Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mod motor 1938 ford pickup build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by army67romeo, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. army67romeo

army67romeo
    from phx

Mod motor 1938 ford pickup build

4.6 dohc ford with auto
    37 ford car head lights
    8.8 3.73 or 3.50 gear locker explorer rear end
    pete and jakes ladder bar rear

Was going to do with a straight axle front but ran into trouble getting engine level and cross member interferce

Attached Files:

2. what are you going to use in place of the stock front end?

3. army67romeo

army67romeo
    from phx

custom mustang 2 from industrial chassis inc and coilover

4. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

I second on the mustang 2 front end. that will solve the clearance problem and make a nice driver

5. army67romeo

army67romeo
    from phx

I wanted straight axle and 4 bar but couldn't get power steering and get motor to set right wouldn't be able to replace a/c pump or p/s pump I tried to but it wasn't in the cards. There was other reasons to

6. HotRod33

HotRod33

who makes a wiring harness to connect up the mod motor.......?

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when did mod motors become a part of traditional HOT RODs and Customs?

answer: never.

8. army67romeo

army67romeo
    from phx

Hot rods where about put the biggest motor you could get your hands on in the 50s you would try and get a hemi packerd nailhead any overhead valve engine you could get.. You think a mod motor is a new idea. Lets see injection 50s it wasn't electronic but it was injection so are you still running points or you go with electronic ignition ? The cammer Ford was made in the 60s. I can put a carb on it. A/c and power steering wasn't hot roding. Disc brakes wasn't rodding .. I putting a motor that every one said wouldn't fit and I not cutting the firewall too. I am putting a Ford into a Ford and I plan on drive almost ever day

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
    Leon Grice likes this.
  9. Bad Merc

Bad Merc
    from Chi-town

If you are going with a mod motor they are notorius for lack of low end grunt. I would go for a 4:10 gear to wake it up a little bit. Not much difference over the 3:55. Also with the stock automatic transmission a tune will really help it with the shift points.

10. army67romeo

army67romeo
    from phx

If I run injection I'll have about 300at the wheels with the tuning I going to run and I am reworking Tran too both in the tune and and inside trans with stall and govner and more I want to drive alot thinking 3.73 but might go 4.10 I might do a blower m112 but that's a big might I want to drive it asap don't want to be a bench racer lol

11. charger

charger
    from manitoba

Nice build! keep us posted on your progress!

12. Bad Merc

Bad Merc
    from Chi-town

If you have the trans out look at doing a J-mod to it. Helps it live longer. Go on www.mercurymarauder.net to see pics on how to do. I bought an 03' Marauder new and immediately switched the gears from a 3:55 to 4:10's. Using the regular overdrive trans I only lost 1-2 MPG's and revs went up about 400 rpms at 70. It responded a ton better on the low end side. Only mod on the trans I would do is the jmod as the rest of the tuning for your Trans application (shift points/line pressure) will be done via the tune.

I am running a stroked and blown mod motor now (460 HP at the wheels on 93) and my trans has continued to survive. Not sure how much longer :)

If you go with the roots style blower (eatons) stay away from the stall. Power from roots is immediate and I found my best results at the strip is with a stock stall. Others have gone vortech/procharger route (kicks in at higher RPM's) and 3000-3500 seems to be the stall to use

Cant wait to see your ride built- It will be awesome!

13. Looks like a Streetrod build to me......What a waste.

14. army67romeo

army67romeo
    from phx

Ya j mod is what I was going to do I have the 97 trans with most of the better stuff in side going to put small stall converter in ...ps more pic to night got front cross member and boxing plates cut .. And started working on headlights 37 car

15. I think you joined the wrong website.

16. Bad Merc

Bad Merc
    from Chi-town

Not trying to start an argument but I think he joined the best website out there! :) I think it is pretty cool that he is sticking a mod motor in an old truck. It seems to me it's the same as people have been doing for years -fitting newer motors into old cars and trucks.

I understand trying to keep it original but I consistently see guys on this site putting in sbc's and air conditioning into their rides. That's not really consistent with the theme here either but it seems to be tolerated. I dont really see the difference from what Army67Romeo is trying to do.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

he did join the best website out there... he just has no clue as to what it is we are about. and since you think mod motors are cool then you are clueless as well.

go join that hotroddres.com site, they think just like you guys and could give a shit about traditional HOT RODs and Customs.

there ought to be a test for people before they sign up.

