Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Found an old race track-With pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe T Creep, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Harps

Harps

Awesome pics, and I really dig the old tracks, and all the stories that go along with them.

2. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

Since we are taling about tracks that has closed in the past, how about North Wilkesboro speedway? My girlfirends parts live right down the road from it and I drive by it ever weekend. From the website I added there are 2 races scheduled for next year. There is a ton of history in the track and as you can see from the website and images that its still in good shape. There is also talk about having some car shows and swapmeets at the track. Thought it would be some good info for you.
    http://www.savethespeedway.net/

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I too am moved by roaming around abandoned but once great sites.
    There's a following of folks that do "Urban Exploring", the practice of going through abandoned fatories, buildings, amusement parks, etc. Some even get into old tunnel systems, etc. There was a great HAMB post on a section of PA. turnpike/tunnels that was fascinating. It's a look back at our history.
    If the Middle Georgia track tunnel was assesable, it reminds me of something wwe'd see on the History channel's "Cities of the underworld". What a cool show that was.

"Why cant there be any places like this out near my place in CA?" Because the land has always been too valuable. It gets sold/rebuilt. Taxes and codes are insane and don't allow for standing abandoned buildings to last long. That's why you don't see abndoned Drive-In's, factories, etc too often in Socal.

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The racing community here in GA got some good news this past week. The new owners of the Senoia, GA track are going to plow up the asphalt on the 3/8 mile, high banked track and go back to dirt as it began in about '67-'68.
    The track was paved a number of years ago and the attendance had steadily declined to the point that last year there were only 2 or 3 races, put on by racing associations that tour the region and race at different tracks each week. Not enough local cars to put on a decent show.
    Meanwhile , further to the West and much further from the population explosion of exurban Atlanta, a little country dirt track in Whitesburg, GA packed in a good field of cars and a big crowd every Sat. night. To the north of Atlanta in Woodstock, GA at Dixie Speedway, which began as dirt, was paved and eventually went back to dirt, there was a huge field of cars and an enormous crowd every weekend.
    So a trio of entrepenuers has decided to stick their necks out, purchased the track, have plastered "GOING DIRT" on the billboard on GA 16 just West of Senoia. And presumably they are now digging up the asphalt!
    I wish them well and certainly plan to be at the first race.
    Actually I'm thinking of talking with the sports editor of the local newspaper about covering the races for the paper, just for the fun of it, if they'll fund my expenses.
    Whaat do yall think? Are my writing skills up to par for the job? I know I have the knowledge to give it some good color and all that. Honest comment welcomed, pro or con!
    Dave

5. Robonwhls

Robonwhls
    from Macon

The senoia track just started on tues laying down the dirt OVER the asphalt. From what i read on another board the owner is LEASING the track to 3 individuls for 5yrs. Take that for what it is. If the dirt doesn't bring in the crowds and cars again then i'm afraid it may go the way of another subdivision. And another LOST GA.Track.

Rob

6. Heckler

Heckler
    from Austin, TX

Those pictures remind me of that show on the Discovery channell about what would happen if humans disappeared from the earth......

7. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

I may have to take a ride down there and check it out. Not too far from me.

8. k9racer

k9racer

in the summer of 2008 the Ga. Auto Racng hall of fame group wanted to have a meeting and photo shoot at the old track and the property owner told us no way and said we would be arrested if we trespassed...So we moved our meeting a eating place called ''chevies''........ cool name huh..........Bobby.......

9. Robonwhls

Robonwhls
    from Macon

Hey are you Bobby Varnom from Huntsville??? We got parts for our car from you a few years ago.

Rob

10. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

this would be cool to make a street legal clone

[​IMG]

11. k9racer

k9racer

Correct thats me and I was glad to help out with the parts..The car came out very nice. After Hoot and Semore passed away a lot changed in the vintage racing in Warner Robins area.

12. Robonwhls

Robonwhls
    from Macon

Yes it did. Ever since daddy passed we've only shown the car i know twice. Hoping to get out more with it in the new year. Still not an easy thing to do. I'll have to figure out how to post a picture on here,all the old ones posted so far have been great to see again.

