Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What was your favorite full fendered, A RPU?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Aug 15, 2011.

1. racemad55

racemad55

I think the blue beetle was patterned after Deans r.p.u. IMO, For sure my favorite,a close second was a local 29' built by Rolling bones Ken Schmidt's late brother Jim. Bright orange with chrome reverse wheels,babymoons,chrome running boards &rollbar.S.B.C. powered with early driveline. sorry no pics.

2. agshelby

agshelby

My friend Cal's - photo from 1958. He still has the truck

[​IMG]

falcongeorge likes this.
  3. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I don't have a pic handy, but there was an RPU that was quite a bit like Lowes, but it was a medium candy blue (I think). Kidney bean Hals, white headers...bitchin'. I tried but couldn't find the thread about it on here.

The ones Louver-Chip posted up are some of my favorites too.

4. They all have different looks but can't say one is better than the other...just different. I like them all.

5. i got to see Dean's rpu a few months back and its still as cool as hell, just needs to be back on the street

6. Pretty fond of Dean's as well, and mine too (4th of July parade this year)
    [​IMG]

7. Then boot Mr.Hill in the butt and tell him to get it done!! ;)

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Betcha mean this one...

Attached Files:

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Dean,
    Since you know the owner of this car, do you know the secret of how this flat head is set up? I'm guessing 180 degree crank, or possibly 180 degree headers? I'd love to know! Like I said, it comes in to L.A.R.S. every year, and I try not to, but I end up following it just to hear it... and I don't even like flat heads!

10. Great thread.

I'd love to see some more pics of improved A (30/31) fully fendered RPU's. :)

11. bobscogin

bobscogin

Dean Lowe's truck (first version with the whitewalls) defines the '28-'29 roadster pickup. I'm just getting around to building one like his about 5 decades after seeing it in Hot Rod.

Bob

12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yep...that's the one! I was thinking Tommy Outlaw?! That can't be right? hahahaa

Thanks Chip!

13. deuce32

deuce32

Mine a 32 roaster pickup iam in the the prosive of building one

Johnny

14. I have not seen Tom in about 6 years. I'm not into flatheads either, so I have no clue what's in it. Tom is a really nice guy. Next time you see him in the truck, ask him!

15. bondolero

bondolero

I have always liked the look of Dave Dias' 29 with 31 fenders. Last photo I have was 95, does anyone in the Calif. area know its whereabouts ??
    IMO Dean's truck is the most well known of all rpu's, period.
    I would love to build one if my fat ass would even start to fit in one ( 6ft., 240 lbs) Maybe have to be a extended cab.:D

Larry

16. This one belongs to a friend...nice and it could be for sale for the right $$. It has a Pinto engine...the rest is original.

Murph

Attached Files:

17. this is a cool thread that died early....what about some current builds as well?

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Let me run out in the shop and mock up some fenders on my heap...

19. anteek

anteek

Daen Lowes is # 1,with ANY wheels or setting on concrete blocks. I grew up drooling over it and a black one with a caddy that also graced HRM.

20. Mine was done in the late 70's early 80's. Style changed from hot rod to street rod by then thou

Attached Files:

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

cant believe this thread has gone 3 pages without anyone posting pics of Bob Lopez' car. Absolutely perfect stance, and a solid lifter 283. Whats not to love?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Is that the one that was in the early sixties Popular Hot Rod magazines with the diamond tuck interior? If not I'll have to dig it up...

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not sure, but probably. The car has a deep tuft diamond tuck interior. Post it anyway, cant have too many pics of a car that looks that good.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres another one. My favorite hasn't been built yet, but if you put Silva's and Lopez in a blender, then added the twin chromed ford masters,chromed swing pedals and dash/steering wheel from the Ala Kart, you'd be getting close. Anyone have a magazine article or more photos of Ray Silva's car? I REALLY need more pics of this car.

[​IMG]

25. brandon

brandon

That black one with the halibrands is the $h!t?

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

My scanner unfortunately tries to resize everything to roughly the size of a battleship so it probably won't get scanned this time around. ('Course, her mom is in from Hong Kong and those folks always know how to make electronics work...)

I'm pretty sure that's the same truck though. Always dug the Merc caps on unreversed wheels like that, and that tufted interior works in that truck. Best part though is that not only does the truck still exist, but it is basically unchanged from these pictures. I see it at LARS and the Grand National Roadster show's cruise in every year.

27. bobscogin

bobscogin

Oh yeah!! That one is on the money!

Bob

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I knew it was in the same trim up into the mid sixties, because it appears in a couple group photos from that time frame. The pics I posted are from Jan. 63 Hot Rod. Hell of a nice looking car.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Personally, I kinda dig the 6" headlights on Lopez' car. They appear on a LOT of cars from that period, but no-one EVER does that anymore. One thing I NEVER see in period shots from that time frame is guides. Whats up with that?:eek::p;):D

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Guides just "got traditional" about ten years ago... I couldn't give them away before that!