Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flames - Did I get it right? TRUTHFULLY!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xlr8er, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Works for me. You car reminds me of 1959-1960 AMT model car box artwork. :cool:

2. I have always loved flames on hot rods. Yours look great; but are done in a little more modern style for my taste. I am more partial to traditional flames like on Gene Sonnen's 40. Thanks for showing us your car.

3. NOT my opinion......just what I have been told. I think it just boils down to,does it work with the car or not.

4. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

I think they look good on your coupe................and you did it yourself !

5. Haha, I was thinking the same thing :D

6. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

They look gooood to me i did mine 1st time
    i tried did it with Krylon

Attached Files:

7. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

The flames make it a looker, and if you like lookin at it then you did all right. Nice flames, good on keepin'em simple.LB

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  8. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Well done. With flames, there is more than one correct answer. You have definitely found one of them.

9. Looks good. Cool car.

10. dirty4

dirty4

nicely done!

11. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I love flames! You did a nice job if you have never painted any before, especially with the color fade. But yours are too symmetrical for my taste. I like flames that look like real fire and have some variations.

12. Flames are an art form. There is no right or wrong, just pleasing or ugly. Yours look pleasing to me. So if you like them and I like them, no one else matters.:)

13. xlr8er

xlr8er

Thanks for the positive comments. The picture doesn't capture all the details. They're outlined in Progress Blue and there's a little bit of purple in there between the red and blue. In the picture, it looks like a quick transition but in real life I think it works. One of the designs had some cross over patterns in them. I liked them until someone pointed out that the black loops created by the flames looked like swimming little sperms - Can't have that!!

I did not paint the flames. I had a shop do them. The design was mine but the talent to paint them was left to the pros!! The shop's focus is on hot rods and bikes. Really talented group of fellas!!

Again, thanks for your comments. I guess the overall vibe is positive.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  14. Just that lil change nails it ...the originals are ok, these have movement!!!!

15. railroad

railroad

Classic, period correct, a little new color, great shape, all that car needs is a flathead perking away. Great looking total package.

16. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

not enough flame, color looks good but to small. picture above nailed it

17. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Ha!!!......I have been following your build through Jeff's frequent updates......I think they look just fine......not too overdone, nor weenie........just right, I'd say!

Brucie

18. flamed34

flamed34

First time I remember drawing flames was in the 3rd grade. Me and friends used to draw '30's dirt track racers all the time...and mine always had flames. About 20 years passed before I actually started painting flames.

Flames are certainly subjective...some like traditional (me), while others like seaweed flames, others like intricate patterns with multiple cross-overs, some like 3D shading, and others like tribal designs. Of course there's other variations of course...

What sets a good set of flames from an exceptional set of flames FOR ME starts with a balanced design: a perfect mix of positive (the flame) and the negative (the base paint color on the car), flowing lines, and suited to the body of the car. Execution completes the package: fades so gradual you can't definitively say where one color ends and the next begins.

I can never "plan" a set of flames. The personality of the car, the lines of the car, etc dictate the design. All I can do is start pulling tape. When I nail it I know it, but I might pull designs for 10+ hours before I get there...or get it in the first shot.

All that being said, I'm no expert. I think I'm pretty good...but I've been stopped in my tracks by EXCEPTIONAL flame jobs.

But flames are flames...if they are decently executed and match the build style, I always love them.

For my feedback: Personally, the "hoops" between the flames and the tips could be more balanced. The "neck" of the flames thin out more than I like...more like a seaweed flame...just a personal preference. Finally, there is more blue than I personally like.

But does it scream HOTROD? Absolutely! Good first effort.

19. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

I think its hard to rock the flames correctly.

Most fuck it up w/ bad layout, design or just bad taste.

I think you nailed it though. Looks swoopy & FAST!

Very nice.

20. I think they look awesome. Just enough for a small car like that.

Tony

21. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

you took my quote!!!!

22. I love flames. I like your layout just fine. I think the purple and blue are a little bit more "modern" for my tastes. I like red, orange and yellow, stripped with white. But if I saw you drive by I would still give you the thumbs up!

23. I like 'em! Like some of the others, the blue is a bit much, and I may have lengthened the top licks to match the radius of the front of the rear wheel.... but I certainly don't dislike them enough to change them. Great first effort!!!

This is my very first attempt at flames:
    [​IMG]

24. Davyj

Davyj

look good to me............i wouldn't change a thing

25. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

I think it was done tastefully which seems to be a rarity these days. Not exactly what I would personally have done but they are similar to the ones I put on my HD Sportster years ago just a different color combination. Good job!

26. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

They look sweet. Not overstated, not understated :cool:. I think flames that cross look like a street rod.

27. GREASER815

GREASER815

I like it. Looks traditional, reminds me of the old water slide decal flames I had in my model kits as a boy.

28. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Call 911 that car is on fire ! looks great, you got my vote! Hot rods need flames.

29. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

Nice flames on a nice Model A.

30. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

question is Do you like them? Who cares what everyone else thinks its your ride. With that being said looks good.