Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wal-Mart Batteries ( Buyers Beware)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48 Poncho, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Most likely your going to find the same parts made in china or mexico at Autozone or napa as well as Walmart. As far as Walmart not careing for its workers, The people seem to be happy working otherwise they would quit. People need to look past the Walmart front door greeter and realize that Walmart employes many people in its community, landscapers,truck drivers,electricians,plumbers,heating/air repair,pest control.painters,local delivery drivers,ect.

2. Maybe a bit off topic but I wonder how many "traditionalists"drive or own imports,seems to me that would be the biggest profit maker for the offshore companies.

3. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Every Walmart I drive by , the parking lots always seem full.
    They must be doing something right ?

What was the old saying "Give the people what they want and they will beat a path to your door"

4. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

As an employee of NB, thanks!

http://vimeo.com/13681136
    http://vimeo.com/12089224

5. Many people are forced to buy the cheapest . Political choices are easier made when your little ones have a full tummy.To many just being able to gripe about the demise of the state of North American manufacturing sector is a luxury they cannot afford.People are in a survival mode,working two or more jobs to make ends meet. I consider myself fortunate to be able to have a hobby I can afford and enjoy. ...So ends the sermon :)

6. 65 Imp SS

65 Imp SS
    from central mn

Maybe the computers that we are using to post.....

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Buying batteries is like buying milk. It does not matter where its bought, if I don't see a fresh date on it I move on.

8. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I'm guilty of owning a couple of imports.

Import #1: 1987 Subaru GL 4x4, purchased about six years ago for $35. It was broke at the time so it was a good deal and it is a 4X4 that gets about 35 mpg. It's present condition is, broke again.

Import #2: 1996 Subaru Legacy L AWD, purchased last year for $810. I bought it for my wife and daughter to share in the winter. The thought being that it would run cheaper than another Jeep or 4X4 pickup. If you saw my driveway you would know why I want 4x4s for winter use. It's present condition is, broke. I need to put a water pump in it before school starts, time is getting short and I don't want my Lincoln Mark VIII sitting in the school parking lot.

Both of my imports were so old I didn't think it made much difference if I bought them and I like the 4x4 car thing. I have a 1989 Ford Tempo AWD that has been broke for several years. I keep thinking that I will run across another AWD Tempo parts car sometime so I can fix it but they are fairly rare and the new parts for it were scary in price. It was far cheaper to purchase import #1 and a parts car to fix it than buy the new parts for the Tempo.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another anti-Walmart post? The hidden topic here is how to shop "smart", isn't it? I bought some new boxers at Kohls, even though everything in that line of clothing is now import, hey, it wasn't wally world. So across the street we go to wally world for disposable supplies for our salon. Just as a goof I go look at the same product. Now I mean the same right down to the stocking number. 1/2 PRICE!! Seriously? Same product? Yes I returned my goods to Kohls. Like I said, shopping smart is the issue like a sale on oil, antifreeze, disposable shit, I mean why pay double? I support as many local buisnesses that make sense to do so, and last I looked Wally World is a USA based company. Wake up already.

Maybe a battery is a ood thing to buy there with the cost of such things on the rise. I don't know for sure but you gotta buy smart (check the dates!) no matter where you get it. Even a mom n pop NAPA store, better know what you're buying.

10. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Because if you're unemployed you usually don't have a lot of money, and so you buy the cheapest products.

It's easy to stand on principle when you're not under fire.

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Last night my British ass was in the American Kohls with my French wife and American daughter. We drove our Mexican Chevy HHR. And this thread still sucks.

