Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not another falcon "GASSER"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrickTopp, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

And that is exactly why I was asking...please don't think i was saying he was doing anything wrong....it is my first drag car, and I wanted to know why he was building it like he was. It makes a lot of sense, I just didn't want to do a bunch of unnecessary work, for a car that was going to go 12 seconds if I didn't have to. I know drag racing costs money, but a nine second car costs a LOT of money!

2. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Well, if u don't like the looks of it after u polish it, I'll pm ya my addy!!! Killer work man!!!

3. Definatly looking good! Keep us posted!

4. El Coral

El Coral
    from Argentina

Its beatiful!!!!

5. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

heres the rest of the floor minus a few welded pieces. the tunnel was made and the patch panels i used are junk. they are the same ones that all the ford resto parts places sell. if your fixing your falcon floor, which most likely you will have to do. use that money and buy a bead roller and make your own. the floor is so simple and easy and its the route i should have gone. you can see how much i chopped up the pieces basically only using the stamped part. i thought it would save me some time but long run it took just as much to make em fit as it would have to make new ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. El Coral

El Coral
    from Argentina

7. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

I think an update is due. not much goin on other then sheet metal work and getting the body ready for the blaster. Engine and trans are out and just about everything is being broken down. All final welding is be done with the suspension on. The right side 1/4 is just about done along with engine compartment. Bodywork will go really fast and I can see light at the end of the tunnel for paint. Like i said not much for new exciting stuff goin on but things that do have to get done.

pics of the inner right tub and outer flare
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lower 1/4 repair
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

engine compartment being finished
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. SLCK64

SLCK64

JUst found your build!! A lot of info I can borrow for when I do mine.

You gonna make it out to the Meltdown drags? (in my sig)

9. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

No unfortunately the car and i will not be there. I want to but family vacation won.

10. SLCK64

SLCK64

Vacation in beautiful Byron, IL lol

11. HFKND1

HFKND1
    from Peoria, IL

Great build awesome detail work...........

12. passin gas

passin gas
    from Menifee

Shackles in rear, steering in rear - no handling or bump steer issues.
    F - wheels 3" forward on the Altered/Gasser Vega LOL

13. passin gas

passin gas
    from Menifee

PS ~ Great build, nice work ~ the wife wants a 64 Merc or Falcoon.... GASSER

14. 62futura

62futura
    from Colorado

Thanks for the build thread I am curently redoing my 62 futura and a buddy and I radioused the rear wheel wells and I was thinking the next logical step is a straight axle!! I built mine about 12 yrs ago and it already has a built 289 and toploader 4spd but now it is time for its next evolution which I think now is as a gasser.

15. 62futura

62futura
    from Colorado

Let me ask you a question if I put a straight axle under my car but dont have plans to drag race it is it still necesary to put the roll cage in and all the other structre?

16. Pictures in the October, '11 Hot Rod Magazine...page 13

17. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

close but incorrect. that would be strange bird, another bad ass falcon build on the hamb. search strange bird and you should find it

18. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

yes it is necessary. a falcon is a unibody not a full frame vehicle. the frame rails are made up of 16G sheet metal not 1/8" plate. if you cut out the shock towers you cut out the bracing for the front of the car. hit a bump hard enough theres a chance the top of your fenders might be a little closer to the top of your doors. but hey they have been putting M2 suspensions on these and i havent seen one bent in half yet. send me a picture if someone has.

roll cage is your call but my opinion....put it in and go racing!!!

19. Safari-Tracker

Safari-Tracker

20. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

This is great, just found the thread. The fab is awesome. I have to say the steering arm is trick as well as the flares. Can't wait to see more. LB

21. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

I'm special. I searched the entire thread and couldn't find it- what front wheel diameter/width and tire size are you using?

22. abone1930

abone1930

23. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

Front wheel is 15 x 4.5 and tire is 5.60 x 15. Id like to see what a slightly taller tire would look like but im also very happy with whats on there now.

24. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

I'm doing a '63 with a '51 Chev truck frontend and 15x4.5 rims and can't decide on whether to use the 5.60 x 15 or use 205/70/15 or 215/75/15. Getting the 5.60 up here would cost me about as much as buying the metrics, I just wonder which has the better look on the Falcon- the itty bitty 5.60 or the taller 205 or 215s.

25. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

Originally the fronts were going to be modern black radials with the sides buffed off. Then decided that the vintage repops were sweet with the patern on the side. My choice over all of them would now be the goodyear style diamond sides. Someone repops them(not cheap) and i know hurst racing tires recaps em. and they are a slightly taller tire which i really like. . . .There is a website that calculates all of the tire info and gives actual height and width. I, for the love of straight axles,cant remember it but my coworker does and ill get it. I suggest punching in your numbers for correct height and then cut it out of plywood with the correct bolt pattern, mount it up and see if you like it. plywoods cheaper. Next time ill probably go with a taller tire, but thats just what i like.

26. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

hah, good idea with the plywood- I'll take it down a notch and just paint some cut-out cardboard. I'd like to have the real deal but shipping up here kills me so I might just have to go with some hecho en china metrics if they look close enough to right.
    thanks for the suggestion.

27. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

hah, good idea with the plywood- I'll take it down a notch and just paint some cut-out cardboard. I'd like to have the real deal but shipping up here kills me so I might just have to go with some hecho en china metrics if they look close enough to right.
    thanks for the suggestion.

28. dirttoo

dirttoo

My fronts are Nankang 165/80R-15's on 15 x 4.5 Cragar SS wheels. Tires were recomended on here and I think the tread pattern looks good. I got them online for less than $100 for the pair shipped.

29. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

30. How close is the car from being on the road.