Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 Diamond T pickup tow truck project journal.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Dec 12, 2010.

1. hemibird43

hemibird43

i love it, i am building my hauler and boy what a project, but fun.
    keep up the good work.
    if you want to see mine search car hauler/flatbed

take care.

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Big step forward today, the truck is ALL painted! :D I'm really happy, the colors look GREAT on the truck, and I had NO fish-eye trouble (I didn't use the gun that was the source of the earlier fiasco). Stop by my blog for more pics and blow by blow detail of the job.

I'm a happy mother-trucker right now!

Attached Files:

Gojeep likes this.
  3. studhud

studhud

It looks good Im thinking put it together it will be one kool truck!
    Dave Hitch
    FBBF

4. Racrdad

Racrdad

Looks real nice Brian! So, since this project is nearing the end what can we expect to be seeing from you next?

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

After this is done, I'm gonna FINALLY finish the chop on the '59 T'Bird and get it painted. I'll have to change the 17" Salt Flats that are on it to post here though! When that's done, it's time to thin the herd a bit, and then a '35 Miller/Ford, Indy roadster inspired two place, staggered seat roadster I think would be fun. Jag 6 or an Alfa?

The tough part will be deciding what to sell. :(:rolleyes:

6. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Sweet! I was always wondering what the heck this thing was, just sitting in a vacant neighbors field.
    [​IMG]

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's official, it's a BIG SHINEY RED TRUCK! Check out my blog (below) but here's a teaser. It's starting to get good.:D

Attached Files:

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Wow. I need the hood trim and upper grill pieces from that if they want to see it go to a good home!

Brian

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Got the other pair of Dodge truck rims from my buddy today, complete with brand new, never on the ground Michelons. This pair is polished, which has made me abandon the idea of painting the wheels the body color. These things are KILLER looking on the truck, so I'm going to polish up 2 of the other 4 that I have, and use the two remaining machine finish, factory clear coat ones on our Spartan trailer.

I also bought a box of stainless machine screws to mount the box side panels. I'd thought about some trick, allen head ones, but when I found out how much that would cost, I cheaped out and bought a box of phillips head 1/4-20 ones. That was still expensive, but they look very good. Just as I'd envisioned.

Here's what it looks like, "blinged out".

Attached Files:

Gojeep likes this.
  10. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

As much as Id love to help, to use THAT for parts would be a catastrophic waste since its 100% complete as is, AND in phenomenal original condition as Im sure you can tell. I think I'd be a lot more willing to pass on his info if you wanted it for a build, rather then just to pull the odd part off of. Last I know it was running when parked
    Sorry Brian. If I see any other trucks like it (in "for parts" condition) I'll shoot you PM, but I think I'd much rather see that being used for a build then anything.

EDIT: I checked with the owner and it is for sale. PM me if anybody wants it. I think he wants $200-600 for it. Its located in Southern Saskatchewan.

For that kind of money Id pick it up in a HEARTBEAT! but I have WAY too much on my hands as is.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  11. studhud

studhud

I like diamond t's![​IMG]

12. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Your shootin' for Hot Rod Cover #2. I'll have to re-subscribe.

Jeff

13. 73RR

73RR

Anyone have a curb weight number on something like this???

14. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

^ I'd be surprised if it was past 8,000 pounds. Keep in mind, that is a two ton grain truck with a dumping wooden "box".

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That looks like a 306' which has the same short front fenders and hood as mine, but heavier frame and running gear. I'd like to own the truck, if we could get a HAMBURG relay going from Saskatchewan to Michigan!

Brian

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

LOL my spell check turned H A M B into hamburg!

17. 73RR

73RR

If the box was gone what is a guess on length?

18. FC49

FC49

There's only one thing I'd like to see changed on your Diamond T.

That would be the owner's name on the title.

I'm in awe of your bed design. It could not be more perfect for that cab.

Outstanding job!

Frank C.

19. Griznant

Griznant

That truck looks beautiful! The box is spot-on perfect, and the fact that you built it from scratch is even more impressive!

Hope to see it around the area sometime!

20. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

I dont know. I'd say about the length of a newer Ford F series extended cab. The box extends about 14-20" beyond the end of the frame, not much. Keep in mind the rear end has dually's though. So it would require an extra wide trailer, unless you were to remove the outside wheels.

