Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects M/F-ing HOT RODS, '32 3W build for a HAMB member!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELpolacko, Aug 12, 2011.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Seriously? WTF is your problem? It's bad ass, and so is the engine. Get over it. :mad: Why don't you post up some pics of what you've done. You no intro, no pics of your ride, run your mouth guys kill me... in no world should you be able to criticize El P's work... Dude is sharing pics of the some of the best work you will ever see. And you want pump up your post count with drivel like that...

2. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

Looks like a pretty nice hot rod in the making.

I am glad to know that my car sucks because it has a S10 frame, I knew all along that it sucked, I just didn't know why until now.

Those transmissions are really tough, they will take a beating at the dragstrip all day long and cruise home in OD... Really a good option for anyone who likes to beat on their cars. The TKO is a much better than any "period correct" stick transmissions available in the 50's or 60's.

3. Don't sweat the petty stuff man, It's a traditional enough. Not as if he's going to run fake Olds covers or use a headlight bucket for an aircleaner...

4. Mean Green

Mean Green

I think I would consider a flat motor too... or a Y-block, or an early hemi, or.....even a Nailhead Buick...certainly the trans bellhousing adapter would be a deciding factor in engine choice. The manual trans is cool addition.

To the OP, I assume you plasma cut and weld up your own parts for the early Fords.
    They look real nice, how difficult is it to fab up a 32 style in a home garage? Do you have to have the frame table? Thanks for sharing the cool pics.

5. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

By the late 50's the typical SBC was beating the shit out of flathead engines at the dragstrip and circle track. The AFB's are probably a little new, but that is an easy switch later.

6. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Im looking forward to the pedal assembly mount, I mounted mine to a plate i made that mounted to the t-5 body. Its not that great so Id like to see how this one goes.

7. F&J

F&J

Speaking of Olds...:)... why is the car owners brand new transmission hooked up to an Olds 371 ? ..are you going to test it out good before putting it behind the SBC?:D

8. Mean Green

Mean Green

Just noticed the link...ah so El Polacko you have a very nice set of resources to work with....very nice stuff. I'm still curious about your opinion on a home Hot rod build? Gotta start somewhere?? I really like what you're doing with the Coupe.

9. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

10. READ WITH CAUTION: OPINION AHEAD

Re-read please: Up front apologies to those of you building patina-d farm trucks on S-10 frames, but the HAMB is for HOTRODS! And it's time we do something kickass.

Notice know where in that sentence did I use the word "suck" to describe yours or anyone in particular. I am not fond of frame swaps and clips tend to give me the creeps. If you go back in my post history, you will notice that I have gone out of my way to help guys sort out their poorly installed or problematic swaps and rarely make judgement on their choices. Even though I find those choices to be lame and off topic to the HAMB, I respect Ryan and his cadre of mods the wide path they have chosen to accept. I do find it funny you took offense enough to add your bit of snark to this post.

But to expound on my opening sentence, I don't come to the HAMB to see displaced mini-truckers trying to co-opt a style of vehicle and call them traditional hot rods. I want to see real traditional hot rods and customs. Not rebodied mini-trucks.

And to round out my thought, yeah I have been very rough on guys in the past and I am in no way apologetic about it. I have grown sick of slapdash homebuilts and ratty rods and customs. I will continue to call it as I see it and I want to see everyone, EVERYONE, push themselves to build better. Poverty is no excuse for lack of ambition.

The Tremec is a fantastic trans.

:cool:

11. 57fordlover

57fordlover

i have a 32 3w too.since 1969.my dad got it for me,when he knew i was coming home alive from nam.lucky me!

12. Not my choice. Engine is still cool.

How ambitious are you? You know, I started out by hand cutting parts with an acetylene torch and grinding everything to shape. I have just come a long way since then. You can still do this with persistence, method and accuracy. Do it, do it methodically and use a tape measure. ;)

I have early Offenhouser VC's on the shelf, Anthony had restored AFB's waiting at home. I have a couple of 4jets that could go to the cause.

What this guy says.

Start simple and stick to the plan.

I was mentored by a great hot rodder, he had three platitudes to build a kickass hot rod by:

1. Simple is hard. anyone can keep adding shit
    2. Yellow shocks. Stick to a few basic colors and don't draw attention to stuff you don't want attention being paid to
    3. You can't make just one change. Even the smallest of changes will effect a long string of things you didn't want to mess with.

13. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

from page 1 ...wanted a period correct for a late 50's to early 60's build...

TKO
    AFB
    MSD
    Angle plug heads

My coupe does suck, I openly admit it to pretty much everyone, the chop wasn't done right, the motor doesn't make anywhere near enough power, the 2-3 shift is slow and it looks like it isn't going to get into the 9's anytime soon.
    It is a period 91 build done by a teenager with no money, no tools, and very little talent.

As I said, your building a pretty cool hot rod.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  14. Mean Green

Mean Green

Seems the "rat rod" thing is a touchy subject round here. I like traditional rods alot...a chevy motor just won't be in the one I build, LOL. I'm very interested in doing my own work...I have a complete welding setup and can fab fairly well...to a point. But I don't have room for a frame jig / table. I was curious if there were alternatives to this method of setup. I really like the style you were doing. Eh.. I've had a few Tremec's in mustangs, I'd rather use a toploader. :D

Just read your response....very cool I can use the torches well. Thanks for the tips!

