Register now to get rid of these ads!

Relix Riot III Gilmore car Museum Hickory Corners MI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Low Flying A, Jul 5, 2011.

1. CayoRV

CayoRV

Question for the club members. In years past cars that were not quite "traditional" enough were not turned away, but were asked to park in a somewhat segregated area. Will that be the case again this year? I only ask because I have had several friends express interest in going but their cars, in my mind anyway, may have some features which may not be accepted. I'm not talking big stuff, things like maybe an electric water pump or a piece of billet on the engine. I'm asking because if they make the trip and aren't allowed in at all, I would prefer that they not make the trip at all. Alot less crap to deal with for everyone, especially me!

Chuck

2. Low Flying A

Low Flying A

Chuck- you have brought up our biggest monster. I will try to answer it the best I can. As you know, we do try to park the cars that we consider to be “traditionally styled” in the area near the diner, service station and tent. The only thing that we have a big sore spot for are billet and late model wheels. We can’t go around being the traditional police saying what goes and doesn’t because we sometimes aren’t able to build our cars with the parts that we would like to either due to availability or cost or both. We know there are parts that are on cars that aren’t 50 years or older coming through the gate, and that’s fine. We use those parts that make our cars drive better, handle better and make them more comfortable too. It’s just the billet, foose, boyds, s 10 s, ect wheels that we look out for. This will be the case for as long as we run this show. The Relix CC/MC and Gilmores Museum aren’t going to turn anyone away at the gate unless its post 64 car or 66 truck. As far as being parked in a “segregated” area, you have to remember that Gilmores is so big that there really isn’t a bad area to park. There are buildings, barns and trees everywhere to grab some shade from. Here’s what I’m thinking you’re wondering. If your car comes in and is considered traditional and your buddies car doesn’t , are you guys going to have to park in separate areas? According to the postings and the flyer, yes. Do you really have to do that? NO. Instead of not bringing the “questionable” cars, as a group, find somewhere that’s not the center of the show and park where you d like as a group. I guarantee you will still be right in all the action. We are just trying to set the foundation for the future of this show based on preserving the heritage of old hot rods, customs and bikes built in traditional style by guys and gals with junk yard/swap meets finds instead of it being taken over by fiberglass billet street rods cloaked in industry grown parts. They have enough of those shows already. Did I answer the question? We hope you all decide to come.

3. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

I think that was well said

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Little bump to the top. It's just like waiting for Christmas! :D

5. CayoRV

CayoRV

Low Flying A,
    Thank you for the very eloquent reply. I want to make sure you weren't offended by my comments with regard to the term segregated. Perhaps a poor terminology choice on my part. I agree with all the reasoning and choices you guys have made over the past couple of years and don't want to see any changes at all. Your judgement is what has made the show one of the best in the midwest in my humble opinion. I would, and have, told friends with cars obviously not traditional in appearance or build components that this is a show best attended as a spectator for them. The others, and the ones I referred to in my previous post, have only the occasional billet pulley on their water pump or in one case a completely traditional type machine with an electric water pump on his BBC. I believe these cars are both close enough to be there but would respect the opinion of the club as to the proper location for them to be parked, together as a group or not. You are right, and for those of you haven't had the good fortune to have attended a show at Gilmore's, there is not a bad spot on the grounds.
    In a nutshell, I understand the what the organizers are looking for in the participants and will try and convey this to anyone asking about participating. I also respect the fact that they haven't deemed themselves the "correct police" and allow participation by those who may have tried their best but perhaps only missed on one or two minor details.
    I have been very impressed by the way this show is planned and executed and very impressed with the Relix club members I have had the pleasure of talking with at this and other shows. I sincerely meant no disrespect to anyone or the way this show is run.

Chuck

6. 1 week from today I hope to be sitting back in my home after enjoying a couple days spent with good friends, looking at some cars, and enjoy driving my old truck a couple hundred plus miles. I can't wait.... Btw lets hope the weather forecast stick 79 and sunny sounds perfect.

7. Low Flying A

Low Flying A

No harm at all Chuck. Its tough to come up w an appropriate word to describe that situation. We dont want to have to separate anyone that day because we know if you showed up at the Relix Riot, you are a like minded hot rodder like we are. Otherwise you d be at the nightmare cruise. One or two small parts that arent era specific or period correct isnt going to be an issue. Like said before, we are just wheel sticklers. It really can make or break the build of a car. Pre 64 built wheels (repops are okay) are the only thing we are critical about. Hope to see ALL of you there in less than a week.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  8. CayoRV

CayoRV

I wouldn't miss it! I'll look ya up on Saturday.

9. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Is there going to be a swap meet. Didnt you have one in the past.

10. Yep on the Swap Meet bring your cool stuff out for us to buy!!!

11. koolkat269

koolkat269

i look at it like this, you have the show area for the traditionals and you have 2 parking areas, 1 for older cars that don't meet the criteria like my 67 el camino(which is 1 year to new) and one for the "regular" people lol.

