Register now to get rid of these ads!

working with a pacemaker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemibird43, Aug 16, 2011.

1. hemibird43

hemibird43

i have a Question, so what do you do if you have a pacemaker, but you still want to enjoy this hobby, i have heard that if you want to weld ! not a good idea, but to reduce the risk you should tie the cables together , that way you dont get yourself, caught in the electric field, but then what do you do if you need to time your Eng. ? you should not operate a timing light or even get close to the distributor.
    So what have you done to reduce DEATH !

2. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

I had a pacemaker for 22 years, I've been an iron worker/welder, and owned my hot rod shop, welding and enjoying the hobby every day. The only thing I can tell you is to stay away from huge magnets, thats about all that will mess it up. From my experience anyways

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Do a search, as there was a thread earlier this year that discussed this. It also depends what type of pacemaker you have & why you have it. Does it constantly pace, & so forth. If it doesn't constantly pace, most likely you can weld with some precautions. Most importantly check with your doctor & the pacemaker manufacturer.

4. hemibird43

hemibird43

thanks, i have staying away from welding etc. my Dr. said don't do it, but then most Dr's dont play with cars and they just don't understand the passion, but then i don't claim to know all about my heart, i have had my pacemaker for around 13 yrs now and i just get tired of waiting for my friends to come over and do something that i can do myself, but a tad bit worried.

5. hemibird43

hemibird43

i actually did a search before posting this, i must have missed something.
    thanks, and mine does pace pretty much all the time about 98% OF THE TIME.

6. yardgoat

yardgoat

X2 Wishing you all the luck in the world man,taking care of you will make your hobby last longer.Iknow you know or you wouldnt ask.Maybe they have a lead vest that might help you and make loved ones feel better..............good luck.........................YG:)

7. hemibird43

hemibird43

i never thought of that, lead vest, i hope i remember to take it off before i jump in the pool to cool off.

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The pacemaker constantly checks for an electrical signal from your heart. If it doesn't get a signal it will pace. If you are welding or near something with an electrical field, your pacemaker will pick up that signal as it doesn't know the difference of where the signal comes from. So it may not pace when you need it to. In your case I would not chance it.
    I have a single chamber, that very rarely paces, so I was told I can weld (and I do weld), just stop if I feel faint. But my situation is different.

9. deuce32

deuce32

I have had a pace maker since 2002 i have had no problems with it i was told
    not to get around magnets or running altenator, i wield do just about anything.

10. kisam

kisam

Welding has not bothered mine. I just keep the cables away from my body. Older electrical tools will get me pacing if I have them close to your heart. But I found out last week - do not get on an amusement park kiddy ride. I was too sick to go back and see if they had warning signs.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My best friend was told not only no to welding but Hell No by his doctor. I would think it was on a case by case basis and fully dependent on the particular pacemaker you have.

12. It's all about liability and money. I don't know if anyone really knows the answer or will admit it, if they do. If the doctor and the manufacturer tell you not to weld, it's to cover their asses in case you drop dead in the shop for any reason. "We told him not to weld, get near magnets, magnetic fields, alternators, generators, cell phones, Accu Jacs, and to wear a foil hat."

13. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

Be safe and take up gas welding.

14. nevrdun

nevrdun
    from lombard,il

I've had a pacer since March of this year. I am totally dependent of this thing to keepm my heart beating. Before it was inserted, I spoke with the cardioligist and explained that I do ALOT of Tig,Mig and Plasma cutting. He said call the pacemaker manufactuer,St Jude and ask them. According to St jude , as long as I stay below 400 amps of power I should be okay. They also worked with the doctor and programed my unit such that it is not as suseptable to outside interference. I have welded Tig many times since I had it done with no problems.
    They are constantly improving these things over the years. They even have a model now that the wearer can have a partial MRI. A few years ago that was totally impossible.
    I would say talk to the doctor and manufacturer and tell them your concerns. It may not be as bad as you think. With this pacer I feel 5 years younger.

Norm

15. hemibird43

hemibird43

thank you all for the info, i also feel so much better, in the last few years, i have lost 225lbs, rec. a new hip, and the latest model pace maker, now i am having a great time working on all my projects. i will be talking to my Dr. and see what he says.
    thanks again.

16. jay7262

jay7262

congrats on the loss of the weight, that alone should make you feel better, and more energetic

17. There is lots of talk and information on the Miller Welds forum, and the Hobart forum on the subject, TR :D