13. racingjunkie66

racingjunkie66
    from Byron, GA

This is actually my home track. I am hoping that they will re-open it. I have heard some rumors about them doing this, if they do i want to buy a race car to race here.

14. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

If I remember correctly,the track photographer there was a guy named Doug Showker. I believe he's still with us and he probably still has his original negatives.

15. Great Photos, I love to see these old tracks and then hear some of the history behind them. Thanks again.

16. DPDISXR4Ti

DPDISXR4Ti
    from New York

17. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

DUDE!!!! Joe, that's too fucking cool man...... And all you guys with the info and pics and stories.... WOW!!!! That is the BOMB.COM!!!!! HAHAHA!!

18. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Zoning can be changed back. Issues with neighbors might be able to be worked out. That $985K price tag is what will keep the place from reopening....at least as a weekly track.

19. brandon

brandon

Cool thread.......lost america found

20. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

check out kossmotorsports.com, go to pics, click on MGR that show was this past march. There are several shots of my 47 chevy in there, I live about a mile from the track. Haven't heard anything about any racing but they are planning on having more shows,swaps,and things of that nature. I drove the 47 down there when they were filming the commercial,got approched by an "official" looking guy, asked if my car was an old dodge, I couldn't bring myself to say "hell yea"

21. DPDISXR4Ti

DPDISXR4Ti
    from New York

Would have been funny if you did and nobody was the wiser - and so they then ended up including your car in the shoot! :D

22. PinHead

PinHead

Good to see some of these tracks being resurrected with dirt. All the local tracks that I can think of here and back home are dirt, and they all have a great local following that goes back years. Figure 8's are especially popular, and the bigger oval tracks try and bring in the sprint cars whenever they can.

With the popularity of NASCAR these days, I wonder why local paved tracks don't succeed these days? Are the cars built to run on them just too spendy, and the guys with that kind of money would rather just run a sprint car instead I suppose?

23. In a way, you kind of answered your own question. Next year NASCAR is running their "sportsman" race (Busch Series or whatever it's called this year) at the Speedway with the Brickyard 400. That's one less race at Indianapolis Raceway Park. Sorry, I can't bring myself to call it the "Lucas O'Reilly Motorsports Park" or whatever it says on the sign now. :rolleyes:

24. k9racer

k9racer

I hope the track will reopen..

25. dennisk

dennisk
    from Indiana

I'm like you to me it will always be Raceway park no matter what the sign says!
    !

26. kkwrfd

kkwrfd

I grew up within 6 miles of this track. I would go there with my dad almost every Saturday night to watch them race. The track stayed open until I think 1982. I can remember standing outside my parents home and hearing the guys practicing at the track and begging my dad to take me to watch. I actually went to the track in 1996 with my 95 z-28 6 speed and raced around it to feel what it was like. I loved it, but almost lost it coming out of the 2nd turn. :eek:Kind of a pucker moment for me. :D I was able to get up to about 75 in the straight-a-ways, not to bad for at that time a stock z-28. Had to kind of leave quickly due to the fact I was more worried about golf balls flying over the rails than my car. I really miss that place. Last time someone tried to open it alot of the neighbors of the track had a problem with it.

27. MikeF21

MikeF21
    from Perry, GA

I went there as a kid with my dad. I was born in 1964 so was only 6 or seven years old. I live in Perry, about 15 miles away. There was also a crazy-eight track in the infield that they ran each night as well as smash up derbys. We run asphalt stock cars and some dirt at other local tracks today. N.E. Woodard, the father of two of our drivers, raced there and won the last race ever ran there. He tells a story about a race team out of Florida that would bring two identical '34 Fords, one they raced and the other had compartments built into it that they would fill with moonshine. Great memories.
    There is a racers reunion being held there May 19, 2012.

28. MikeF21

MikeF21
    from Perry, GA

Google Middle Georgia Speedway and learn alot more.