12. koolkat269

koolkat269

We will be there this year again with my dads 34 pickup on it's maiden voyage.

Attached Files:

13. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I thought the segregated area idea was brilliant last year and no one I talked to was upset by the seperation.
    I will seeya there!
    Coming over from Iowa so I hope some people will purchase some stuff so I can get gas money to get back home!

14. voodoochili

voodoochili

Heading up on Friday with the Indy crew....can't wait!

15. Low Flying A

Low Flying A

One area for traditional cars and one for "older" cars that dont meet criteria? How much older can you get than most all of the cars that are coming to this show? Post 64 cars and post 66 trucks are not considered "not meeting criteria." They are condsidered spectator cars because they are too NEW and we do have a place for them to park......the spectator lot.

16. koolkat269

koolkat269

So then are you saying you're not letting the "art cars" in this year either?

17. Low Flying A

Low Flying A

Now what do art cars have anything to do with who parks where? Bring the pickup and you'll be just fine.

QUOTE=koolkat269;6860165]So then are you saying you're not letting the "art cars" in this year either?[/QUOTE]

18. Hoping to make the maiden voyage with my new fleetline, (I know, I know, I change cars like underwear in the last year and a half) Daddy-o, LoveofTiki, Randy, I hope to see all you guys there, I have been wanting to go to this place all summer, as I have never been, so what better time? Sounds like an AWESOME show.... Maybe I can find some trim rings and bullet or spyder caps while I am there..... Here is my new one, these are pics from the P/O.... I REALLY liked my RPU, but it was just impossible for me to get in and out of, sat too hig, and was a stick. (I am paralyzed) Hope to see you guys there!!!! Gonna throw my hand controls on tonight and make some shakedown cruises!

The radials gotta go, and I am probably gonna bag it, because michigan roads suck ass!!!!!!

-James

In its new home at my house....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics from the P/O....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I dunno about this interior, it is for sure getting some tuck n roll on the door panels and whatnot, and although gaudy, the seats are brand new..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's a nice look'n Chebbie. See ya there!

20. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Wow! That's pretty cool James! A couple personal tweaks, and that thing will be really bitchin'!

...and I "almost" don't mind the interior!

21. Thanks fellas!

LOL about the interior... I think the chicks might dig it? Who knows or cares! I'm gonna cruise the piss out of it!!

James

22. derbydad276

derbydad276

ok help me out here

can some one explain the pre 64 car pre 66 truck thing
    what is traditional style?

my barely OT f100 is too new even though it was built while LB Johnson was president
    that Im trying to do up as a speed/ repair shop truck
    has a metal grille / no plastic ,
    no cloth on the interior,other than indian blanket on the seat
    king pins and 4 wheel drum brakes with 60's style slot wheels
    doesnt qualify?

23. Low Flying A

Low Flying A

Its not how you are building the truck that doesnt make it traditional. Its just being newer than a 66 is why it cant get in.

QUOTE=derbydad276;6861144]ok help me out here

can some one explain the pre 64 car pre 66 truck thing
    what is traditional style?

my barely OT f100 is too new even though it was built while LB Johnson was president
    that Im trying to do up as a speed/ repair shop truck
    has a metal grille / no plastic ,
    no cloth on the interior,other than indian blanket on the seat
    king pins and 4 wheel drum brakes with 60's style slot wheels
    doesnt qualify?[/QUOTE]

24. Wow James I like the new ride. I hope you make it over. I gota get some stuff done to the truck for the ride over as well. The weather looks great for the ride over after work on Friday and for the show on Saturday

25. koolkat269

koolkat269

that is one sweet ass car james

26. For those of us coming over Friday night do we pay on Friday and than show up again Saturday? We didnt pre register and was wondering. Looking forward to it

27. Low Flying A

Low Flying A

For anyone coming in friday, look up a club member to pay early so you dont have to get in line sat morning. You can even leave your cars where you want them to be parked. I beleive betwwen your headlight sticker and a wristband will have you taken care if.

QUOTE=loveoftiki;6865391]For those of us coming over Friday night do we pay on Friday and than show up again Saturday? We didnt pre register and was wondering. Looking forward to it[/QUOTE]

28. Low Flying A

Low Flying A

If anyone would like to do a hamb meet and greet feel free to take the raines on it. Plenty of landmarks at Gilmores to organize one and enough hambers will be there.

29. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

starting to pack the truck with fresh goodies for mass consumption.
    hope ya'll will look me up - last year I was by the gas station - hope to get the same spot!

30. Will be there Saturday. Coming up from Indiana with my friend Eric in his 49 F1. Look forward to meeting some more Hambers. Does anyone know what the weather up there looks like for Saturday? Down here they are saying rain off and on.
    Matt