12. s1buell

s1buell
    from Indiana

A month ago I purchased a car that the battery went dead in last week. I looked at the battery and it was an Everstart Maxx that came from Wal-Mart and had a 3 year full replacement warranty. It was dated 12/09. I took it in and they told me that had to test it and it would take an hour. I came back an hour or so later to find that they had a test print out verifying that it was indeed bad and that I should take it and a new one to the service desk. At the service desk they asked for my receipt which I told them I did not have but the battery had a manufacture date less than three years. The associate scanned the UPC of the old battery and the serial number and the register printed a receipt that validated that it was under manufacturer’s warranty but would not let her do a replacement. She called the manager and the manager looked at the tag and asked me if that battery was a replacement, I said I do not remember that to be the case and it was probably purchased in January of 2010. She said yes that indeed was purchased January 19th and that it appears to have been a replacement of a battery purchased in 08 and that we are outside of the 3 years of the 08 battery. Long story short she did an over ride on the register and I ended up with a new battery that would have been $104 w/tax. They are getting high tech on these things.

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

There is a Johnson Controls plant here in Red Oak that makes the cells for car batteries.

14. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

absolutely JUNK batteries

15. Chopped26

Chopped26

You get what you pay for and a 36 month battery is as cheap as it gets. But after reading this thread I still dont think I want to start riding a horse.

16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Walmart has the exact same problem that most of the car manufacturers have and that is they sell the products the consumers want to buy.

Car manufacturers are trying to build and sell electric cars but the problem is average consumer that walks into a showroom wants to purchase something else.

I really can't blame the car companies for building trucks and SUV's because that is what the consumer is looking for not some square shape car or truck that you plug in at night and you can't hear it when it's running.

We blame car manufacturers for building trucks that don't get good fuel mileage but when most guys purchase a truck they don't want to smaller version they want a bigger truck.

There is a reason why Walmart is so big and that is because the consumer is trying to stretch their bucks as far as they can.

When I shop for food and head to the local food store I see our far $100.00 bucks goes and then I head over to Walmart and for the exact same $100.00 I need a second shopping cart. If you don't believe me try it for yourself.

17. slammed49

slammed49

Again?...maybe if we,me,you,him,her...or whoever would not need $30-$40 an hour,full benefits and a lifelong pension plus 6 weeks a year vacation and a fuckin' union... we,me,you,him,her...would all still have jobs...do you think that shit is all available in the country where everything we buy is made?...check you TV,car stereo that you love to listen to your favorite music on and whatch your Speed,4X4,Playboy ect shows...that come to you on digital cable from a box made in?...we screwed ourselves and they were smart enough to capitalize on us being tight and greedy too!...sorry for the rant and Im sure I pissed people off but WE ARE ALL GUILTY.

18. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I'm still waiting for the smooth talking WalMart rep to come in here to tell us how high quality their batteries are.

-KK

19. well said!;)

20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Watch future posts from those knocking Walmart but then bragging that they bought a $10 grinder at Harbor Freight.

21. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Actually if you read consumer reports magazine, Walmart batteries ranked at the top beating out the likes of Die hard, Interstate and AC Delco. I dont Work at Walmart either.

22. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Amen, Most of these Walmart haters are posting the hate on there Chinese or Japanese computers and taking photos of there traditional cars and trucks with a chinese camera. EVEN YOU UNION TEAMSTERS !

23. marine batteries are where it is at. I've got 2 and they have lasted a long time - like 5 plus years. Knock on wood please

24. gregneun

gregneun
    from SoCal

Usually get my batteries at Pick A Part. I just look at MFG sticker. Most of the new ones are made in Mexico now, I think.