The box would disconnect to the Hydraulic ram accessories & mounting pins in about an hour, then you'd have a much more manageable truck to transport. Its really not hard. Let me know if you want to make a move on it, and I can meet you guys down there and help out with the rigging & box removal. I'll only be down here until the end of Sept though, then back to Calgary until next year, so let me know soon.

Lots of more nice iron up here too!. These are all within about 100kms or so of that Diamond T, all 5 pages worth.
    http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/Graham_A_M/CarsandTrucks/

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Great pics, that stack of 26-7 T tourings made me drool a litle!

Brian

Oh, my wife informs me one Diamond T is plenty, so hopefully somebody will snatch up that 306 and give it a new life!

Brian

Lots of more nice iron up here too!. These are all within about 100kms or so of that Diamond T, all 5 pages worth.
    http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/Graham_A_M/CarsandTrucks/[/QUOTE]

22. Looking good. Very nice work on the bed and fenders, looks like it came that way from the factory. Looks like it will be a comfortable truck, fun to drive, and able to handle whatever trailer you want to put behind it.

23. giacom

giacom
    from Concord ca

Graham,
    Not really sure logistically how to work this, but I am interested. I have a 48 that has new running gear and really want to get one with all original drive train. If it's truly for sale please let me know.

Thanks,
    Jim

24. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

^ I wouldn't of said it was for sale if it wasnt.
    (Welcome to the Forums btw Jim!!)
    The truck is located in Wood Mountain, Saskatchewan, google that for where exactly that is, as you can see the big lot thats located in just south of town a bit.

Logistically, you can make a post on Uship.com, and see where that leads you. Considering your over in California, Id expect $1400 or so would be a good bet of what shipping would cost you, alternatively you can do what I did and check the local classifieds, when you think you've found a good hauler, ask for references.

I was quoted $1200-1800 on Uship to ship a half ton from NW Montana, to Calgary, Alberta (about 300 miles/500kms tops). (SCREW THAT!!)
    I found someone to do it for $400 just on the classifieds, so you can save a boat load of cash that way.
    Alternatively, I can help out with some of the rigging if you get it done very soon. Im leaving back to Calgary by the end of this month. Or next year in the spring I can help then.
    Let me know what works for you.
    Man I've been getting a fair share of PM's on it.

of ALL the cars & trucks in that link/gallery I posted, this has been by far getting the most interest.
    Maybe there is something about these Diamond T's I dont know about.

25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Four steps forward, one step back. That's how it was today. I managed to get the left side fenders and running board on without messing anything up, but put a (tiny) scratch in the fender getting the hood on. I know, I should have waited for help, but I thought I could get it.:eek:

At any rate, it looks fabulous, and since I discovered I need to fill a couple of holes didn't notice :)eek:) in the dash that the gauge panel doesn't cover, I'll be painting again anyway.

The pics show what it looks like all together, and there's more tiresome detail at my blog, if you click on the link in my signature line.

Overall, it's coming together just fine, and I can take of the little "goofs" without too much hassle.

Attached Files:

Gojeep likes this.
  26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

They're the coolest trucks ever built, THAT's what you didn't know before! I hope somebody gets it that really appreciates it, I looked for a long time to find mine, and sacrificed to get it.

27. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

^ Seems like it. Man its starting to grow on me, kind of wish I didn't have my '38 Chevy half ton Im doing. Otherwise I think I'd be on it right about now.

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Finally! Some progress on the Diamond T! All last month I spent working on my off topic '76 GMC Dually project, so it felt really good to get something done on the DT.

It's all down to the final assembly now, which is time consuming but everything done really makes a difference. Today I mounted the headlights, trimmed the tailgate out, and started tidying up the wiring. Lots more to do, but it's coming along.

Here are some pictures, and there's more at my blog @ http://flynbrian48.wordpress.com/

Brian

Attached Files:

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Damn thats looking fine Brian !!

30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Really rough week here. We lost our little Cocker Spaniel "Frankie", the best dog EVER, but I finally quit crying and got something done in the shop. Got the bumpers on the Diamond T, and it looks really, really good. Here's a couple pics, check out the rest, and my obit to the best friend I've ever had, at: http://flynbrian48.wordpress.com/

Brian

Attached Files:

Gojeep likes this.