Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any one shipped an engine cross country???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkee, Aug 16, 2011.

1. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

I need to know if anyone that has shipped engines from the west coast to the east coast. I'm in San Diego, Ca. and I got a 440 I need to send to a buddy out in Virginia Beach, Va. Can anyone help with a shipper/freight service that may be able to do it for a reasonable price. Name of shipper and cost would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

Can't help you on the price/selection, but it helps a lot on the cost if you can drop the engine off at the shipper's location (dock to dock transport) rather than delivery to the premises. This way they don't need to make extra trips with a lift gate truck.

3. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Been a while but last time I used freightquote and got a decent price. If you can put it on a pallet or build a crate and deliver to the shippind dock, that will cut the price considerably. Make sure you get adequate insurance.

4. yekoms

yekoms

We use Unishippers at work (a race engine shop) . They were recommended to us a couple years ago from another race shop. Haven't had any problems with them. I don't get involved with the pricing though.
    Smokey

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I bought an engine from a buy in WV...he strapped it to a crate, then lifted it into his pickup...took it down to Yellow Freight - they forked it off and shipped it here. I drove down to Yellow when they called, they forked it into the back of my pickup, I backed into the garage....knocked the pallet and straps down, hooked the hoist up to it and VOILA!!! - engine was in its new home. I think the charges were about $200...maybe a bit more. That was four years ago...I'm old and slow...probably twice that amount

dj

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have friends who raced the Craftsman Truck series and they asked me to help them ship engines from Florida to Kansas City to their engine builder.

I took a wooden pallet and then build a 2x4 frame on it and enclosed it with plywood screwed together. This way it was easy to pick up with a fork lift truck on each end.

I forget who they used for shipping but any trucking company can handle it.

Last time I asked them they had shipped engines from Florida to Kansas about five times using the same crate and set up.

Hope that helps. Jimbo

7. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

I had a Rover 4.6 short block shipped from CA to VA. The seller build a wooden crate and it went by Forward Air. No problems at all.

8. 61falcon

61falcon

i shipped a complete 8 inch rear axle from cleveland to cali years ago. i just searched frieght companies in cleveland and got an online quote from a company that picks up. i dont remember the cost but they did charge extra for needing a truck with a lift gate. it took 2 weeks to get there but it got there. and get the insurance.

9. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

With all the military people moving between San Diego and Norfolk I bet you could find someone with room on their trailer or truck that would be happy to take a few bucks from you for their effort. Try Craigslist..

10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I just shipped a Model B engine from Tulsa to Charleston SC. First I went to UPS Freight...$322. Then I went to Forward Air...$279. Last I went to Southeast Freight Lines...$210 insured...got there in 2 days.

All I did was take the engine to them with a chain attached, and they lifted it out of the back of my truck with a forklift and hauled it inside. Then the guy says "I'm going to need the tire you had it resting on in your truck". He put the tire on the pallet and set the engine on top of it and banded it down, then shrink wrapped it....made it just fine.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Anyone heading from Flint , MI to TX or to Speedweek in August that could take a 4 banger?