25. sk8ncruz

sk8ncruz
    from pratt, ks

yea we all know big box stores suck but we still shop there, yes I do work in walmart automotive, and yes just like the big chain parts stores and most retail, we all have good and bad(stupid) employees! we all don't live in big city area where we have lots of choices, the number of service stations, parts stores, and mecanical shops, etc. continues to decline so we have to shop where we can(not only due to walmart). most customers when shopping for tires, batt. etc. dont come in and ask for the price of the best they can buy. 80%+ of everyone I deal with want the cheapest they can get by buying. in our area our batt. were made by excide(salina,ks) but now johnson control(st joe.mo) has the contract, they all come with a serial number that records the date sold on them that makes things easy for customers and us. its all clear 1, 2 or 3yr replacement no proration, if not sure save you sales ticket, it is your responsabilty. just cause someone peels off the date code stickers and says they just got it, they have a date code burned in the case also and if you dont have a ticket thats the date we have to go by. sorry for the rant but had a asshole customer today agure that he just bought his (yellow) 5 yr old batt last year and we were gonna replace it and this just hit me at a bad time. the manufature requires us to test the batt. not walmart. sorry you had bad luck, but I have more people come in and buy our batt. & complain about other supplyers demands for warr. than ours, very seldom do we ever have a problem replacing them except for the customers that seems to have the same issues wherever they shop. sorry again for my rant if I want to hear walmart bash I can go to a anti-walmart sites. walmart still gives me a fair wage evey payday so I can do what I have to do & enjoy my cars also! lets just move on.

26. timathis

timathis
    from san diego

For a legal defense all of the below is my opinion which I have a free right to express.
    Walmart in El Cajon, Ca does test the battery.
    You don't just walkin and walk out with a new battery.
    They run a 15 minute test which says good or may needs charging.
    You then wait one hour for them to charge the battery.
    The machine then prints out a form basically says exchange battery or screw you. I am forty miles one way from this store and out gas and three hours. Wait in return line with 8 people to turn in battery then wait in return line with 17 people to pick up battery.

I had a five month old battery. Will not hold a charge for three days in my 2004 f-150. The original 10 year old ford oem battery is bad but not that bad. My truck will recharge the battery as long as I drive it once a day.

1. In the "old" days a real tech would check the battery.
    2. Then they moved the battery testing inside to the tire and battery clerk or clerkstress.
    3. Now the lady who takes women clothing returns does the testing.

I ask to talk to assistant manager and the young lady is called.
    I am standing talking to her and behind her back on the wall is a 4foot by 5 foot sign that says customer satisfaction guaranteed. I pointed out the sign and told her I was definitely not satisfied. She says that sign does not apply to batteries. I asked to talk to a real manager and she says the manager has gone home for the day.

I told her that I would bring the battery back tomorrow and I am pretty sure that the battery is not going to test ok tomorrow. At least I don't think it will run very good with urine instead of acid. She says fine.

I take five minutes to leave the store holding the battery in the air and announcing my opinions of walmart batteries and their guarantees as loudly as I can to give the most people the opportunity to hear me. I get several thumbs up from people waiting at the cashiers. As is my policy I am now dedicated to making sure I let as many people know as possible hopefully costing them much more in sales than the $25 credit towards a new exchange battery purchase.

The store made a very bad customer service decision here Whether the battery is good or bad but having taught technical electronics for 32 years I know a bad battery when I see one.

For a legal defense all of the above is my opinion which I have a free right to express.
    Unfortunately for me and wallmart this is not the end of this!!!!
    Tim

27. timathis

timathis
    from san diego

I have one that wallmart says is perfectly good and only five months old I would be happy to sell you. I will take 15 dollars for this $72 dollar battery.

28. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

is it 2011 again?

29. Boy is that guy gonna have egg on his face when he realizes he wrote that whole big thing and no one is going to give a shit.

30. James Curl

James Curl

I bought a new Milwaukee right angle drill and it is made in China and I paid Milwaukee made in USA price for it so what is a person going to do. I bought it at McCoy's lumber co which is a chain headquartered in Texas but not a big box company. I have some Porter Cable sanders which are not cheap, bought them from their web site and do not know off hand where they were made but they sanded a 2500 sq ft wood frame 90 year old house to bare wood and were dropped from 25' a couple of times and they still perform as new. They are 6" right angle oscillating sanders and cost $125.00 each and would have been cheap at twice that price. When I can buy a product that performs like these two have so far I do not care where they were made, would prefer USA made but buy the best I can afford that will do the job for me. If all I need is a one time or occasional used tool I go to Harbor Freight, why pay two to four times the price to have it on the wall or sitting in a tool box. I can use the money to buy something else that I need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.