18. Bad Merc

Bad Merc
    from Chi-town

Wow....that was pretty rough. And I thought traditional hot-rodding was using the parts you had to make the best rod you could. Silly me -forgot parts have to be before the 60's to be good.

I guess I will see you guys chiming in on some of the posts here with rides being built with -AIRBAGS@!

Later.

19. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

damn 49ratfink who pissed in your Cheerio's this morning?

20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I want to keep an eye on this tread. I also am considering a mod motor transplant into my truck.

Question for those of you running blown mods, a friend of mine built a setup to run on his, but has been told its a HORRIBLE idea and the motor wont last, how'd you go about building your motor to hold it?

21. 117harv

117harv

49ratfink is right. Bad Merc and the OP, if you had been members longer you would have seen this type of subject come up and it allways gets the same replies. Yes there are other items that don't seem to follow the trad. but get by, the reasons are many and varied. Some items as long as they are out of sight get a pass, and even though this engine will be under a hood, it still will get negative responses here.

The OP can build it how he wants, and that is great but to post pics here and expect us all to give you a thumbs up, isn't going to happen. Hell some build threads fit 100% into the rules and still get negative feedback. It looks like you want a new truck, power brakes, steering, ifs, engine,etc. just an old styled body....that says street rod to me:cool:

I'm not trying to be the bad guy, i had abit of negative replies when i first joined, but by watching, reading and asking questions you find out the true intent, flavor heart of the HAMB. There are a ton of great pics, info and members here, don't take a few replies that seem to mean spirited or rude as though we don't like you. If you are a true hot rod and custom fan, welcome.....but we do have rules.....:cool:

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you were wrong. posting a mod motor here is like posting a Camaro on a Mustang site.

23. army67romeo

army67romeo
    from phx

These motors hold at 300wheel for over 150000 all the time they will run over 7000rpm all the time. I have a mark VIII with 280000 on the motor I still beat the sh#t out of it at lights with hondas

24. Bad Merc

Bad Merc
    from Chi-town

Funny you should say that -because that is exactly how I feel when I see people putting SBC's into Fords!

I am still not sure why posting a mod motor on here is so taboo? It is a Ford built V-8 motor. It is not foreign built and it has some big old valve covers that look cool. The guy was building it himself and he was fabricating parts like most of the people on the HAMB do. He did not seem like the typical Rodder who just pays for his' ride with a check. I personally would not do what he was doing because I like the old flatheads better but it seemed like he was using what he had.

I am not trying to start arguments here and my intention was to show some support for a guy that was using the parts he had to make his truck run -that's all.

25. Bad Merc

Bad Merc
    from Chi-town

Pls. send me a PM on this matter if you want more info. Thanks.

26. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

its pretty simple why hes getting flack...if you read the rules this place is pretty easy to get by...I still dont get why people are always suprised by the reaction of posts like this...take 5 minutes and read...its crystal clear

click the link below for the rules in case you missed them the first time
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44274

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's all I got to say.

28. 1931av8

1931av8

Funny you should say that -because that is exactly how I feel when I see people putting SBC's into Fords!

no clue

Sorry -I dont usually take the easy way out.

Having a traditional style Ford with a traditional SBC, I can tell you for fact that it was not the "easy way out". It is exactly what guys were doing with their old Fords in the late Fifties and early Sixties. That is what this site is about. I could have bought a crate Ford and had been time, effort and money ahead of the Rochester injected 327 with 461x heads that I used instead...to be traditional.

Mods: Time to put this one to death.

29. Bad Merc

Bad Merc
    from Chi-town

Having a traditional style Ford with a traditional SBC, I can tell you for fact that it was not the "easy way out". It is exactly what guys were doing with their old Fords in the late Fifties and early Sixties. That is what this site is about. I could have bought a crate Ford and had been time, effort and money ahead of the Rochester injected 327 with 461x heads that I used instead...to be traditional.

Mods: Time to put this one to death.
    [/QUOTE]

I was not trying to offend the traditional Hamb person who is building a period correct car. That was not the object of my comments nor the context I wanted to present. Sorry if I offended you. I am now finished with this thread.

30. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty cool old truck even if it does have a modular engine in it ,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.