Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Belvedere 4 Door Gone Mad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racrdad, Sep 16, 2009.

1. jipp

jipp

morning, looking at the picture of the side profile my eye is brought to the rear well. do you have any of the original stainless from the old car left? if so you could maybe weld/bend it to mold around the rear fender. i think that would finish off the car. just a thought.

chris.

2. I wanted him to put a 413 long ram in there - I even did the art for it . . .

[​IMG]

No one got used to the SBC - they just moved on. I am mailing a quarter (Canadian so it's worth more) towards a Hemi, Big Block Mopar, Small Block Mopar, Slant Six, or Flathead Six for that matter.

3. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

Doug, the grill came out looking great!! I like that look better that the first attempt.

4. bab59

bab59

Just went through the whole 44. Nice work...Its so inspiring. I have an idea...

5. Bilt

Bilt

Wow!!!! This thing is turning out awesome. Nice to see scratch built original stuff that is made up as you build. I just spent the last four hours reading this from front to back and now I'm subscribed!!! Get it done and bring it to Salina 2012!!

6. Racrdad

Racrdad

Since Rob got his shirts made I am pretty motivated to get some but its just a money issue right now.

Most of the trim was in pretty bad shape on the car. I did save what was reuseable but probably only the stainless that goes on top of the fins will get reused.

Since I had a low mileage sbc crate engine and this is a low budget build thats what I had to stick with. I would have used the poly motor that was in the car but somebody had pulled the plugs years before and it was froze up big time. I priced a complete rebuild kit for it but it just didnt make sense money wise.

Will be on the lookout for that Canadian quarter! :D

I would be happy to get myself to Salina car or no car! Its on my bucket list of places to go.

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Doug, the progress is outstanding......Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Racrdad

Racrdad

Finally got out in the garage and did something today! Front shock mounts have been on the to do list for quite some time now. So I dug thru a few boxes and found some tabs, grabbed a set of f100 shock mounts and started cutting stuff up. Not a big update by any means but I havent had a chance to work on the car for so long any progress feels good right now. The mounts still need a little finish work but I am happy with them so far.

DSC02740.JPG

DSC02741.JPG

DSC02745.JPG

DSC02746.JPG

DSC02748.JPG
    DSC02751.JPG

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. robleticia

robleticia

Looks great! Any progress is good progress! It's always something that is keeping me out of the garage, dang kids! haha! I really like how the perches angle out with the buckets, flows good!

10. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Looking good Doug! I am officially a BCS resident again, so next time you boys have a garage party, give me a shout.

11. Racrdad

Racrdad

Great to have another HAMBer back in the BCS! You have your cars tucked away here already? Next garage party is probably a block party. Block sanding that is! HAHA Everybodies favorite kind of party, right? :rolleyes:

12. robleticia

robleticia

How about we combine the two, sand first, drink later!

13. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Did you say block sanding..........I just so happen to have a top the needs some more block sanding!

14. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

wild ride Doug

15. robleticia

robleticia

Yeah, he did! Where were you this weekend?

16. robleticia

robleticia

*****These just in*****

Spy photos of Racrdad removing the front suspension and JMD82 sleeping in the garage!:eek:

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Wow it has come so far, so fast. Looks great what color are you going to paint it?

MrC.

18. robleticia

robleticia

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............don't ask him that, his A.D.D. will start acting up!

19. metalix_421

metalix_421

20. robleticia

robleticia

cough cough update cough cough

21. Noland

Noland

looks awesome,at first I thought I was gonna be bummed that you cut up such a nice car but the end result was way worth it.

22. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Nice build. I wish I had the skill to do something like this. I'd love a small 1 or 2 seater conversion on something.

23. 76cam

76cam

WOW just WOW!!!!!!!

24. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

That is so cool. Makes you want to go out and find a more door to cut up! LOL Problem is I'd get it all cut up then never finish it :) I'm anxiously waiting to see your finished product man!

25. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Damn!!!!!! Doug this is looking sweet! I have a few more things to finish up am I will be back at mine in full effect. I can't wait to see the end result of this.

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Smooth!! Man thats looking sweet...I cant wait to see some more!!

27. Racrdad

Racrdad

Since changing it back to spring over axle and getting the tie rod behind like it should be there was not quite enough room between the tie rod and frame for suspension travel. Rather than notch the frame we just cut the spring mount off and moved it down 1/2" since thats all the additional clearence needed. Rob and Jason finished welding up the axle and hairpin mounts, welded the mount back on and reassembled the front end and we called it good for the evening.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  28. Racrdad

Racrdad

We got a fresh start the next morning. Jason sprayed some guide coat on the body and then he jumped right on the grille shell. Rob and I blocked the body and did a little touch up body work on some small spots. After all the blocking it definately is getting there. Once we were done Jason mixed up a batch of high build primer and layed on a couple more coats. The body is looking very crisp and sharp now. I am really happy with how its looking now. A couple of spots needs a little attention and block it all one more time and I think it will be good. The grille shell still needs a little more work but its getting close too. Rob came up with a nice plan for some brackets to mount the exhaust on the side so the mounts are barely noticeable but very strong.

Gotta give a BIG THANKS to Rob (robleticia) and Jason (jmd82) for driving all the way to my house to work, I couldnt do it without these guys!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  29. Racrdad

Racrdad

Not 100% sure on color and layout of paint yet but probably somewhere in this direction. My photoshop skills arent the best but this is my favorite I have come up woth so far. Once we actually are ready for paint and start laying it out I am sure it will change some or alot!

Attached Files:

30. Racrdad

Racrdad

Trust me it wasnt a nice car we cut up, Rust Bucket would better describe it. Glad you like it!

I think it takes more patience and willingness to do stuff over when it doesnt come out right than it takes actual skill.

Thanks 76cam!

Just gotta be willing to stick with it once you start. Now go find something and cut it up!

Man I cant wait to see some progress on the Kosmikart, been watching your COE build thread too. I am jealous, I have COE on the brain these days.

Thanks koolkemp! Glad you are liking it and still watching the build thread for updates.