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Good Friends are hard to come by
    we all have different deams , and asperations.
    Maybe finding a common ground to work within, im sure this will involve compromise., and maybe a bunch of over looking personal differences.
    I know it can be tuff, but sometimes you just have to let them find out on their own what it takes to do it the way they want ,and allow them to learn what you were trying to teach them.
    I guess it all comes down to how much you value this friendship, and what your willing to step asside on

one thing i have learned..if they ask for advise and than dont take it, to the point that it agrivates the person giving the advise..than stop giving the advise

16. Sounds like a friend of mine. Big ideas but won't stay on track. I've sort of given up on him not as a friend but car related anyway.

17. Well said Randy, he's been a good friend and I don't want to sever ties with him, just would like to ring his neck half the time:eek:

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I can relate..

It aint me is it...:eek:..if it is ..I'll ring my neck for ya:D

one thing i can say is, I miss some of my friends that had the same type of interests, most have had families, and Jobs that forced them out of the area. I dont get to see them much anymore, so I have become somewhat of a lone wolf. we still talk, and every now and then we meet up for lies and beer, But it just aint the same as it was when we lived closer to each other

19. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I thing most of have friends or relatives like that. But differences keep life interesting.

20. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

If you take this route, get advance money. When that money runs out, work stops until another advance shows.
    Take photos, and video tape your work for future debates.
    account for each cent spent.

21. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Grits... ive seen it before when someone lacks the skill or is outside their normal comfort zone building they get that way... or their heart just aint in the build... sometimes you gota agree to disagree... and it might be one of those never finished projects or one of the ones thats for sale in a few yrs.... so close but far away.. give your bud a break... remember your friends and they are like family sometimes... piss ya smooth the freak off and ya still are cool. Just tell him that you would like to see him finish 1 day... and if he doesnt so be it... then call him a puss right afterwards...

22. Hey Gary, maybe it's time to step back for awhile. Still have the friendship, but remove the cars and questions. I know it's easier said then done, but until he shits or gets off the pot you won't even talk cars with him.

23. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I have a friend that used this on me, after I asked his opinion...now I use it on people all the time:
    " Do what you wanna do, its what you're gonna do anyway"
    Sometimes its good for a laugh...sometimes people get mad.YMMV

24. Gator

Gator

I have a couple of friends like that, it's frustrating. I've learned who I can help and and who's wasting my time. Seems like some guys some guys get in WAY over their heads, and some actually prefer their projects torn apart or half done so they can have those 'pie in the sky' dreams' about how much it'll be worth or how good it will be when it's done.

Lotta guys do that, ask different people the same questions till they get the answers they want.

25. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Just wait it out, If he keeps changing his mind eventually he will probably change his mind again and decide to get rid of the project thtas caused him so much "headache". Then you'll be really irritated, either that or you'll get a new project out of the deal. My dads one of those guys who wants everything perfect right outta the gate. Its been 25 years since he driven his 65 GTO...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  26. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

If he's a good friend...a proven friend; cut him a lot of slack. They're hard to come by.

27. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I think you'll just have to wait this one out, and let your friend work himself out of his funk.

In the meantime, I would try not to make his problem yours.

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I came close to it, and I mean REAL close one night but one thing held me back.
    At that time he was the Australian Kick Boxing Champion.
    So I let the 'issue' go............

Doc.

29. badshifter

badshifter

I think we have the same friend. He's been "building" a RPU as long as I've known him. I've narrowed rear ends, welded frame rails, set up chassis jigs/tables and heard COUNTLESS stories on how it's going to be. His tire and wheel combinations have gone in and out of style at least twice just sitting in his shed. The new engine is practically rusted to the engine stand. And to this day it's all piles of rotting parts. And he's still collecting.
    Let him dream/speculate/talk/do nothing.

If he's like my friend, they are next to impossible to come by these days. He'd do anything for me and my family. He's a wealth of knowledge. He's a part of everyones projects but his own.
    He dreams out loud, and it makes him happy. And that is way more important than any build.

30. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

just nod your head and politely say yep or nope. sometimes we just need to nod our heads and carry on...no matter how often they make us want to strangle them.