15. Thick skin my man...

TKO is a reasoned choice for driveabilty. Same goes for the new Winters QC.
    AFB (Edelbrock carbs in fact) may or may not stay along with the silver painted Offenhauser intake.
    MSD is my mock up distributor and will not stay.
    Angle plug heads are OG GM iron head and are the owners choice.

It's all good my man, cheers!

16. Yep, ratrods suck. I equate them to "Art Cars"

I do to, and I would suggest you build your car to suit your needs and values.

I built my first frames on flimsy jack stands on an uneven concrete floor. I used bubble levels and kite string to check level and squareness. Like I said before, measure.

My fab table and fancy equipment don't make me a better fabricator in the same way a spoon didn't make Rosie O fat. They're tools, and my stuff isn't the best money could buy. I have bought crap tools, been given crap tools that don't work and bought a few nice things along the way. I try my best to take care of what I do have and build my collection as I go. I didn't get here overnight.

206tee likes this.
  17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Oddly enough, I have a Hot Rod magazine from '59 or '60 around here with a cover blurb touting the virtues of the brand new AFB... Amazing that it's not some how period correct. As far as the trans goes, Frank Oddo once wrote one of my favorite statements about vintage Hot Rods, "As far as I'm concerned, nostalgia stops at the firewall...". If it improves the breed and is not readilly visable, I wouldn't worry about it. In my own case, one of the many reasons I have always built cars "too low to drive", (then driven the wheels off of them) is that when those that want to look under my cars and point out my misdeeds, they're in a perfect position to give a corrective kick in the rear to!

Deucedreamer likes this.
  18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

HEY!!! So the concrete floor is still uneven... At least the jack stands are a bit better these days!!!

19. I love this line. Well said. :D
    Nice build too. :cool:

20. bonesy

bonesy

This is about the coolest build I've seen on the HAMB, and some folks are complaining about it's components?!?! Amazing.

21. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Bitchin Hot Rod, great work, awesome craftsmanship. I'm subscribed.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Truly amazing!

23. bostonmike

bostonmike

Hahaha ,a spoon didn't make Rosie O fat !!! Awesome Steve!

24. quoted from above.

But to expound on my opening sentence, I don't come to the HAMB to see displaced mini-truckers trying to co-opt a style of vehicle and call them traditional hot rods. I want to see real traditional hot rods and customs. Not rebodied mini-trucks.

And to round out my thought, yeah I have been very rough on guys in the past and I am in no way apologetic about it. I have grown sick of slapdash homebuilts and ratty rods and customs. I will continue to call it as I see it and I want to see everyone, EVERYONE, push themselves to build better. Poverty is no excuse for lack of ambition.

This could not have been said any better. This is one of the main reason why I hang out with Elp and Needlovers and guys like this, too push me to be a better builder. Also they have become close friends of mine that know there stuff and all of you that are bashing this build need too stop, look, and learn. The money issue is bull shit. HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT. If you want it bad enough you will work hard for it and then it makes the ride in the car for the first time that much sweeter. I drive the crap out of my coupe and I am always making changes on it to make it better and more rock solid so I can continue to drive it all the time.

So in closing please stop basing the thread so it does not get closed because this build is going to be top shelf once its done.

25. The quick-change, which one was chosen? will you guys be fitting a A rear crossmember, or making something to suit?

Again, appreciate the build thread, and despite the petty drama, love your attitude El P., spot on.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

26. 296ardun

296ardun

Just staring at the pics...never attained this level of craftsmanship, so really admire the skill and effort ... SBC, so what?? given how long they have been around, they are traditional now...

27. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

Ok ladies , this is only in mock up.

I am not married to a complete trad setup. You guys ever tried to find parts for flat motors, olds, orhemis when u aren't at your own shop? I have already been there, done that, got the pics to prove it. This car is being built to THRASH the F-CK out of it. Anywhere anytime and not worry about breaking parts.

If some of u guys will just be patient you may learn a thing or two you can use later.

If the intent was to go strictly trad, i have all those components to pick from. Any of y'all ever repaired a 39 box 500 miles from home? How about a gutted banjo cause you romped the clutch? Ever just stopped in Billy bob's parts house for a flathead fuel pump rod? this is mine and I am not doing it that way!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  28. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

By the way, induction will probably end up being a Rochester fuelly unit. No modern ignition will show, will prob be a converted points distributor.

29. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

Andrew,

I went with the new winters unit cause it Is a posi unit, so I didn't have to compromise with an open Ora spool. I did consider thehot Rod Works unit, they offer a great service and conversion.

Winters says I can't break this unit, I plan on pressure checking it to see!

30. Hi Anthony!

Just did a video of the driver front part of the X-member. The computer is crunching away and as soon as it's processed, I will post it up.

Channeling my inner Jamie Hyneman, gawd I need a haircut.

For the rear suspension, I am going to build a new rear crossmember. The flattened 32 bit just isn't going to work. The new one will look somewhat like a hybrid A and B but will bolt into the stock B frame holes. The spring I intend to make similar to an A spring but without the reverses. 35-36 Rear bones and Bilstein shocks. Going to probably sneak in a torque rod in case this thing ever hooks up.